Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Want to Upgrade Sound System ... Need your HELP!! please?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-02, 06:09 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few things:
1)I think you could probably fit a 6.5 hex component set in the doors, but it would take some creativity (and money).

2)I think maybe a couple people who know about car audio should get togehter and come up with "packages" that people could buy online, somewhere like "sounddomain.com". I did this with a few others on a navigator site and it really helped. We decided what we would do if we had a set budget, e.g. $2000. We then included everything like wiring and priced options such as more subs, install etc. It would probably help out a lot of people.

3)Gene if you sell your car, you still have to come to CL, your wisdom is needed.
Old 07-02-02, 09:01 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Re: 8" Rear Speaker

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge

Damn Gene...running old school...that symmetry was a great piece. I just picked up an Orion DEQ-30 that reminds me alot of it. At the push of a button I can go from "normal" listening, to competition set-up, to SPL and I have one setting left to play around with.

Cam...I agree with the 8s in the rear doors, it would definately destroy your soundstage. Although I have seen them successfully used, I personally do not care for the Diamonds, but that is your decision. My favorites are the Quarts. Specifically because of the way the tweeters perform. Just keep in mind that installation and application are 90% of how anything will sound.

Email me today or tomorrow, I won't be near a computer all weekend starting Thurs., I am doing some hardcore tweaking and cleaning, plus we are working on 5 SPL vehicles, trying to get a head start on Texas Heatwave. I'd love for you to drop by the shop.

Gene, will you be at Heatwave? Are you going to the TX State Championship this weekend?

Todd
Todd,

Have you listened to a properly tuned out Dynaudio tweeter yet? I've had LOTS of MBQ sets...and I found them very disappointing after I listened to the Dyns.

Obreigheim plant sent me a couple of distortion graphs for the MBQ Q Series...their top dog. There's so much distortion going on in the midbass and in the high tweeter range that it's not even funny. Worst figure is around 10 percent with normally driven power at 1 watt rms. This is for the 2nd harmonic and 3rd harmonic distortion. I'll try to dig up the graphs for you. VERY interesting. But, I'll give MBQ credit...at least they'll send you the graphs, unlike the Rainbow Reference speaker guys...they want 8 grand for the speaker set and they WON'T release any distortion information.

Percy
Old 07-03-02, 06:04 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Originally posted by biggie27
camren the 6.5" diamond audio hex's wont fit up front there too long according to my installer they would hit your window, your better off with the 5.25" up front and 6.5" in the rear and if your just getting one 12" then go with IDmax awsome subs or maybe a alumapro one of the cleanest hitting sub out there, I heard it next to a JL audio sub and there was no contest the alumapro was way cleaner
I thought the 6.5 was a little big for your car, but I also thought that maybe they redesigned enough to accomodate a drop in 6.5.

As far as subs go, IDMax is okay, Alumapro is over-rated but still good, I HATED the JL (new W7)...it makes the bass sound like an old school system with a Audiocontrol Epicenter on it. It moves alot of air, but NO volume. Also, check out TREO Engineering. That is what I run and I'm 7 for 7 (1sts) in competition. Also, check back into the Quarts.
Old 07-03-02, 06:18 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Re: 8" Rear Speaker

Originally posted by Percy
Have you listened to a properly tuned out Dynaudio tweeter yet? I've had LOTS of MBQ sets...and I found them very disappointing after I listened to the Dyns.

Obreigheim plant sent me a couple of distortion graphs for the MBQ Q Series...their top dog. There's so much distortion going on in the midbass and in the high tweeter range that it's not even funny. Worst figure is around 10 percent with normally driven power at 1 watt rms. This is for the 2nd harmonic and 3rd harmonic distortion. I'll try to dig up the graphs for you. VERY interesting. But, I'll give MBQ credit...at least they'll send you the graphs, unlike the Rainbow Reference speaker guys...they want 8 grand for the speaker set and they WON'T release any distortion information.

Percy
Two reasons why I won't use anything different...

1) I just hesitate to change when things are working so well, I've been winning everytime out so far. Even though Finals are in November, I get scared about switching components mid-stream...that bad-karma, voodoo thang. LOL!! (Although, we may be doing it anyway.)

2) My friends shop is a Quart dealer and I want to support them. I suggested they pick up one of the "Extreme High-End" lines (specifically suggesting Dyne), but they sell too much Quart to jeopardize their dealer status, especially since Fosbreak bought them. We'll see about their quality under RF and if it drops the tiniest bit, the Dynes will be in the next day.

Something that graphs can't account for is the human sensory system. Just about anything properly tuned will "sound" better than the best titanium, silk composite 7000 pound strontium, cast B.S. ( ) products out there improperly tuned. I get max points on mid-bass everytime, distortion or not.

The Rainbow(s) look completely bad-a$$, but like you said, you can't get alot of info on them and you sure can't get a demo unless you fly somewhere. Then they place a $8G sticker on them.
Old 07-03-02, 09:10 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you really have to have the 8" midbass in doors, I would only recommend Illusion Audio 8" midbass. As any of their woofers, they are really shallow and can be mounted in our doors. As far as sound goes they are quick, have A LOT of output and pretty quick for an 8" driver.

If you are going woth 6.5's I would get either Image Dynamics CX@'s (2 ohm version) or Digital Designs WM6. These are pretty accurate and have mad output capabilities. Now you can always try Dynaudio or Rainbow Pro midbasses but they would work better in a pure SQ system with low bass output. They are a little more accurate but not as loud.

Percy, you have to listen to the new Rainbow Platinum tweeter. Two independent people compared then to Ezotars in detail.

Gene...stay with Lexus man. If you get a Vette, then you will hang out on their boards instead of here!
Old 07-04-02, 08:04 AM
Percy
Senior Moderator

Retro,

How much are the Rainbow Platinum tweets? I have a pair of esotar T330d's at home and would like to do a head to head comparison....with a SACD modded source. (evil grin)

RR,

I can see your point...it's tough to get everything tuned out just right! The quarts in my previous install were a pain in the a$$, especially in the midrange with a small door enclosure. Dyns changed all that and freed up 5 parametric bands. (I was using two 6 band Mc parametrics) It got to a point where I sold a parametric since I didn't need the extra bands with the Dyns.

Percy
Old 07-10-02, 01:39 AM
BabaBooey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have to call Rainbow up for price on tweets alone. I've seen the midbasses/x-overs on sale sans tweeters at teamamp.com, but never seen just the tweets. I can't say anything bad about the SQ of Rainbow's tweets, but I've read a quite a few people having problems with the circuit breaker on x-overs going off so as to protect the tweeter. And they weren't exactly feeding there components gobs of power, usually between 150-200 per side.
Why not compare something more interesting?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...&st3=-80865274
Old 07-14-02, 02:42 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The Symmetry is a great piece, I'm using one right now, but it would've been nice to have the option of steeper x-over slopes. Maybe they weren't selling enough of them to make it profiteable (they're pretty spendy for someone who isn't really into it).
Old 07-14-02, 05:21 PM
Percy
Senior Moderator

Kyle,

Just out of curiousity, how steep is the slope you're running? 24dB/oct?

Percy