Sponsored by:

Head unit integration

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-02, 09:43 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head unit integration

I have a '00 gs 400. In process of removing stock system, replacing with pioneer p9 headunit and zapco remote monitoring system for Zapco 9.0 amplifier. Each piece in dash is single din Problem - due to funky shape of head and proprietary color and finish to area immediately surrounding head, I am concerned about the aesthetics. Has anyone done it, got pics? any suggestions?

BTW - System is Pioneer P9 deck, digital changer and processor; 2 Zapco 4.0's, 1 9.0; Focal Utopia 3 way & 2 12" ID MAX subs. Full active setup.

Thanks for the advice
Old 07-11-02, 04:34 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ira could you clarify? It sounds like you're asking for pictures of a car with 2 single din units installed? Any pics or description of the Zapco system, im not familiar with it.

Also, what kind of enclosure are those MAXs going in? I have a pair sitting in the garage, I cant decide what amp to use:eek:

Last edited by sirsomo; 07-11-02 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-12-02, 05:11 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

If someone had pics of what they did just to make an aftermarket headunit integrate in the GS would be terrific. I am most concerned with making the new headunit surround appear as if it came from the factory - matching texture and color of materials to surrounding ashtray and HVAC areas. Otherwise, I may just have a custom wood kit made to encompass the HVAC, AShtray and Headunit - all from birds eye maple

Zapco piece is almost DIN sized - it is a remote status display that permits monitoring of the Class D amp (9.0) and dashboard control of rail voltage and gain - kind of a remote amplifier control system.

Due to the backlog at ID - if my IDMAX don't show up, I am using DLS. Nonetheless, subs will fire through rear deck - sealed enclosure, re-built (ok custom built) rear deck, subs sealed in trunk but fire directly into passenger compartment through rear deck, flush mounted with it.

Going into the IASCA street class 601 +

As for your amp to the ID MAXs - here are my choices for musical playback, in no particular order. Zapco 9.0, Zapco 6.0 (I am corporate counsel to Sounds Impossible, my installers, would give you a good deal), DLS Class D - if you want this amp, local rep is my client (I am corporate counsel), call me 732 266 1169, Memphis Class D, & Big JL amp all should have more than enough power to move those woofers.
Old 07-12-02, 08:28 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Percy's book...

There's a writeup in Percy's GS Audio Primer about it....
Old 07-12-02, 10:56 AM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Ira, no wonder I couldn't understand your first post, you're an attorney! JK I dont have time to look for pics right now, but if you do a search in the GS photo gallery you will see what some others have done. What makes it even harder is that the AC and HU are different material/shade then the rest of the car. If you have the resources to fabricate a new face for that whole section that would definately be best, but you already know that. Also, what if you had a cover done that just covered it up like some car manufacturers do with their navigation?

Thanks for the sub/amp info. I'd love one of those Zapcos, but they would blow my budget. I dont plan to compete or show that often, so they'd also be overkill. Im not familiar with DLS, do they have a website?
Old 07-13-02, 09:38 AM
LexPro
Pole Position

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pa...us%20GS-Series

Ira, Check this out.
Old 07-13-02, 10:44 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ira Senoff
[B]If someone had pics of what they did just to make an aftermarket headunit integrate in the GS would be terrific. I am most concerned with making the new headunit surround appear as if it came from the factory - matching texture and color of materials to surrounding ashtray and HVAC areas. Otherwise, I may just have a custom wood kit made to encompass the HVAC, AShtray and Headunit - all from birds eye maple

***How good are you at working with veneer? Also, Birds Eye comes at a premium, especially the veneer flitches "peppered" with birds eyes.***

Percy
Old 07-13-02, 11:00 AM
amlin423
Pole Position

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_p...xus%20GS-Series
That's as perfect as it could get. I saw it long ago..left a message on the guestbook but never got a reply...I'm wondering if the owner is a member on CL..
Old 07-15-02, 04:14 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Guys, thanks for the link. That is exactly what I was looking for. I hope that the paint and texture can be done as a perfect match, otherwise it is veneer time.

Percy - friend of mine (Phil) found a veneer guy. Not cheap but his work is perfect. For instance - if you have ever seen a Blue MB 560 SEC in the mags owned by Phil Petracca, he re-did all the wood in the car, also custom faceplate, trim rings etc. Bill came to almost a grand but it was flawless. I would pay for flawless work.....
Old 07-15-02, 06:07 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Ira Senoff
Guys, thanks for the link. That is exactly what I was looking for. I hope that the paint and texture can be done as a perfect match, otherwise it is veneer time.

Percy - friend of mine (Phil) found a veneer guy. Not cheap but his work is perfect. For instance - if you have ever seen a Blue MB 560 SEC in the mags owned by Phil Petracca, he re-did all the wood in the car, also custom faceplate, trim rings etc. Bill came to almost a grand but it was flawless. I would pay for flawless work.....
A grand for all that work would be considered a BARGAIN! There's alot of prep work to the veneer and it can either be enjoyable (rarely) or a complete nightmare (mostly). The stuff is kinda of a pain to work with....

Percy