Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

PERCY or anyone in the know??? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-02, 02:12 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PERCY or anyone in the know??? (long)

Ive heard a fellow members(TXStyle) GS400 stereo with the stock(premium, not Nak) head unit, aftermarket MB Quart seperates in the front doors, and MB co-ax in the rear doors. He did this speaker swap with NO additional power, just swapped the speakers. He did replace the Pioneer sub with a JL 10" IB4 and a new amp to power it....
This is what I would like to do as well, because Ive heard sooooo many good results from this.
In my past experience with aftermarket seperates, it was ALWAYS suggested that a new amp be used for the highs and mids. I have never heard such good sound from JUST a speaker swap as I did from TXStyles car......Why is this the case with the GS??? Is there even an amp with the premium stereo, or is the power from the head unit pushing the highs/mids??
On the OLD CL EZ board there was a write up (I think MKilty did it) outlining this in detail, do you remember it?
Anyway, I want to confirm that the seperates are an easy install if done myself...
-Can you please suggest good quality seperates for the front and coax for the rear that will be a direct swap?(if possible)
-Are the new x/overs easy to install?
-How crucial is new speaker wire?
I am planning to let a shop do the 10" IB4 and the amp install, but I would like to do the high/mids myself if possible.....
TIA, Tiny
Old 07-16-02, 07:25 AM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Thats a lot of questions Tiny, I'll see if I can help. You can get good results by just upgrading the speakers. The reason aftermarket amps are recommended is because they make the speakers sound even better. Same thing for wiring, you can keep it factory, but will sound better with aftermarket wire. If you want to spend the money on the new amp and wiring it is definately beneficial, but not vital.

The premium system has an amp, but I forget the specs off the top of my head.

The install should not be that hard, but if you are doing it on your own, Percy's book might be a big help. Most component sets use a driver, a tweeter and a X-over. They are not hard to install, the hardest part will probably getting them to fit. Before you buy make sure they will fit in the shallow door. X overs are a breeze, you can just hook them up and hide them in the door somewhere.

Some good brands in your price range are Focal's lower end, Boston Acoustics, Crystal maybe even JLs. There are better brands, but it would be a waste imo to use them with the factory amp/wiring. Maybe you should post your budget?

It sounds like you liked TXs system with only a speaker upgrade. If that is the system you want, then do something that closely resembles his.
Old 07-16-02, 08:13 AM
BabaBooey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're just going to replace the stock speakers without adding a new amp to power them, there's no use in getting new wire. I would also consider coax's in the front, they're generally more efficient than components (which is what you need if you're not getting another amp). I would recommend CDT Braxials up front, and if you insist on spending money on aftermarket speakers for the back, uh, just throw another pair back their.
Old 07-16-02, 10:16 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: PERCY or anyone in the know??? (long)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tinygs
[B]Ive heard a fellow members(TXStyle) GS400 stereo with the stock(premium, not Nak) head unit, aftermarket MB Quart seperates in the front doors, and MB co-ax in the rear doors. He did this speaker swap with NO additional power, just swapped the speakers. He did replace the Pioneer sub with a JL 10" IB4 and a new amp to power it....
This is what I would like to do as well, because Ive heard sooooo many good results from this.
In my past experience with aftermarket seperates, it was ALWAYS suggested that a new amp be used for the highs and mids. I have never heard such good sound from JUST a speaker swap as I did from TXStyles car......Why is this the case with the GS???

**It's because the stock speakers are THAT bad. Aftermarket speakers will do a better job all around.***

Is there even an amp with the premium stereo, or is the power from the head unit pushing the highs/mids??

***There's a seperate amp, but you're still much better off with an aftermarket amp. More power, less distortion.***

On the OLD CL EZ board there was a write up (I think MKilty did it) outlining this in detail, do you remember it?

**Nope...can't remember this one!***

Anyway, I want to confirm that the seperates are an easy install if done myself...

***You'll have to make a baffle or a seperate mounting board. The stock speakers are 4 inch rounds and aftermarket 4 inch rounds are usually not too good. MB Quart makes 4 inch rounds and that's for "drop in" installations, but for better sound, go with 6.5 inch seperates. Be sure to check the mounting depth first as some speakes won't work out.***

-Can you please suggest good quality seperates for the front and coax for the rear that will be a direct swap?(if possible)

***Go with seperates. IME, if you're after sound QUALITY (and I mean really good quality) then go with Dynaudio. Diamond Hex and Focal are also good choices, but not nearly as good (ime) as Dynaudio.***

-Are the new x/overs easy to install?
***Find a place to mount them. Shouldn't be too hard.***

-How crucial is new speaker wire?
***If you're planning on running 50 watts or more (rms) then definitely change out the speaker wire. The stock wire is QUITE small and can't handle the extra power that an aftermarket amp provides.***

I am planning to let a shop do the 10" IB4 and the amp install, but I would like to do the high/mids myself if possible.....
***It's possible. Just use a bit of common sense and patience.***

Percy
Old 07-16-02, 12:09 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default tinygs

you have not seen my website, have you?
there are some picture on my installation, removing the door,speakers install...
check it out
Old 07-31-02, 03:36 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Tiny....do it all yourself.

It isn't that tough.

Shooot, come down to houston and camp out at my place. I'm just getting started on the same setup.

I cut up the rear enclosures and doing sound-proofing next weekend.

Let me know how you are coming along...picked out speakers?

Late.