Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 02:51 PM
viking880
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys... I just got my ML+, and am considering installing it myself. Has anyone done the install themselves? If so, what's the level of difficulty? Any DIYs/Tips? I'll do a detailed DIY if there aren't any yet.

Since my ML+ just came in, I am hoping VaisTech has already installed the upgraded firmware on it, and I won't have this issue.

I have a few questions:
1. Is the screen flicker still there? If so, this totally kills the experience. I saw an SL2IC and there was no flicker, and I'd rather go that route if there's noticeable flicker.
2. I have a 2007 IS 250 RWD. What's the best place to place the unit?
3. Finally, how much did you pay for it? I was charged 499 + $10 shipping, even though I mentioned the Club Lexus group buy. I am gonna call them back about this later today.

Great write-up in the initial posts BATMAT75.
Old 01-18-11, 02:54 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by batman75
Here is my quick take:
1) Steering wheel buttons work
2) Video controls are very useful. I am glad they added this because it is a meaningful improvement in functionality.
3) The album art is now square. This is a mixed blessing though, because it is square by doing TV-OUT in standard def mode (which is the way it should have been in the first place since the buttons leave a 4:3 area for the iPod out). However in this correct non distorted view, the font is too big. Too be honest I think I preferred the distorted album art with the smaller font. However they did fix the album art problem. The font size issue really is an Apple problem.

Are the others who did the firmware update also experiencing square album art without distortion?
1. Yes my steering wheel buttons (forward and reverse work).

Having said that, the issue where neither steering wheel button works reared it's ugly head again yesterday...but only once. The weird thing is that it happened when I left the iPod Touch plugged in and then turned off the car and ran errands; When I came back and restarted the car it didn't work at all, which makes me think there's some intermittent issue with the initialization routine (because if it was a connectivity issue it probably shouldn't have worked prior to turning off the car).

2. I'm not aware of the video controls. Are we referring to the new algorithm to reduce noise, or is this something different? Hmmmm....must investigate tonight.

3. My album art has been square thus far. If it stays this way, it tends to indicate that either this was a Vaistech issue and/or vaistech figured out a way to force the Apple ipod mode to display properly.

Although my firmware update experience was a little rough, the result has been positive thus far. Almost makes me want to take a road trip. :-)
Old 01-18-11, 02:56 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by viking880
Hey guys... I just got my ML+, and am considering installing it myself. Has anyone done the install themselves? If so, what's the level of difficulty? Any DIYs/Tips? I'll do a detailed DIY if there aren't any yet.

Since my ML+ just came in, I am hoping VaisTech has already installed the upgraded firmware on it, and I won't have this issue.

I have a few questions:
1. Is the screen flicker still there? If so, this totally kills the experience. I saw an SL2IC and there was no flicker, and I'd rather go that route if there's noticeable flicker.
3. Finally, how much did you pay for it? I was charged 499 + $10 shipping, even though I mentioned the Club Lexus group buy. I am gonna call them back about this later today.

I did the install together with the guy who did my custom aftermarket trunk setup. It's not as bad as I thought it would, and probably didn't need his help (although a second set of hands is good). If you put the ML+ unit on the passenger side floor under the carpet (the only place I could think to put it), and run the cables into the glovebox, there is no cutting or drilling required. You do have to take apart the dash a bit and remove the head unit, which is scary for some.
Old 01-18-11, 03:00 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rebs
2. I'm not aware of the video controls. Are we referring to the new algorithm to reduce noise, or is this something different? Hmmmm....must investigate tonight.

3. My album art has been square thus far. If it stays this way, it tends to indicate that either this was a Vaistech issue and/or vaistech figured out a way to force the Apple ipod mode to display properly.
When you are in video out mode, if you put your videos in a playlist (I have a playlist called music videos), you can get video controls.

I fired up my music videos in the playlist using the iPod. Once I did that if you press in the lower right corner of the Lexus screen a button bar pops up which allows you to pause, play, skip forward, skip back. It is great because you can skip around a music video playlist with these functions without having to touch the iPod.
Old 01-18-11, 04:04 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

When you are in video out mode, if you put your videos in a playlist (I have a playlist called music videos), you can get video controls.

