subwoofer wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-02, 01:49 PM
vermont
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool subwoofer wiring question

Hi,

I'm going to put 3 JL 8w6 (microsub 8.3). I have not decided on the amplifier yet, but thinking of using Jl mono amplifier 250/1 or 500/1, any suggestion. My question is where do I get the signal to feed to the amp. Do I just get if from the wire that goes to the subwoofer? Or I need to get it from the HU. I have a Nakamichi system on the car. Please help.
Old 08-06-02, 01:53 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 8.3 in my very first install, very versatile, but 8s will never go as low as their big brothers will. Anyway, Ive never had the nakamichi, but Im pretty sure it doesnt have RCAs, in which case you are going to have to get a llc or converter to turn speaker wire into RCA inputs (like on your VCR). You just need to splice into the factory speaker wire going to any speaker.
Old 08-06-02, 02:37 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Correct. The Nakamichi system does not have RCA outputs.
The easiest (but not necessarily the best) way to hook into your existing system is to use a LLC as suggested, Audiolink Powerlink2 recommended (available from Crutchfield.com, $30.), it has adjustable pots to adjust your signal level going into the amp. Yes, you can use the wires that are going to your factory sub and hook them directly to the LLC. Removal of the stock sub is recommended - you'll need to yank the rear seats and deck cover to do this, however. Once you hook into the existing subwoofer wires, the signal is already crossed-over (low-pass) so if you're putting in a JL amp, no further filtering of the signal is required (you can defeat the JL amp's filter(s)).