Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Nav Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-10, 12:52 PM
Khaan4645
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Nav Install

I just can't seem to find any info on installing an aftermarket system into my 2004 GX470. I want some sort of touch screen Nav/CD/Sat/Ipod setup. Do any of you have suggestions on where to look for info on this? I really appreciate any help. Thanks!

By the way, I have talked to the dealership about just upgrading to their stock nav system but she said it doesn't really work like that. Also talked to crutchfield and they said they don't have any information on my car type.
Old 07-14-10, 02:37 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into factory audio system integration units - like the Kenwood KOS-V500 or KOS-1000.

You could utilize a aftermarket nav with the kenwood unit, but I would keep the stock lexus one.

I installed the KOS-V500 for my buddies' Infiniti M35 - kept the stock nav, had to route all the audio channels into the integration unit, wired the integration unit to master audio out towards a 4 channel amp and a subwoofer amp, and replaced all of the factory speakers (the stock speakers had impedence was lousy for aftermarket amps).

We then installed 2 monitors in the headrest, Ipod video connector, a backup camera, and a DVD player. (Everthing swapped in were kenwood)

The only thing we kept from the stock system was the NAV and the CD Changer.

It's hella expensive, but my buddy hasn't regret it since. (it's been about 3 years...)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-79luf4P...=detailed_info

I think other manufacturers make integration hubs as well, but I for the life of me can't remember them lol... JL Audio probbaly makes one

------------------------------------------------
EDIT

I wrote this thinking you have the stock lexus navi. If you don't, you can look for a dash kit for your car and just add a head unit with navi, ipod, etc already integrated into one unit. I'll post links if I find one...

Last edited by 9aristo; 07-14-10 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-14-10, 03:12 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

expensive, but if you couple this kit with a kenwood navi unit, you'd be a happy camper.

Oh i recommend kenwood becuase thier navis are Garmin-based. EASY to use. I'd take the kenwood navi over the stock lexus navi anytime. I hate looking for an address on the stock lexus one - enter the address number, check. Enter street name, check. BUT then BAM! select street - North Main St? South Main St? N Main St? S Main St? North Main Ave? What address not found? Then the the heck would you list it? stupid lexus navi lol.

Dash Kit:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...430-lx470.html

Kenwood unit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113DNX9....html?tp=20222
Old 07-14-10, 08:07 PM
Khaan4645
Driver School Candidate

Yeah should have mentioned that it is the stock cd/tape player. Thanks for all your advice. I don't have any experience with this type of stuff at all. I think I will go with your suggestion though and have always been a fan of kenwoods decks. That particular one looks amazing too. So that dash kit in the pic you provided is grey? To match my cars interior? Hard to tell in that pic. Now my other question is should I upgrade my speakers as well?
Old 07-15-10, 02:36 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Should look into beatsonic for a dash kit interface. Its expensive though but will allow you to use an aftermarket double din head unit in place of the stock system.
Old 07-15-10, 07:49 AM
9aristo
Pole Position

You will not need to replace the speakers as long as you purchase the approphriate wiring harness (it plugs into your factory plug that goes towards the amp, which in turn connects to your speakers).

My cousin has a 2004 Toyota Sequioa that required an emulator that tricks the factory amp into thinking the factory radio is controlling it. This emulator is the bulk of the wiring harness cost (on a regular car, the wiring harness is about $20 at most - your car along with other toyotas/lexis with factory amps that require this emulator? almost $120)

YOU WILL NEED TO FIGURE OUT IF YOUR CAR REQUIRES THIS EMULATOR (obvious signs would be the JBL premium speakers). Here's a link to one that is procured for your model:

http://metradealer.com/api/vfg/view-product/id/TYTO-01

Also judging by that dash kit I linked earlier, it looks black...

But to sum it up, you need the kenwood deck, dash kit and wiring harness...

the deck already sports the built-in nav, cd/dvd (mmm dvd movies...) and ipod - the sat radio requires the install of an external antenna and seperate tuning module. after installing the deck i'm sure you'll be tempted to install additional headrest monitors (my cousin has 5, 2 on the first row and 2 on the 2nd row and one visor one for the front passenger. i also setup his deck to play movies on the main display while the suv is in motion).

Last edited by 9aristo; 07-15-10 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-15-10, 08:07 AM
9aristo
Pole Position

HiloDB1's suggestion is pretty good.

I'd shop around a try for a better deal. The link directs you to a page that pretty much combines the wiring kit with the dash kit, for $266...

http://beatsonicusa.com/stereo/stere...avigation.html

it looks black as well lol

look like you order the parts separately as well, so... shop around!
Old 07-15-10, 12:37 PM
Khaan4645
Driver School Candidate

Haha. How are they ALL black?!?

Just got off the horn with beat-sonic. They only have black. I'm slowly beginning to give up on this whole desire to have an in dash system. I really can't believe it's so difficult to get a decent system put in without going to the ends of the earth to find all the pieces. I'm waiting on one return email from a place here in Houston to answer the possibility of it being done. If that falls through I guess I'll just have to start saving up for a new car in 2015!! Thanks for all the help though anyway. I appreciate it.
Old 07-15-10, 02:27 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

I think black matches better - the radio you are removing is entirely black anyway...
Old 07-15-10, 05:21 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Are you trying to install a double din unit but your car doesnt have the navgation screen? I know a professional shop that can do that for around $200, it would be molded in. It's over on Bellaire
Old 07-15-10, 08:19 PM
Khaan4645
Driver School Candidate

I sent you a pm funcrusher, but if you didn't get it, please send me the name of the place you are referring to. Yeah that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Thanks!
Old 07-16-10, 04:31 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Khaan4645
I sent you a pm funcrusher, but if you didn't get it, please send me the name of the place you are referring to. Yeah that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Thanks!
What's up man. They quoted me to install a double din in my 2002 Es about $200. I think that would look a lot more professional and factory than purchasing something else you know? Very professional place, they treated me just like everyone else when i had my old beat up car i use the one on Bellaire
www.americanaudioconcepts.com
Old 07-16-10, 10:11 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Holy ****, $1,100 for an aftermarket unit is absurd even with that "discount". If you have a weekend. read up beforehand and are slightly inclined to work on your car you can do the work yourself. I installed a Pioneer Avic X710BT in my 01 ES for a total of $550. That includes the unit, dash kit, harness and two ground loop isolators. I probably saved $200-300 by installing it myself and the only issue I have is slight background noise. I have nav, bluetooth, audio via disc/usb/sd card and video and can add backup cam, hd radio and sat radio. What I lack that those upper end units have is a larger screen (mine is 5.8"), dvd playback and extra usb slots. Not worth twice the cost of the unit IMO, and Pioneers X Series is a big improvement over the previous F series in reliability too. Check out the link in my sig. You can do it