Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 12:39 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
VAISTECH - Do you have any guidance on what we should do when this happens?
We have seen this similar behavior a couple of times. Basically iPod doesn't output the video signal, that's why iPod Out screen doesn't display. You can try to reboot the iPod. Or you can switch to another source and then get back to iPod Out, which seems to fix it. This is the same problem as you connect iPod to your computer and it doesn't get recognized and needs to be reconnected.

We will try and see if we can fix it on our end, but can not guarantee.
Old 02-05-11, 10:39 AM
Paoloveg
Driver School Candidate

Installed the latest update.

Solved the ipod video audio quality problem. Sound is now what I expected it to be.

Did not try the new fix for iPod classic because I upgraded it to an iTouch. Dear Vaistech, if you admitted that there was a fault when I first feedback to you and fixed it, I wouldn't have to spend more money for this upgrade. No grudges but I think you guys should take feedback more seriously.
Old 02-07-11, 07:26 AM
Paoloveg
Driver School Candidate

Did a more thorough test for the update today. I was really surprised on how good the video sound is now. My concert videos sounded almost as good as mp3 on ipod. I think the ML+ is 95% there as the ideal ipod integration kit now. Thank you Vaistech for this update.

The other 5% remaining will go to:
3% A proper backup camera integration without fault. It seems the initial problems in the earlier pages of this thread is still not fixed.
1% The steering wheel track up/down button goes MIA sometimes. Restarting the car solves it but will prefer for it to work all the time.
1% Track names and artist names to scroll. Many song names are longer than the designated space. Due to the album art getting in the way, these songs end with ... Hopefully, we can see it scroll unless it's due to Apple restrictions again.
Old 02-07-11, 10:53 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by Paoloveg
Did a more thorough test for the update today. I was really surprised on how good the video sound is now. My concert videos sounded almost as good as mp3 on ipod. I think the ML+ is 95% there as the ideal ipod integration kit now. Thank you Vaistech for this update.

The other 5% remaining will go to:
3% A proper backup camera integration without fault. It seems the initial problems in the earlier pages of this thread is still not fixed.
1% The steering wheel track up/down button goes MIA sometimes. Restarting the car solves it but will prefer for it to work all the time.
1% Track names and artist names to scroll. Many song names are longer than the designated space. Due to the album art getting in the way, these songs end with ... Hopefully, we can see it scroll unless it's due to Apple restrictions again.
Thank you Paoloveg for your kind review.

In regards to remaining problems:

1. ML Plus doesn't have back up camera integration. It has the camera input, which must be activated manually, automatic activation wasn't part of this unit or design. The reason why it wasn't part of the design is simply because all US vehicles with 5th Gen nav and up do have a back up camera as a standard equipment. Not that international markets don't interest us, but volume isn't high enough to implement this functionality at this time.

2. Steering wheel controls going MIA has been reported by one more user, and we have our team looking into it.

3. Unfortunately we can't add scroll functionality. This display comes from Apple and we can't alter it in any way.

Thank you!

Last edited by VaisTech; 02-07-11 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-07-11, 11:38 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VaisTech

1. ML Plus doesn't have back up camera integration. It has the camera input, which must be activated manually, automatic activation wasn't part of this unit or design. The reason why it wasn't part of the design is simply because all US vehicles with 5th Gen nav and up do have a back up camera as a standard equipment. Not that international markets don't interest us, but volume isn't high enough to implement this functionality at this time.

2. Steering wheel controls going MIA has been reported by one more user, and we have our team looking into it.

3. Unfortunately we can't add scroll functionality. This display comes from Apple and we can't alter it in any way.

Thank you!
I had the steering wheel control going MIA a couple of times also.

The other 2 intermittent issues I have had recently are:
1) Sometimes the screen gets stuck on the iPod out black screen and won't respond to touch. Also if I switch to maps, or climate, or any other screen, the display still stays stuck on the iPod out black screen. Only solution is to switch off and restart the car.
2) Backup camera flickering - I assume is some sort of interference.
Old 02-07-11, 01:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I had the steering wheel control going MIA a couple of times also.

The other 2 intermittent issues I have had recently are:
1) Sometimes the screen gets stuck on the iPod out black screen and won't respond to touch. Also if I switch to maps, or climate, or any other screen, the display still stays stuck on the iPod out black screen. Only solution is to switch off and restart the car.
2) Backup camera flickering - I assume is some sort of interference.
i thought when you see ipod out screen, someone posted saying going to ipod video and come back and that fixes it, or if unplugging and plugging the ipod back?
Old 02-07-11, 02:59 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i thought when you see ipod out screen, someone posted saying going to ipod video and come back and that fixes it, or if unplugging and plugging the ipod back?
Yeah that's right. This is a different issue. In this instance the screen froze completely. Wouldn't even respond to touch.
Old 02-08-11, 08:15 AM
Paoloveg
Driver School Candidate

I understand. I do not require you to come up with something just to satisfy the international markets. Your main market is the US and should remain so.

