Sponsored by:

Help! Head Unit Installation problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-02, 12:32 AM
jewelberry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Head Unit Installation problem

Just attempted to install new headunit (Nakamichi cd-45z) into my '95 ES300 Using Metra wiring harness. All the lights and funtion buttons seem to be working but I can get any sound from my speakers (which are still hooked up to factory amp). Even more scary is the fact that in just a few seconds after leaving the unit on the head unit heats up like a mothaxxxxx - so hot to the point that I can't hold it in my hands. What could be the problem with this accumulation of heat? All the wires are hooked up correctly using the harness, fuses in place and when I switch back to my factory stereo everthing works fine - any ideas?
Old 07-05-02, 01:37 AM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you have to bypass that factory amp! Right now your trying to amplify the inputs with the Nak deck...take the factory amp out of the system,and you'll be good to go!
Old 07-09-02, 09:29 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn't use the wiring harness on mine, but there have been some discussions in the ES forum on it. You can probably find some info by searching there. I think you might have to use the RCA pre-outs from the Nak to somewhere on the harness that will transfer that signal to the factory amp. Don't quote me on that, but I thought I'd gathered that from others' posts.

Did you use the Metra dash kit too? I can't believe they'd sell a mismatched piece of ***** like that.

I'd also run a new, heavier ground wire rather than using the one in the harness. This may help with the heat problem and will help keep noise out of the system. I ran mine to one of the bolts under the dash, there isn't a good spot under the console. Some head units just run hot, but your case seems unusual, and I've never heard that associated with Naks.

BTW, which wire was the power antenna wire in your car? I haven't been able to get my antenna to work with the new HU. HU is fine, I can't find the right wire or somethings wrong with my antenna. I hardwired and the diagram I went from was wrong, I figured out the rest of the wires I needed, but not the antenna.
Old 07-09-02, 10:20 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Default Power antenna

That power antenna needs two different wires to operate I am pretty sure....it does in most toyota's. I'd also probably stay away from using the rca outs to try to use the factory amp, because you'll be losing most of the clarity benefits that the new Nak cd player could have offered you, not too mention probably doesn't put out as much power (as sad as that sounds) as the new aftermarket piece. Just my thoughts, don't quote me.
Old 07-10-02, 01:07 AM
jewelberry
Driver School Candidate

Default Power antenna

This is my guess on the power antenna Kyle:

During my attempts to find out what is causing the extreme heat to my new head unit while using the metra harness, I tired hooking the unit up with and without connecting the power antenna connection and the remote amp power up connection (to the factory amp) one at a time. It turns out that if I don't have the remote amp power up wire connected (meaning I must have the factory amp turned on), even if I have the antenna wire connected the power antenna won't function.
So my guess is that GS3InPhx is correct in requiring two wires for connecting power antenna and in our case (ES300), that second wire is connected from the headunit to the factory amp first, then relayed to the antenna in the back. So if you don't turn on the factory amp, antenna will not function. If you still have the factory amp sitting in your car you may be able to find the wire that is relayed to the antenna (I haven't tried yet)- Let me know if you find it.

As for me, I do agree that a better grounding may be the solution to the heat in my head unit - I'll look for that srew area you mentioned.

I have another problem that you maybe able to help me with:
I'm kinda having a hard time finding the right place to install my amps (two Fosgates - kinda big). They are thick to fit where the factory amp was so trunk seems to be the only place but I don't see much flat surface to drill. Is behind the back seat area my only solution?
Old 07-10-02, 10:05 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Thanks, I'll look into that with the factory amp, you wouldn't happen to know which wire on the factory harness runs that amp, would you? I don't know why I don't just break down and buy a harness. I'd have to special order it and I'm not using the factory amp or speakers, so I only need 4 or 5 wires; I figured I could hard wire it easy enough for those couple wires. Hopefully I get the antenna working, radio would be nice sometimes.

I don't know of a perfect spot to mount the amps, I'm planning on custom work for mine, probably in the spare tire well. You might be able to work something easily on the seatback, if you take out the back seat you can remove the whole plastic panel across the seat back (with the ski hole bag thing on it); you could probably mount a board in it's place that could be carpeted and have the amps mounted to, you could run the wires behind it and hide them; would look nice and well-integrated.

GS, I agree that it could very well sound better to bypass the amp, but the problem would be wiring the 8 factory speakers to the head unit. I'm not sure how they're all set up (I'm not using any of the factory equipment) but it would probably be a problem to get all those wired and the proper impedences for the HU.

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 07-10-02 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-14-02, 11:26 PM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Angry Stupid antenna...

I am having the same stupid problem with my antenna also.. i have not really put a lot of time looking into it, but if you do figure it out PLEASE let us all know. Post a THREAD about it also, i'm sure there are others out there who need the help. I also have not had radio for over a year now, but I do have XM radio.. Let me know what happens.. Thanks

Adam " Lexist "
Old 07-15-02, 08:12 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Hey jewelberry, have you got it all working yet? Would you mind posting a pic of your new headunit installed? I'm thinking about doing the same thing and wanted to see how it looks, thanks.
Old 07-15-02, 09:06 AM
jewelberry
Driver School Candidate

Default Installation incomplete

Sorry guys,

Working 7days/week - installation not complete yet buy will post asap.
Old 07-15-02, 08:57 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Pianoman, don't use the Metra dash kit for the ES, it's textured, doesn't match the smooth climate controls; plus the brackets are extremely flimsy plastic. I couldn't believe what a piece of crap it was.

Do a search in the ES forum, Lexpusher96 had a dash kit made by a shop that looked much nicer and was much sturdier; I believe they made and shipped one for someone else as well, something along those lines. I may explore this option or make my own to replace the Metra, haven't had time lately.

Adam, I'll let you know if I find anything; I want to mess with it again soon, but it's not at the top of the priority list at the moment.
Old 07-16-02, 06:03 AM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Lightbulb Me Too....

Yeah, I also have other things to do right now also.. I am getting a new deck soon, so I will try it when I put that in, and let you know..

Adam " Lexist "