Sponsored by:

Amp Kit Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 09:41 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amp Kit Advice

Short version: For the people with H.A.D.D.
If you buy cheaper amp kits make sure the thread count is high. The better brands such as stinger have high thread counts. Other brands such as Lanzar have low thread count. So a 2 gauge Stinger kit is better than a 0 gauge Lanzar kit. You get what you pay for!

Long version: For the interested
So everyone can agree that the bigger the power cable the better.... Yes and No. I first bought 2 Stinger 2 Gauge amp kits for $100 each from best buy, then wanting to be proactive found 2 Vibe Lanzar 0 gauge amp kits for $70 at a discount shop. Wanting to install this in my 99 ES300. So thinking that Im a genius I decided to buy the bigger power wire for cheaper.
Come install day, I take a good look at the wire in both kits... yes the 0 ga is thicker, HOWEVER the rubber casing is MUCH thicker and the actual cable or thread count is smaller (slightly) than the stinger kit. So now im like WTF!! screw the discount brand im running the stinger 2 gauge with the higher thread count. Best buy has a 30 day return policy for money back, however discount shop has a 14 day return for store credit or exchange only! No money back. Not a big deal Im sure Ill find a air conditioner, crappy laptop, bb gun or crossbow to buy...
Moral of the story you get what you pay for! In this case the 2 gauge stinger kit was better than the 0 gauge Lanzar kit. Also make sure of the return policy of the place you purchase so your not stuck with product or credit you don't want or need.
Old 11-21-10, 09:47 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Default Pic of amp kit. You DONT WANT!

This is the kits you dont want!
Attached Thumbnails Amp Kit Advice-001.jpg   Amp Kit Advice-004.jpg   Amp Kit Advice-005.jpg   Amp Kit Advice-003.jpg   Amp Kit Advice-002.jpg  

Old 11-21-10, 08:03 PM
krazyl3gz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right. You get what you pay for. I picked up a kicker amp kit when I installed my stuff and it works great. Pretty flexile for being 0 gauge too.
Old 11-23-10, 06:13 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheaper brands market their product as "0 Gauge", which is not the same thing as "0 awg".

Look for "awg" (American Wire Gauge) as your determining factor. Companies using simply "gauge" don't necessarily follow gauge standards.
Old 11-23-10, 07:32 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Cheaper brands market their product as "0 Gauge", which is not the same thing as "0 awg".

Look for "awg" (American Wire Gauge) as your determining factor. Companies using simply "gauge" don't necessarily follow gauge standards.
Great point! I wasn't aware of that difference. I guess thats kinda like max or peak power and rms rating.
Old 11-23-10, 07:58 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Also be wary of any kit that doesn't expressly say what kind of wire is included. Kits with OFC (Oxygen Free Copper), will follow the appropriate scales for carrying current - IE: 8 awg can carry up to ~70A safely under carpet. If the kit has CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum), it will not carry the same amount of current as similarly sized OFC wire. Doesn't mean it is bad, but be sure to know the difference when evaluating the size of the wiring in contrast to what your needs are.

And I agree with Korsu - cheap kits are usually poorly made copies of quality kits, and their connections end up corroding extremely quickly due to the poor quality of any plating that has been done.

I have found that many times you can buy a quality kit for not much more than the "bargain" kits, and most shops are willing to haggle a bit if you're honest with them about comparing to online pricing. Some companies work online exclusively as well, like KnuKonceptz. I have found their products (save for the CCA wiring) to be of good quality for the money.

If you do decide to go the ebay route, I strongly suggest engaging the seller for more information if it is not expressly stated in the ad what kind of wire it is. If they will not tell you, DO NOT BUY FROM THAT SELLER.

Big Mack
Old 11-23-10, 11:35 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Def some smart folks here! This is all great info I wish I would have talked to yall before I made my boo boo.
Old 12-09-10, 07:25 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

This is some very good advice!

Where can you find a good 0 gauge amp kit? I've never seen anything below 4 gauge around here.
Old 12-09-10, 07:10 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Kira X
This is some very good advice!

Where can you find a good 0 gauge amp kit? I've never seen anything below 4 gauge around here.
Right hyah!!!

And yes, it is OFC.

Big Mack