Sponsored by:

percy, no offense.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-02, 09:16 AM
SRLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default percy, no offense.

no offfense man, you have some great write up on line, but you have to either go back to school or not be so bias...DYNAAUDIO is NOT the answer...they are so inferior against other high end subs, and to be honest should not even be mentioned for the free air installation. it is just plain WRONG. i can name ten that are ABLE to be used for free air, but really SHOULDNT be because they are not SPECIFICALLY designed for it.

it breaks my heart to say JL is the answer for the GS, but its time for you to face the facts, because it IS. IB4
Old 08-04-02, 10:43 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Haha,

Yeah, well everyone is entitled to his/her own opinions. Some research the specs, some read other's reviews, some listen to Percy, and the so very few visit a sound competition and listen for themselves.

I prefer a different sound to some of my friends. For example, I like a nice jazz horn to cut your neck off across my front stage, other like highs that make your ears bleed with a high-hat symbol combo. Then there are kids that just like boomy, loud, and out of phase bass.

The install I just finished in my SC300 I went with a JL W6 sub and tuned it in a fiberglass box running 400watts to it and was pleasantly surprised.

my .02

MW
Old 08-04-02, 10:52 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

JL Audio all the way, best free air subs!
Old 08-04-02, 12:58 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just from the top of my head I know that IDQ, Shiva, Focal can rape IB4. JL is ok but there are better. Besides I haven't seen Percy recommend Dyn subs at all. He is all about his precious Velodyne and no other sub beats Velo.
Old 08-04-02, 04:01 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i havent seen Percys system byut to my knowledge he coulda bought an IS300 with the amount of $$$ he spent on his setup. SOmeone who drops cash like that for a system has to know what hes talking about.
Old 08-04-02, 04:14 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Money has nothing to do with how any particular system sounds. It is all about the knowlege and installation. I can make cheaper speaker sound better then Rainbow Refference $7k set...all about installation skill and knowlege.
Old 08-04-02, 04:17 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

"SOmeone who drops cash like that for a system has to know what hes talking about."

That is not true... Just ask the Ricer Honda Kid down your street. He bought a $22,000 Civic SI and dumped $25,000 into it so it can pull 14.9's in the 1/4. Do you think HE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT REAL CARS?

Just cuz you got $$$ and spend it on expensive crap, doesn't mean you know ANYTHING.

However, I agree that Percy may know something about audio.

MW
Old 08-04-02, 10:44 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered my JL last week.

I've been in car audio for over 8 years now.
Old 08-05-02, 06:06 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pcmw
[B]"SOmeone who drops cash like that for a system has to know what hes talking about."

That is not true... Just ask the Ricer Honda Kid down your street. He bought a $22,000 Civic SI and dumped $25,000 into it so it can pull 14.9's in the 1/4. Do you think HE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT REAL CARS?

***There's no substitute for "in the trench" experience. It's one thing to have another guy dump the money and have another guy install it, but it's an entirely different thing to do it all yourself and make all the mistakes and LEARN from them along the way.***

However, I agree that Percy may know something about audio.
***Just the SQ side...I'm not a SPL fan, so I'll admit as not having any experience with hard core SPL.***

Percy
Old 08-05-02, 06:10 AM
Percy

Default Re: percy, no offense.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SRLEXUS
[B]no offfense man, you have some great write up on line, but you have to either go back to school or not be so bias...DYNAAUDIO is NOT the answer...they are so inferior against other high end subs, and to be honest should not even be mentioned for the free air installation. it is just plain WRONG. i can name ten that are ABLE to be used for free air, but really SHOULDNT be because they are not SPECIFICALLY designed for it.

***Name them. Give me reasons why and your subjective input.***

it breaks my heart to say JL is the answer for the GS, but its time for you to face the facts, because it IS. IB4

*** "THE" answer? Once again it all depends on system goals. Even the Vel isn't "THE" answer for all applications.***

Percy
Old 08-05-02, 01:04 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

For whats it worth, I had an IB4 on 200w in the rear deck of my GS and was not that impressed. I dont know what the answer is, but for me its definately not the IB4. Hopefully my ID MAXs in a sealed enclosure will be .

