Sponsored by:

Electronic devices and window tint

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 02:05 PM
AutoTint
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic devices and window tint

When choosing window tint, check to see if it is "signal-enabling." I never knew that some tint blocked signals from keyless entry and satellite radio. Lesson learned!
Old 12-14-10, 09:25 PM
sitinon20s
Driver School Candidate

cheap tint does that
Old 12-14-10, 10:01 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by sitinon20s
cheap tint does that
See, it is comments like this that lead to ignorance continuing. Metalized tint affects many signals, and while there are many grades of tint, even expensive metalized films will affect them. Some can be optimized through different processes in the layering, but to say that "cheap tint does that" is not at all accurate.

I'll share this with you to prove the point - a few years ago Mercedes new models came out with a metalized film impregnated between two layers of glass to aid in heat dissipation/resistance. It was very effective at it limiting the heat penetrating the cabin with only one issue - it kept the keyless entry signal from hitting the receiver in the car. They changed positions a couple of times, ending up with it at the base of the windshield, and still needed to cut a small square into the panels before impregnating the glass because it kept the signal out.

Now, think that film is cheap? Try purchasing a genuine Mercedes windshield and you'll quickly find out that it is not at all an inexpensive proposition.

Big Mack
Old 12-17-10, 11:41 AM
sitinon20s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Big Mack
See, it is comments like this that lead to ignorance continuing. Metalized tint affects many signals, and while there are many grades of tint, even expensive metalized films will affect them. Some can be optimized through different processes in the layering, but to say that "cheap tint does that" is not at all accurate.

I'll share this with you to prove the point - a few years ago Mercedes new models came out with a metalized film impregnated between two layers of glass to aid in heat dissipation/resistance. It was very effective at it limiting the heat penetrating the cabin with only one issue - it kept the keyless entry signal from hitting the receiver in the car. They changed positions a couple of times, ending up with it at the base of the windshield, and still needed to cut a small square into the panels before impregnating the glass because it kept the signal out.

Now, think that film is cheap? Try purchasing a genuine Mercedes windshield and you'll quickly find out that it is not at all an inexpensive proposition.

Big Mack
wrong!
NO i repeat NO Mercedes uses film.
The glass you reffer to is actually a dyed glass you can think of it as a R or U value to keep heat and cold out. Lexus did the same thing with the SUV except with a slight Bronze/Gold hue on the rear windows back.
BTW i recently replaced the windsheild on my s550 this past summer wasnt very expensive ;]
but i will say this if its not a good film like sunguard or something its crap and will affect signal's. so again CHEAP TINT DOES THAT
Attached Thumbnails Electronic devices and window tint-img00181.jpg  
Old 12-17-10, 10:09 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

wrong!
NO i repeat NO Mercedes uses film.
The glass you reffer to is actually a dyed glass you can think of it as a R or U value to keep heat and cold out. Lexus did the same thing with the SUV except with a slight Bronze/Gold hue on the rear windows back.
Incorrect. They did use a laminated and dyed glass when developing the heat resistant glass, and it is the one I referred to. I know this because I know the company who supplies Daimler with it. They are contracted to provide both windshields and all other glass for every Mercedes.

And yes, they absolutely do use laminated (aka film) glass in their windows and rear windshields. This is a slight tint, and customers can order the privacy glass if they choose (or dealership can make it their standard order). It is not the same as regular window tint, but it is a film, not just a dye. I do see your point in that it is not an external film, however.

BTW i recently replaced the windsheild on my s550 this past summer wasnt very expensive ;]
Yes, when insurance replaces it, it's not expensive at all. Time to upgrade to a Lexus, don't you think? (just kidding, mang...I dig that ride)

but i will say this if its not a good film like sunguard or something its crap and will affect signal's. so again CHEAP TINT DOES THAT
Your blanket statement is still incorrect. All metalized films affect signal, like it or not. Some simply do it less than others. I agree with you that cheaper tints with less engineering will affect it more, but the best still screw with signal. I have used Sunguard for years, and have had to do small cuts to have radio/remote reception improved. Any installer will also tell you that if you install a remote start antenna, you must put it so the receiver tip is below tint for best reception.

Big Mack
Old 12-20-10, 10:12 AM
sitinon20s
Driver School Candidate

agreed.
and i have a 2001 gs300 also =] lol