I fired up my music videos in the playlist using the iPod. Once I did that if you press in the lower right corner of the Lexus screen a button bar pops up which allows you to pause, play, skip forward, skip back. It is great because you can skip around a music video playlist with these functions without having to touch the iPod.
Very cool! Thanks for the info; I will definitely test this out.

Do you (or anyone else) have any experience "ripping" dvd's to an Ipod Touch (or Iphone)? I'm using handbrake (and I've consulted their forums), but I'm just getting very sketchy results. I've finally gotten the video to look half way decent, but I always seem to lose the audio quality (even if I pick Dolby Digital, 6 channel, or AC3).

I'm running out of ideas and thought someone might have some insight
Old 01-18-11, 05:47 PM
NAK
Rookie

Do you (or anyone else) have any experience "ripping" dvd's to an Ipod Touch (or Iphone)? I'm using handbrake (and I've consulted their forums), but I'm just getting very sketchy results. I've finally gotten the video to look half way decent, but I always seem to lose the audio quality (even if I pick Dolby Digital, 6 channel, or AC3).
http://www.dvdfab.com/
Old 01-18-11, 07:34 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by viking880

I have a few questions:

It's not that hard, but the first time you take apart the center console and remove the head unit takes a long time and is a little stressful. If you haven't taken these pieces apart before, I would get someone else to do it. My installer charged just $75 bucks. Worth it to get someone who has done it before.

Also I learned how to take apart the center console from the installer, so today when I needed to reset the unit, I could do it myself.
Old 01-18-11, 11:40 PM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Default Intefaced locked down while in drive?

Wow - great review!

ML+ owners - Is the interface operable while driving or is it locked down?
Old 01-19-11, 12:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by chitownduc
Wow - great review!

ML+ owners - Is the interface operable while driving or is it locked down?
the interface you mean the ipod screen to control the song selections? it's not locked down when driving
Old 01-19-11, 06:25 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
the interface you mean the ipod screen to control the song selections? it's not locked down when driving
The video mode and video controls are also operable, but you need to enter a 4 digit pin every time
Old 01-19-11, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

The video mode and video controls are also operable, but you need to enter a 4 digit pin every time
one question i always have in mind. one you enter the code, you can do ipod video when driving.

what if at that point, you go back to your dvd changer and try to play dvd movie when car is moving? would that work too? i am talking about just based on the 4-digit code, not using the ps unit
Old 01-19-11, 09:01 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
one question i always have in mind. one you enter the code, you can do ipod video when driving.

what if at that point, you go back to your dvd changer and try to play dvd movie when car is moving? would that work too? i am talking about just based on the 4-digit code, not using the ps unit
Good question. I suspect it won't work, but I will try it when I head out for lunch today.
Old 01-20-11, 03:50 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Very cool! Thanks for the info; I will definitely test this out.

I'm running out of ideas and thought someone might have some insight
I'm responding to my post, which is pretty tacky, but I figure this might eventually be of value to someone.

Originally my thought process was to purchase the ML+ and then rip my current music dvd's to my ipod touch therefore giving my video in motion without carrying around multiple discs.

That dream died last night when I finally realized I won't get be able to support AC3 passthru last night. Yes, I can get the dvd's to my ipod, but the quality sucks. http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

Since this post sounds 'debbie downer', I just wanted to say this is an iPod issue, and that Apple Lossless format + iPod + ML+ sounds pretty darn good :-)
Old 01-20-11, 05:09 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I'm responding to my post, which is pretty tacky, but I figure this might eventually be of value to someone.

Originally my thought process was to purchase the ML+ and then rip my current music dvd's to my ipod touch therefore giving my video in motion without carrying around multiple discs.

That dream died last night when I finally realized I won't get be able to support AC3 passthru last night. Yes, I can get the dvd's to my ipod, but the quality sucks. http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

Since this post sounds 'debbie downer', I just wanted to say this is an iPod issue, and that Apple Lossless format + iPod + ML+ sounds pretty darn good :-)
You could just hook a portable dvd player to the composite input on the ML+
Old 01-20-11, 06:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

but he would lose the ipod out?

Quick Reply: Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!