install trust

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-02, 11:05 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default install trust

I'm in the upper Midwest (Minneapolis), and there isn't too wide
of an array of (quality) stereo installers. Should I trust a Best Buy/Circuit City to do a stereo upgrade??? I currently have a 4 with the Nak, and it certainly sounds good, but I am looking at
potentially doing an upgrade, and for some reason, I think that the sound system set-up for my car isn't gonna be as familiar as say, an Accord or Camry. Am I off on this?
Old 07-06-02, 02:55 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never trust Best Buy to install anything on any car (except a Ford or other vehicle that isn't worth a dime). Suckum Silly (Circuit City) has a few decent installers left, but they are hard to come by and mostly stay away from nicer cars. Reason is, they get paid for volume. Nice cars take more time and therefore not worth it.

I would look for a quality Audio shop that has a decent reputation anywhere nearby. Hopefully within 100miles or so... Minneapolis is tough but there are shops if you look.

According to Kicker and a few other manufacturers...
Mach 1 Car Audio & Security
2768 Rice St,St Paul,MN 55113
Phone: (651) 481-7515

That shop is supposed to be decent.

Have you tried them?
Old 07-06-02, 02:57 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Default Re: install trust

Check out soundillusions.net. Plenty of people from Minnesota (including the board Admin) who should be able to direct you to a good shop. They're even having a large meeting in MN sometime soon, check the sticky thread about it...
Old 07-08-02, 05:12 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

thanks for the info. I have heard of Mach1, but haven't been there
before. Might have to make that move.

As far as the sticky thread, I'll have to check it out. I'd love to
go to a meet.
Old 07-09-02, 09:37 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've seen and heard a few cars done by Teckla Car Audio in Burnsville and they do good work, nice people too in my experience. They're off Highway 42 west of Burnsville Center, I think down by a grocery store; I'd check them out and talk about what you're looking to do. I live about an hour from the Cities, they're the only shop I've dealt with up there; and only on small things, but they've been very helpful and I've seen their demo cars at a show and in the store.

I wouldn't trust a Best Buy or Circuit City with my car; I had a hard time letting Audio King in Rochester do my security, but I've known the car audio guy there a while and trust him to take care of me.

BTW, what car do you have and what are you looking to do? If I had more time (I've barely gotten anything done on my own car) I'd offer to help, maybe I can give you some advice or opinions.

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 07-09-02 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-10-02, 03:43 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

98 GS4. I got the Nak, which sounds decent, but I'm trying to add a little knock to the bass. Debating between bass tubes/bazookas
that are self powered, or goin with the traditional set up (amp and maybe some 10's). not somethin that i'm gonna do in the immediate future (gonna get L-tuned and rim it up first), but
definitely come winter, i want to try and upgrade. I'm really just shootin' for good bass, but still i want a clear sound, and will probably want to dynamat (or equivalent). Not tryin to have the annoying trunk rattle.
Old 07-10-02, 09:02 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I'd stay away from the Bazookas, a half-decent traditional setup would be much better.

You have a factory sub in the rear deck, right? You could deaden the deck and put an infinite baffle sub in there, or remove the sub and have a box built that would be sealed off from the rest of the trunk, directing all the bass through that hole into the cabin. I'd try to stick to one of these options, since the Lexus trunks are well-isolated from the cabin, trapping alot of bass. It might be worthwhile to pick up Percy's audio book on the GS, I know it's been very helpful for those who have it. Do a search for the audio primer and you should find the info.

