1st Phase of Audio Build; sub boxes--with pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 10:10 AM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st Phase of Audio Build; sub boxes--with pics

Updated box pics!!

I'm gearing up to do a complete audio build in my GS400. I've never done a full build before so I'm more looking forward to the learning experience than I am to the finished product, however, I'm pretty excited about that too!

My first step was to build two boxes for my 10" JL Audio W6s. Originally I was going to build one box for both of them but then thought it might be better to keep them separate in the event that 2 subs is too much bass...if there is such a thing, right

I'm putting a JL 500/1 on each sub so by keeping them separate, I could sell a whole sub/box/amp combo down the road if I needed to.

I built these boxes according the the JL specs. They are sealed, 3/4 MDF, 100% glued and nailed all the way around. The carpet arrives next week. Anything else I should do to make them better?

Thanks for your help!

Ran some 8 gauge wire from the terminal cup to the sub inside the box. These are the ring terminals on the ends of the wire.

Connected to the terminal cup

Boxes are finished and awaiting install in the car

Last edited by fenderzig; 09-19-10 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-03-10, 10:48 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

For your first time out of the gate, the construction looks pretty solid.The only thing I would caution on is using screws instead of nails in the construction. Use a pilot hole and countersink them so they are flush, but I would definitely shoot some coarse screws into them. Won't hurt to sand them and prep them for carpet, since it will show any waves/imperfections. If the carpet is going to take some time to arrive, I would also go a step further and hit them with a coat of fiberglass resin inside. This will bond to the MDF and ensure an airtight seal.

One last thing - where are the terminal cups? You don't want to just slide a piece of wire in a hole. Buy a couple of them with recessed binding posts so you can detach them, if necessary, with no tools once they are detached from their mounts in the car. That's the next question - how are you mounting them in the car? You don't want them flailing around in the trunk in the event of an accident.

Big Mack
Old 09-03-10, 01:36 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Good thoughts, Mack...

The screws are a good idea. I've been a little hesitant mainly because I don't want to split the MDF but I think I agree. I'll add some screws and just be careful about doing it.

They are actually sanded already. I used a belt sander on them and then followed that up with a palm sander with 120 grit paper. They are pretty smooth. I was thinking the same think about the carpet showing imperfections.

As far as the terminal cups are concerned...if my boxes are sealed is it possible that the terminal cups would be a possible weak spot for that seal to be compromised? Again, I can easily be swayed because I recognize the convenience of the terminal cup detachment.

I don't know how I'm mounting them yet. I do plan on mounting them but right now my trunk is all apart because I'm hoping to run power wire soon and finish sound deadening. I figured that would be something I did when the trunk design was finished.
Old 09-03-10, 03:15 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by fenderzig
Good thoughts, Mack...
Thanks, mang.

The screws are a good idea. I've been a little hesitant mainly because I don't want to split the MDF but I think I agree. I'll add some screws and just be careful about doing it.
S'why I said use a pilot and countersink. Lessens the chance of splitting it dramatically.

They are actually sanded already. I used a belt sander on them and then followed that up with a palm sander with 120 grit paper. They are pretty smooth. I was thinking the same think about the carpet showing imperfections.
The fronts look sanded, but it must be the sealant on the side making it look like it was a bit wavy. No worries.

As far as the terminal cups are concerned...if my boxes are sealed is it possible that the terminal cups would be a possible weak spot for that seal to be compromised? Again, I can easily be swayed because I recognize the convenience of the terminal cup detachment.
You screw them in, then run a bead of silicone around the edge from the inside. Keeps them from leaking, keeps them in place, and you get the benefits.

I don't know how I'm mounting them yet. I do plan on mounting them but right now my trunk is all apart because I'm hoping to run power wire soon and finish sound deadening. I figured that would be something I did when the trunk design was finished.
Cool. Just something to think about as you're doing the design. L brackets work great for this task - but be VERY careful shooting screws into the trunk floor. Gas tank, exhaust, etc., are all under there.

Big Mack
Old 09-03-10, 06:46 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Boxes are now screwed, nailed, and glued
Old 09-05-10, 03:55 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How does a guy remove the box so conveniently with the terminal cups but it's still screwed down with L-brackets? (I'm pondering how to secure my box down, too...)
Old 09-05-10, 07:56 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
How does a guy remove the box so conveniently with the terminal cups but it's still screwed down with L-brackets? (I'm pondering how to secure my box down, too...)
I didn't say it was totally convenient, just more convenient than having to get access to the amp and unscrew the terminals to release the wires since unplugging them from the sub is pointless if they're siliconed in.

Originally Posted by Big Mack
with recessed binding posts so you can detach them, if necessary, with no tools once they are detached from their mounts in the car.
Since it's not really designed to prevent theft, you could get carriage bolts, slide them through, silicone them in place, and secure with a wing nut to an L bracket. Depending on how you have your box, a small piece of wood that it sits on could house the L bracket (just be sure to carpet it). Without knowing the placement of your box(es), it's tough to call, but I do recommend it. I have built boxes that were so tight to the trim pieces that were fabbed up you had to yank on them to get them to move, and since the GS's seats don't fold, this might be an option for you, Frank.

Big Mack
Old 09-06-10, 05:41 AM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Hey guys,

Picked up the rest of my components this weekend...

* For the doors I'm going with Hertz HSK 165s in all four doors
* I really wanted a "do-it-all" HU (BT, Navi, DVD, 7 inch screen) and I just couldn't bring myself to drop the coin on a new one so I bought a used one from a guy on another forum. It is the JVC KW-NX7000. He used it for only 10 months in a show car and I was pretty clear about how good I wanted the condition to be. He says it is a 9.8-9.9 out of 10.
* I already have my amps, subs, and the sound deadening is done. I just need to get all my wire, fuses, holders, distribution block, trunk design template and I'm good to go!

Anybody else working on a 2gs trunk design?? Care to share..
Old 09-06-10, 04:20 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i got this for ya, but it may be a little on the extreme side..

Old 09-07-10, 07:21 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

^^^WOW! That is nice Thanks for the motivation!
Old 09-07-10, 07:26 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if my trunk can provide motivation, then it's doing it's job, just show me the final product!
Old 09-14-10, 01:16 PM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by excluesive
i got this for ya, but it may be a little on the extreme side..

Tough setup!
Old 09-19-10, 07:33 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Bump for new pics in first post
Old 09-22-10, 12:53 PM
egggy
Driver School Candidate

damn, dude

should've went ported.
Old 09-23-10, 07:22 AM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Originally Posted by egggy
damn, dude

should've went ported.
I didn't want to go ported...I like the punch of a sealed box better than a ported one. That's just my preference

Quick Reply: 1st Phase of Audio Build; sub boxes--with pics