Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

percy, no offense.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-02, 09:14 AM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So anyone know where I can get a small nuclear generator? Yeah, I know im going to have to upgrade, was thinking a 2nd yellowtop and a 200 amp alternator, depending on how many I use. Im leaning towards one because of weight and it would be a lot easier, but 2 would be fun.
Enginear, do you have it firing up or to the rear?
Old 08-08-02, 08:42 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Flux Capacitor! Now you're talkin'! Call me a geek, but it's one of my fav movies - I'll take the DeLorean too!

sirsomo:
My IDMAX is firing up directly through the stock hole, right under it, with minimum clearance It is an SQ theory of mine that woofers should create a direct wave into the cabin, not vibrate the body first. This tends to keep the bass wave in correct time/phase alignment with the rest of the system, minimizes peaks/dips due to the reflections in the trunk area, and keeps overall efficiency up, with a few caveats. The only time this isn't necessarily optimal is when you're running with all of the windows and sunroof wide open and cruising at highway speeds and trying to play at high SPL at the same time. In that case, help from as many vibrating body parts as possible helps to keep the SPL up by propagating the bass to the front , and since there's so much wind, pure SQ doesn't matter as much (God I hate saying that - SQ always matters). If anyone has a competing theory from experience, by the way, I'd love to hear it.

Sorry for blabbing so much.
Old 08-13-02, 02:20 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

While I don't care for the Dyns (I haven't been beat by them yet), I do value Percy's input. He doesn't just blab, he actually backs his thoughts up.

As for JL... . So many kids walk into my friends shop spouting JL crap for SPL. They just don't cut it anymore. SPL is best left to Treo, DD, Rockford (I can't believe I said that) and Kicker (I can't believe I said that either!). The W7 sounds like an old school system with the Audio Control Epicenter on. I used to use JL back in the day, but they've been left behind. Its a good thing they have a good marketing dept.
Old 08-13-02, 02:30 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

Rico's Revenge:
What are you running for woofies??? Quart?
I've been hearing that the W7's are mediocre, but strangely the 10" W7 got a decent writeup in this month's CarAudio and Electronics....
Old 08-13-02, 08:42 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

I believe Rico is always pushing Treo, so Id guess thats his sub of choice. For what its worth, Ive heard some W7s and imo they are good subs. They are loud but still have good sq. There is no way that Id pay more than $450 for them, but thats just me.
Old 08-14-02, 06:16 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

In all fairness, I have heard some of the JLs in SQ and they can sound decent.

The Treos are new and I really wasn't big on switching to it. It is beautiful and BIG and it has been doing well on the SPL side. I was very skeptical on the SQ side. But since my USACi competitor club "Team Zier Box" all switched to TREO, I was not really given a choice! LOL!!

After I installed it (fifth-order band-pass ported directly into the interior) I noticed it played alot deeper than my Orion XTRPro and I had to totally retune (no surprise). Luckily, the enclosures that come with our cars in the doors can play pretty low themselves (although I wouldn't recommend you set your crossovers that low on a daily basis) and I was able to keep the bass up front.

I love the woofer, but it is on the same price scale as the JL and the ID (still less than the Velo and the Brax).

Todd

PS...Team Zier Box consists of... a Probe (Stock 0-150) with (1) 12" and 100 watts hitting 150.5, a mini-truck (Mod 0-150) with (3) 15s doing 160.8, a F-150 (Mod 150-300) with (3) 15s hitting 162.4, a Nissan Frontier (Stock 601+) with (2) 15s hitting 162.1 and a Chevy S-10 P/U (Mod 601+ with no bed cut all in the extended cab) with (4) 15s hitting 170.2. We also did an overnight project with (1) 18" and 200 watts in my g/f's Cherokee for a show a month or so ago, she hit 155.8! Thats with no tuning! She beat second by over 10 DB. All this is in addition to my in Basic SQ and a Ranger in Pro SQ 801+ (both undefeated this year).

We're hoping for a World Record and a USACi championship with the Nissan.
Old 08-14-02, 01:40 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Heres an updated shot of the trunk at night...
Old 08-14-02, 04:55 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Those numbers are impressive. 156 with only 200w? Was that from the dash, or from the port? These subs have to be incredibally effecient or those amps are way underrated. Am I missing something? Ive been looking at treo, but some of those subs retail around 800-1000 (ones with 280 oz magnet) which is a lot for one sub.

Last edited by sirsomo; 08-14-02 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-14-02, 09:30 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by sirsomo
Those numbers are impressive. 156 with only 200w? Was that from the dash, or from the port? These subs have to be incredibally effecient or those amps are way underrated. Am I missing something? Ive been looking at treo, but some of those subs retail around 800-1000 (ones with 280 oz magnet) which is a lot for one sub.
Cheater amps. Don't they go by the 4 ohm rating when determining classes? The amps are run at much lower impedences so you're working with alot more power than the class would indicate. If you were to go into that 200w class using 200 actual watts, I doubt you'd stand a snowball's chance in hell.
Old 08-15-02, 06:45 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

First off I meant to clarify in the original post that those numbers are done USACi Outlaw which means they are done with the mic in the floorboard. Also, USACi classifies vehicles by an amp's rating at 4 ohm (the only sanctioning body to do it like that I think).

The amps are not "cheater amps" but they are 1 ohm stable (Audio Art 100HCs). In my G/Fs Jeep with the (1) 18" she had two amps, one on each voicecoil at two ohms. On the dash she still hit 153. If we competed in DB Drag or IASCA, we probably wouldn't bother with these amps, we would run them like we do the big vehicles since wattage doesn't matter.

Our Mod 601 truck has (4) of the big CSX 15s and a Hifonics Colossus (8 total) on each voicecoil. (Check out the Colossus it is unreal, each sub is seeing around 6000 REAL watts and taking it!!) By the way those big CSX woofers are crazy! Place one next to a W7 and your jaw will drop as to how over-built it is.

Keep in mind that although, these systems are fully playable and do see some "normal" use, they are set up for competition.

If you're serious about the Treo, PM me and I'll see what I can get them to you for. I don't think you'll need the big CSX series, the SS series (what I use) is amazing as well.

Todd
Old 08-15-02, 02:49 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have no idea how Treo's would sound in SQ setup but I must admitt that they own SPL cmpetitions. Pretty serious woofer.
Old 08-15-02, 03:09 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

If you guys want to try those treo 12's out... let me know. I have a couple for sale. Sitting in my office, like new.

MW