I love those GS's, I'd be driving one if I wasn't young and poor. I don't see too many of them around here, especially hooked up (I did see a GS430 with some ghetto-a$$ Lexani 20's ) Which wheels are you looking at? I'd love to see your car sometime when it's finished, maybe I'll get my stereo install finished before I park my car for the winter.
Old 07-13-02, 10:12 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

I don't know if we're talkin' about the same person, but I live in South Suburbs, and there's a dude with a white GS400 sittin' on Lexani's (I think). 20's for sure. It's also dropped so that there is ZERO room. I watched him go over speed bumps and I was just like "no thanks." I don't think, though I could be wrong, that he would have the same problem if he L-tuned it instead of dropping it. Car looks good in motion (as do most), especially 'cause of the chrome, but I don't care for them too much. Makes me REALLY wanna get my rims, but I've been molded by Manaray's words, so I'd rather wait, sittin on stock, than do it up wrong. I did get a bra for my car though, and got personalized plates. For wheels, I'm lookin' at doin 1 of 3 things:
20" Driv Plague
20" Driv Torq (both at Drivwheels.com)
19" Moda R-6 (tirerack.com) and do the custom chrome thing, a la TXSTYLE

Moda's would be the cheapest (probably 2500 when it's all said and done) and the Driv options would both be about 3200. If you want, check it out and let me know what you think. I'm waitin' on my job to reimburse me for tuition, but with that money I'm gonna do L-tuned.
Old 07-14-02, 02:28 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

The GS I've seen was a silver one in Rochester, like you said it looked good while moving, I was excited to see a done up Lex, but it ruined it when he stopped.

I like TXStyles' car, looks real nice. I prefer those to either of the Drivs, I think I prefer a fairly simple wheel, not too much going on. I'd definitely check with the guys at the wheels forum or do a search before you decide on anything. I like the 5 spoke style myself, I've got Mille Miglia Evo5's 18's on my ES. Mines dropped 1.6" with B&G springs and Tokico struts, it cut down the fender gap without making the car undriveably low (I haven't scraped it yet) or harsh. The L-Tuned setup should be excellent, I would think it'd still retain as much ride quality as possible.

I still went fairly low budget on my wheels, but made sure I found a good value, quality and not knockoff's, thanks to Manaray's wisdom. The man knows his ***** and has good taste, I think the only thing I disagree with him on is chrome. I think chrome is alright in moderation, like spoke wheels (mine are chrome); it's the Lexani, Giovanna, and Niche type wheels that I don't like; the ones with all kinds of crazy cuts and designs.
Old 07-16-02, 04:49 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

Kyle, you get your wheels off TireRack?
Old 07-17-02, 09:32 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by twenty1
Kyle, you get your wheels off TireRack?
Yeah, service was good and everything went smoothly if that's what you were wondering.
Old 07-21-02, 10:58 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

hey man, might be around your neck of the woods on
Friday afternoon.
Old 07-25-02, 05:10 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Where will you be on Friday? I'll be down in Rochester Friday night, PM me if you're gonna be down that direction.
Old 07-28-02, 01:59 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

my bad kyle. things got hectic, and wasn't able to get on to mail you. i ended up goin down there friday. was at the aquarius. saw this dude with a white gs. it said 400 on the back, but numbers
didn't look like they were on right. looked like it was sittin on chrome 18"s. horrendous fog lights under the fog lights that come standard on the car, and it had LEXUS in cheesy letters on the side. to each his own, i guess.

let's still try and do this up here in August (see string about possible MN meet)
Old 07-29-02, 10:51 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by twenty1
my bad kyle. things got hectic, and wasn't able to get on to mail you. i ended up goin down there friday. was at the aquarius. saw this dude with a white gs. it said 400 on the back, but numbers
didn't look like they were on right. looked like it was sittin on chrome 18"s. horrendous fog lights under the fog lights that come standard on the car, and it had LEXUS in cheesy letters on the side. to each his own, i guess.

let's still try and do this up here in August (see string about possible MN meet)
That's alright, never been to Aquarius, but know where it is and people who hang out there. I don't even know if I could get in there all nights, I'm only 20.

That's just sad about the GS, I've said it before, but I guess money doesn't buy taste. I haven't seen that one around; don't know why anyone would do that to their car, much less a Lexus. There's a Bimmer down there too, 5-something but it's stock except that ugly chrome stripping along the doors and a bumper sticker on the trunk lid for a radio station; he would've been much better off leaving it stock, and you don't put bumper stickers on nice cars. (OK, done ranting but there's so much horrible stuff out there).

I'm going to bed now, but I'll check out that group meet thread soon.

Quick Reply: install trust