Sponsored by:

TV's getting played out???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-02, 11:16 AM
SilverLS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TV's getting played out???

Yea so here in New York i seen everycar with tv set up. I seen the civics,integras,maximas,benz,trucks,station wagons??? and the usually vans even seen a subaru with a multimedia set up.

Before i thought it was cool to get tvs in your ride...now i see them borning and if you have em ur tryin to be a fake baller which is the case here in New York everyone is a fake baller.

Just wondering how u guys feel about em?

I guess it like a trend and after a while it gets played out....so u guys think its a good idea to get a muiltimedia set up in the LS4??or just take the money and get an imported kit or something...might even have enough to get a full air suspension...
Old 07-21-02, 08:59 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think theres anything "fake baller" about having a tv/dvd setup in a lexus. If your only getting it to impress others, I'd say buy a bodykit or something, because your right, anyone with any car can have one.(tv system) However, if you are buying it for the entertainment value, there is NO substute. I have had screens in my last 2 cars, with a kvt-911 currently on its way (come on UPS!!) and I can't live without it now. Especially with all the new kenwood comes with, you get TV tuner, dvd, cd, all in one! You can only guess how handy having all the news channels at your fingertips is when you are stuck in traffic for no apparent reason!
Old 07-22-02, 03:04 AM
blitz
Pole Position

ummmm...
Old 07-22-02, 10:42 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default Re: TV's getting played out???

Originally posted by SilverLS400
Yea so here in New York i seen everycar with tv set up. I seen the civics,integras,maximas,benz,trucks,station wagons??? and the usually vans even seen a subaru with a multimedia set up.

Before i thought it was cool to get tvs in your ride...now i see them borning and if you have em ur tryin to be a fake baller which is the case here in New York everyone is a fake baller.

Just wondering how u guys feel about em?

I guess it like a trend and after a while it gets played out....so u guys think its a good idea to get a muiltimedia set up in the LS4??or just take the money and get an imported kit or something...might even have enough to get a full air suspension...
I don't agree with you having tv's mean you are a "Fake Baller". What is a real baller then?? Honestly, I don't see alot of people with tv's in the nyc area. I have the alpine fliptop in the front and adding 2 tv's in the headrest "completes" the multimedia setup.
Old 07-22-02, 12:40 PM
importtoys
Pole Position

This is EMERALD My computer is down so Im posting on a diff one.

Well ive had tvs in cars for almost 7 years i think...back when a 4 inch screen was 400 bucks!

But back to your question: If yoo are worried about sumthin being 'played out' then you are part of the trend problem.

If its sumthing that YOO Like then go for it...If you're worried about being part of the latest trends just send me your money and I'll tell yoo what yoo should and shouldnt like.

Seriously....Dont fall into that way of thinking...do what makes yoo feel happy and what yoo think looks good.

~Em

Last edited by importtoys; 07-22-02 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-22-02, 02:16 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can't (or shouldn't) watch TV when you're driving. If you have kids (or adult passengers you feel compelled to entertain by showing them video), then maybe I can see the value of placing a screen or two in the passenger area.

And I don't know about Arizona, but when you're stuck in traffic here in LA, you got several radio stations here with traffic reports every 5 or 6 minutes.

HOWEVER, this will all be a moot point in a couple of years since most high-end cars now have integrated video screens nice and high on the dash for navigation, vehicle information displays, etc. Those screens and components will only get cheaper in the future, so with the possible exception of Yugos, they'll be everywhere.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 07-22-02 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-22-02, 02:26 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Everytime I make the three hour drive to Austin with the kids in the back, I listen to the silence brought about by the "played out" monitors in the headrests.

It doesn't suck.

Todd

BTW...three Best ICE awards don't hurt either!
Old 07-22-02, 07:28 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
You can't (or shouldn't) watch TV when you're driving. If you have kids (or adult passengers you feel compelled to entertain by showing them video), then maybe I can see the value of placing a screen or two in the passenger area.

And I don't know about Arizona, but when you're stuck in traffic here in LA, you got several radio stations here with traffic reports every 5 or 6 minutes.

HOWEVER, this will all be a moot point in a couple of years since most high-end cars now have integrated video screens nice and high on the dash for navigation, vehicle information displays, etc. Those screens and components will only get cheaper in the future, so with the possible exception of Yugos, they'll be everywhere.
Oh, don't worry its illegal here too

..but so is tint less than 20%...and taking mountain roads and night over posted limits....and making a quick 40-80 punch on the freeway when a bmw pulls up trying to play....eh screw it..I guess I like to walk that line
Old 07-23-02, 10:32 AM
CoreY2K1
Driver

all i know is, my 30 minute each-way commute is alot smoother when i've got 'The Royal Tenenbaums' playing on my alpine...
Old 07-23-02, 07:26 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

i've been into tv's for years now. each year i sell my old stuff and get the new items. yes, its gotten so much cheaper, but then again, i can get a 5.6 monitor for only 80 bucks and the quality of the picture is just OK. With these prices, it's no wonder that everyone has one at least in their car. I've gotten so use to it that whenever i see a SUV in so. cali, i say "haha, what, no tv?"

so if you like the multimedia stuff, then just get it. either way, there's someone who will get it too, it just matters on what you like.
Old 07-23-02, 10:20 PM
LexFather

Well in Atlanta, they are in everything from the appropriate LEXI/Benz/SUV thing to Corollas, Sebring convertibles, Kias (with playstation) and 1980 Caprices... and so many are stolen it is no joke. It was awesome when it was in cool cars, no they are in cars they do not belong in IMO.
Old 07-23-02, 10:24 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Yep, have to agree with everyone here. There's nothing like having the luxury of TV's in your car. Plus, it acually serves a purpose...not like a bodykit. Just remember that there will always be a trend. Example: Every freakin Escalade I see out here in Cali has 22" wheels on them. That's life...If your worried about falling into that trend, ask yourself this question, "How do I design a audio/video system different from the rest". Once you figure out that question, you won't worry about other people's system's and being a "fake baller". Start your own trend!
Old 07-23-02, 11:36 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

LXOGOOD,

Well said.

If the Screens are usable and serve a true purpose, then they will not be trendy. Buying a 4x4 and putting 22" rims with street tires on it makes the original off-road/trail purpose obsolete. That is a trend. Mounting up a DVD and LCD screen + Navigation or rear view...serve a cool purpose.

MW
Old 07-24-02, 06:56 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

A little off-topic but those Escalades with the 22s are one of my pet peeves. I will NOT drive near one...all these guys go out and buy the big wheels 22s, 23s and now 24s and don't upgrade their brakes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure what is happening next...

T
Old 07-24-02, 09:46 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

that's true about the escalades in cali. whenever i see one that is bone stock, we think "ew, they need 22's"

rico, i thought i was the only one that noticed that. i never drive next to suv's with dubz

Quick Reply: TV's getting played out???