I have been on this board for awhile and have found that Percy is a very knowledgable person, especially in car audio. While I dont like Dyn as much as he does, it is one of the best and is a good recommendation.
Old 08-05-02, 02:07 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

sirsomo: Are you doing (2) IDMAX's? How many watts are you driving them with? They really like power. Where are you putting them???

I just did a single under-deck mount in a 1.5 cu ft 3/4 MDF sealed box, sounds incredible at all volumes. I'm really impressed with the construction, the cone is VERY hard to move with the hand, very damped, it obviously only goes where the electromechanics force it to go. I can hear all the detail of all the bass notes, I can easily tell the difference between a kick drum and a bass guitar (on some systems where people throw woofers at the car to see what sticks, you can't!!!...), and best of all I can play the thing soft, loud, or in between with minimal distortion. Though I haven't had the chance to do any metering yet, I can easily get nightclub levels and beyond, accurately. I'm gonna have to watch that I don't go deaf 'cause it's so easy to crank up with the lack of distortion and the fact that the bass sounds even better as you crank it. (I'll bet most of you guys have a similar problem.)

I just don't get the IB4 thing. Try rolling the windows down and getting bass out of it. I'll bet it's driven to its limits. Might be a helluvalot better than the factory, but I just don't see it as "the answer". And though I haven't heard the IB4, it had better sound more like a W6 and above and not like a W0 or W3 (flappers in the breeze), or it's not even worth the airtime it's getting...

SRLEXUS: It's not right to beat up on Percy without producing some DATA of your own. He's been trying to get you to do this, but you're not getting it. No one is able to calibrate your taste in bass against any kind of reference - this tends to make your opinion shaky.
Old 08-06-02, 01:29 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Enginear: Yeah, I have a pair of ID MAX 12s in the garage. I havent had time to start on them but hopefully in 2 weeks or so. 2 MAXs will be overkill I think, but theres only one way to find out.:eek: I want 2, but dont really need both, we'll see how the electrical system handles 2 1000w amps. I havent decided how many cubes, somewhere between 1.3 and 1.7 I think. Im planning a simple sealed enclosure for each sub, that way I can pull one out if need be. Im putting them behind the rear seat, probably firing up and take out the factory sub, dont know yet. How is your MAX set up?

PS, sorry for crapping on the thread.

Last edited by sirsomo; 08-06-02 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-06-02, 02:26 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post IDMAXs

sirsomo:
(2) IDMAX's may be overkill, but you won't have to drive each one as hard to achieve the same SPL level. I built a 1.5 cu ft box on the recommendation of Matt from ID (apparently the IDMAX data sheet recommends a 1.3 cu ft box, but this may be outdated - 1.5 cu ft will be a flatter response, that's probably why he recommended it.)
Your 2-box method should work OK - in case you decide to do one box, it is best to use a septum (baffle) to separate the two sides to keep the woofer interaction down.
I did not want to cut the deck, so I went with a single woofer and I built a box that has the woofer in one corner so that it mounts right next to the center seat belt box, centers the woofer under the stock hole, and most of the box volume is over to the left. Inspiration was taken from Dex's install, but mine is apparently larger and heavier and harder to deal with.
1000 Watt amps! Good luck. The IDMAX sucks a lot of current when it hits during attacks, I have a JL 500/1 and one farad cap and it still dims the interior lights when I crank it up too much. You may need a small nuclear generator if you're going to crank them.
Old 08-06-02, 07:35 PM
Percy

Ok...bad joke.

How about a "flux capacitor"? Needs 1.21 gigawatts though...
Or "Mr. Fusion"...to heck with alternators! Now that's a nuclear generator. Even takes the carpet scraps leftover from the installation...and the leftover Pepsi and Pizza!

Percy

Quick Reply: percy, no offense.