Sponsored by:

New Dynaudio Model System 240GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-02, 07:54 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Dynaudio Model System 240GT

I saw this Dynaudio model number which I was not familiar with. Anyway, I inquired about it and this was the response:

"...the System 240GT is a brand new model that was actually designed
specifically for imports like yours. The difference is that the GT component
set comes with a standard sized 6.5" midrange, as opposed to a 7" which is
oversized. As for sound, the GT is a totally redesigned component system, so
it's supposed to be a good deal better. ..."

Looks like this would be an easier fit. Comments from our experts please....
Old 07-24-02, 08:32 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Digging through the specs right now via their pdf file...will let you know later as for the pros/cons.

Who sent you the email? I know the guys at Dyn since they're about 20 minutes away from me...

Percy
Old 07-24-02, 10:09 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

whitels,

Here's the lowdown. The 240GT IS NOT a "brand new" model as they've been saying. It's been in Japan for quite a few years and has appeared in their competitions fairly often. But then, pretty much everyone in Japan runs near state of the art systems - no SPL like over here. Dynaudio and Mc are considered the norm.

PROS of the GT system.

Smaller basket - closer to the 6.5 inch mentioned.

Thinner mounting depth - nearly 1/4 of an inch thinner. You WILL still need a spacer ring, but you might be able to do without it. It's very close.

CONS of the GT system.

Basket design. According to the spec sheet, the basket is only 1.5 mm thick. The one that I use, the MW160, is 5mm thick. Here's the problem. As you're tightening down the screws (there's only 4 locations on the GT - 6 on the MW160 non GT version) the basket will more than likely flex or distort in some way. If the basket distorts, the cone, coil and magnet assembly are not "true" in line anymore, thus the coil may hit the magnet assembly during some excursions. The NON GT version is much stronger and you can completely tighten down the bolts without fear of any flexure of the basket.

History...Alpine once used the Dynaudio speaker in their lineup some years ago with a basket design similar to that of the "GT" designation. There were so many returns that it wasn't even funny. Coils went out of alignment, flexure points on the cone due to the overtightening of screws, etc. That's when Dyn came up with the non GT version, the one with 6 bolt locations and a thicker frame.

The suspensions are different, but the coils are identical. Also, the only other thing different is the basket design itself. Frequency responses are almost identical. I'd go for the non GT version as the Q factor has a lower number, that is, less "overhang" in the notes and transients.

Percy
Old 07-24-02, 03:56 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Percy. My info did not come from Dyn. It came from a vendor here in L.A.

So I gather, the vote is still with the 7". Thanks again.