Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Sub replacement and wiring question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-02, 10:59 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub replacement and wiring question...

Hi guys,

I have tried to look through all the threads in this forum, but I still did not find what I am looking for. If I missed the acutal topic please forgive me.

I currently have the stock Pioneer system in my GS and I want to start to upgrading my stereo system one step at a time due to budget constraint.......spending too much money on the other mods....... I really would like to start from the sub and an amp for the sub.

Here are my questions:

1. Does the stock Pioneer system comes with an amp that drives all the speakers? or are all the speakers just driven by a high power deck unit?

2. If I would like to upgrade my sub system first, can I just take the current wires that connects to the stock sub and plug them into a new mono amp and use the new mono amp to drive the new sub?

3. I just want to get a better output (performance) from my sub (not for competition or anything close to that), so I limited my budget to $400-500 (one amp + one free air sub) not including labor........ any recommandation, guys?

I don't really intend to replace the head unit....but eventually just all the speakers and a 2nd amp to drive the rest of the speakers.....when I get to that point, I will ask for recommandation later...

Thanks for all your input in advance......

kaju

Last edited by Kajukenbo; 08-04-02 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-05-02, 07:02 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, no one else seems to be helping you out here, so I'll shoot you some advice.

1. You have a factory amp to all of the speakers including the sub.

2. You can just replace the sub with a better unit, and do nothing more. (I highly suggest a JL10IB4 sub)

3. Yes, you can use the factory speaker leads at the sub to give signal to a mono amp. I did this in mine, great results, search my user name you should find the thread, I also posted pics of the entire install process.

4. I would not skimp on the sub or amp at all, you might want to try the new JL 250.1 amp, it has great power, very clean, and is somewhat compact. Not too expensive either.

Oh, and FYI, if you are planning on just adding a mono amp, use the leads that are actually AT the sub for your line level converter, no where else because it is not a good source.
Old 08-06-02, 09:48 AM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks GS3InPhx......

I guess the electronic forum is not as popular as the GS forum......it does take awhile for someone to respond to people questions.......

Since I have your attention here.....do you think I should just get a 5 channel amp now for my future door speaker upgrade or should I just get a mono channel amp first then get a 4 channel amp later.....?

I really appreciated your help and advice.........

Thanks again

Last edited by Kajukenbo; 08-06-02 at 10:25 AM.