Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Music to show off my new dyns =)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-02, 06:47 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Music to show off my new dyns =)

alright. my system is almost complete but i do have my dyns in right now and it sounds awesome! thanks again percy. once its done ill post pics and thank percy more =)

so........i want a cd..a compilation of songs from every catagory (r&b, rap, etc etc etc), that will stun, amaze, and be breathetaking to the people in my car to listen to...and i would like to use this cd to compare my system with others as a comparison..so we need all the highs, the lows, everything..the sounds that are hard to reproduce "nicely".

so if you could tell me of songs, or if their is a cd like this already created, id appreciate it..

i already played celine dions 'its all comming back to me now' and one word..incredible!

thanks,
allen
Old 08-01-02, 07:16 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sarah Evens: I Could Not Ask for More
Tupac: How Do You Want It
Dire Straits: Money for Nothing

I don't listen to much other than country and rap, so can't much help with a wide variety. Sarah Evens and Collin Raye are my favorite for vocals, though...
Old 08-02-02, 12:11 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

So it's really that good huh? Dang, did you put in the MkII 240? the tweeters too?
Old 08-02-02, 03:59 AM
stevie
Driver

The Sheffield Lab Drum and Track Record. Awesome.

http://www.sheffieldlab.com/catalog.html#test

Stevie
Old 08-02-02, 08:01 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Eagles...Hell Freezes Over. A "standard issue" for any test cd.
Jennifer Warnes - "bird on a wire". Excellent voice!

Celine Dion is the choice for tuning my system - any of her albums will do nicely! Her new album has a song (track 2) "Right In Front of You"...simply incredible. THIS IS A MUST LISTEN! The violins are already hard enough to get the right amount of "air" to them, then there's Celines highly dynamic vocals. A real test. So far, only the Dynaudio Esotar T330D's have been able to reproduce them accurately and I suspect the new MD330D ESOTAR will do it also. THE torture test for a tweeter - titaniums can't do it, neither can the Infinity EMITS. They either sound too harsh or too "thin".

Jewel - "This Way" album. Sounds like they're using "valves/vacuum tubes" for the output. Good album though.

Billy Joel - Greatest Hits, Volume 3. Track 4, "Baby Grand" with Joel and Ray Charles. Excellent. Track 10, "Downeaster Alexa" is also excellent, but that goes for pretty much the entire album!

Now for some reason the Country titles have better recording than most other cds. They seem to be very picky about the vocals and getting everything "right". Lila McCann, Trisha Yearwood - depends on what you like.

Percy

Last edited by Percy; 08-02-02 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-02-02, 08:46 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Percy,

I agree Bird on a Wire is a good demo to test your system. It was featured on the IASCA disks of the past.

Her later album is also pretty good for that purpose "the hunter" killer bass.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...339238-7806373

For hard hitting low bass RAP hip hop... Nellyville is fun.

MW
Old 08-03-02, 11:38 AM
stevie
Driver

Anyone heard of a record label called GRP?

Their recordings are dynamite. Virtually anything in their catalog will make your system sound better than it ought to. Tight, clear. punchy - excellent recordings for showing off with. They do have the occasional badly recorded album, but most are quite superb.

They have some samplers at very low prices. I picked some of these up during my last trip to the States. I can't recommend them highly enough. Most of the material is jazz/rock oriented.

Dire Straits - great recordings and classic songs.

As for Celine Dione - excuse me while I find the barf bag-

Stevie
Old 08-03-02, 12:05 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

whitels: yea the 240s with the tweeters. but i didnt just swap out the speakers..i replaced everything..head unit, amps, etc etc..

thanks for all the suggestions guys..ima download the mp3s of all the songs u mentioned, and go out and buy the cd version of the ones i like.

-allen
Old 08-03-02, 04:35 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You best be buying that Sara Evens CD. She's a great singer and very easy on the eyes.
Old 08-04-02, 01:15 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gladiator soundtrack and Gladiator Score. These two have very wide frequency range and are great to check your midbass. This soundtrack made me go from single midbass per door to double per door.

Sade Live will do good. I just got this CD, pretty impressive.

Pet Shop Boys...I know...ghey but sounds very good and punchy. Perfect for systems with medium midbass capacity.

Diamond Audio CD, that thing is mostly based on midbass performance and brings out the best in your system. Absolutely wonderful CD.
Old 08-07-02, 03:32 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by fierce gs
thanks for all the suggestions guys..ima download the mp3s of all the songs u mentioned, and go out and buy the cd version of the ones i like.

-allen
I don't have any personal experience with them, but many people with high-end systems experience a noticeable SQ loss with MP3's. I'd go out and find the originals.
Old 08-08-02, 08:53 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

mp3 sound quality depends on the particular compression ratio used when the mp3 recording was made. Sound quality will vary widely among different mp3 recordings (even 2 mp3's of the same song!) due to this, from almost lossless/transparent for very low compression ratios, to almost GARBAGE for very high ones. Caveat emptor.