Sponsored by:

LS400 changer mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-02, 11:52 AM
PeteF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 changer mount

I have a 92 ls400 and just swapped to the cd butten radio with stock changer. (Made my own cable and the darn thing works!) Here is the question: Does anybody have the stock trunk panel that accomodates the changer? Or, has anybody gone to an after market dash mount and willing to swap trunk panels in order to get the clean, no cd player, look in the trunk? My panel is in excellent condition and I would be willing to swap with someone in order to avoid cutting it up in order to mount the player in the trunk.
Old 07-15-02, 08:25 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You made your own cable? Impressive.

If I do this, how much should I expect to pay for an old headunit and changer? I suppose I'll be making my own cable as well, right?
Old 07-19-02, 07:10 AM
PeteF
Driver School Candidate

There's an incredible range in prices for the head unit and changer. You can get an idea by looking at past auctions on ebay. For the early LS400 the CD changers can go anywhere from $75 to $250 and the head unit $100 to $200. Parts recyclers usually want more. I went with the non-nak cd head unit in order to avoid having to get the separate amp and figuring that out. (If you can get the nak system with all the cables, then by all means it's the better system). Stock system I have sounds and works like a charm. It's amazing what a difference the cd changer makes. One caution is to make sure you match head unit and changer. If you check the previous posts you'll find that you have to use the changer that is specified for the head unit. (Connectors fit and power is provided to changer, but signaling scheme must be different). Making the cable is no big deal providing you follow Lexus wiring diagram and remember to use shielded cable for some of the wires.
Old 07-22-02, 07:46 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know. Yeah, i think I have the Nak headunit. I'll probably try to buy a CD radio off of a nice CL member before I do Ebay. I've had bad luck with electronics on Ebay, 0 for 2 having things work.

I'm surprised no one has a changer mount for you. Have you tried any local junkyards? Those mounts can't be in high demand, I would think.
Old 07-26-02, 03:21 PM
PeteF
Driver School Candidate

Found the mount after all and life is good. You'll likely find what you need from CL members, however it may take a while.