Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Phase Linear

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-02, 02:07 PM
stevie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've no idea why the PL guy on the forum is recommending reflex for this speaker. He is recommending alignments that produce a large peak at the bottom end and cabinets that are much too large.

Assuming that the T/S parameters are correct - and sometimes that can be a big 'if'- my figures check out OK. What I quoted were interior volumes. You would need to add a litre of two to account for the volume displaced by the speaker.

The speaker will work fine in Adam's enclosure. Sealed boxes can be fairly flexible about size. The proof of the pudding is always in the eating, of course.

I wonder if reflex is being recommended because the driver has a modest Xmax. The Xmax figure is given for all the other subs the company make but not for this one. What also puzzles me is why they are using ferrofluid in the gap when they have a 5 inch voice coil.

Stevie
Old 08-07-02, 09:06 AM
Adam_Peng
Driver School Candidate

Stivie,

Do you think I still need some stuffing in my current seald enclosure?

Right now I have some polyfill loosely filled inside the box, but I don't have any complain about the sound. Just wanted to make sure that I am doing it right...
Old 08-08-02, 01:29 AM
stevie
Driver

Unless you are crossing over very low with steep slopes it in usually a good idea to stuff the enclosure. I'm not sure what you mean by loosely filled but make sure that whatever you use can't move. Sonofill should be stapled or glued in place. Acoustic foam (must be acoustic) is easier to use because it's self-supporting. A rule of thumb for a sealed enclosure would be to line all the walls and put several layers on the back wall.

Stevie