I do also understand however, that there is some integration problems with the factory backup camera. Some users feedback that the backup camera does not exit when DRIVE is engaged. I am interested to trouble shoot this problem and perhaps propose a solution that may benefit users in US and outside of US.

Question: What is the purpose of the backup camera button(above the source selection button) on the ML+ interface page for the users in US with factory installed backup camera?
Old 02-08-11, 09:53 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by Paoloveg
I understand. I do not require you to come up with something just to satisfy the international markets. Your main market is the US and should remain so.

I do also understand however, that there is some integration problems with the factory backup camera. Some users feedback that the backup camera does not exit when DRIVE is engaged. I am interested to trouble shoot this problem and perhaps propose a solution that may benefit users in US and outside of US.

Question: What is the purpose of the backup camera button(above the source selection button) on the ML+ interface page for the users in US with factory installed backup camera?
Backup camera button is designed to turn on factory installed backup camera while the car is moving forward.
Old 02-09-11, 07:04 AM
Paoloveg
Driver School Candidate

Backup camera button is designed to turn on factory installed backup camera while the car is moving forward.
Being the devil's advocate here but isn't this a little redundant? I'm sure most people do not look at the backup camera view while driving forward. I do not comprehend any use of this function at all. It cannot serve as a replacement for the rear-view mirror since the backup camera is tilted downwards towards the ground.

I think the users in US have their factory backup camera activated automatically, the ML+ continues playing the music, but the display shows the backup camera when the car is in reverse. Hence, there is no need for the button.

Suggestion:
This button is redundant to the users in US since they all have default backup cameras that activates automatically when reverse is engaged. Instead of creating this button that does not add value, a slight software tweak may create more marketing angles for your ML+ unit. This button should function like a quick toggle between the current mode and the AV3 source. AV3 source can be backup camera for people like me or a camera installed to view the backseat for those with babies or children. Doesn't this make more sense? Isn't this an additional angle that you can market your product in the international market and to those who wants to view their babies in the baby seat?
Old 02-14-11, 04:31 AM
DiDiMau
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow this is great info. thank you for all the contributors on this thread. you have helped me and i'm sure a lot of people in their quest for Ipod integration. i will be putting in an order soon. Keep up the great work everybody and hopefully i can contribute to this thread too when i get my ML+.
Old 02-14-11, 06:32 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DiDiMau
wow this is great info. thank you for all the contributors on this thread. you have helped me and i'm sure a lot of people in their quest for Ipod integration. i will be putting in an order soon. Keep up the great work everybody and hopefully i can contribute to this thread too when i get my ML+.
You will love it. We were buying cars this weekend, and we did not see a single model which had such a nice iPod interface.
Old 02-20-11, 09:03 AM
idengrenme
Driver School Candidate

2006 IS350 MARK LEVINSON NAV

I also have these problems reported by batman and others:

(1) I had the steering wheel control going MIA a couple of times also.

(2) Sometimes the screen gets stuck on the iPod out black screen and won't respond to touch. Also if I switch to maps, or climate, or any other screen, the display still stays stuck on the iPod out black screen. Only solution is to switch off and restart the car.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: Restarting the car sometimes doesn't work. Oddly, leaving the car off for some period of time (a day or two) seems to solve the problem. When this bug surfaces for me, it's vicious and stays for a couple days. I just turn the car on a day or two later and it doesn't have the problem.

I do not seem to have (or maybe I don't notice) this problem:

(3) Backup camera flickering - I assume is some sort of interference.
Old 02-20-11, 09:05 AM
idengrenme
Driver School Candidate

also does anyone notice a popping sound coming from MLQ+ when playing music ("ipod out" mode specifically)? I am trying to trace this problem down now. Switched to satellite and didn't notice the popping. Going to play the same music over DVD-burned MP3 and see if there is a difference.

Could be a wiring problem, but want to make sure others aren't having the same problem.
Old 02-20-11, 09:53 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by idengrenme
2006 IS350 MARK LEVINSON NAV

I also have these problems reported by batman and others:

(1) I had the steering wheel control going MIA a couple of times also.

(2) Sometimes the screen gets stuck on the iPod out black screen and won't respond to touch. Also if I switch to maps, or climate, or any other screen, the display still stays stuck on the iPod out black screen. Only solution is to switch off and restart the car.

I do not seem to have (or maybe I don't notice) this problem:

(3) Backup camera flickering - I assume is some sort of interference.
I found that when the steering wheel controls go MIA or the screen stays stuck, I can restore function immediately by just pressing the audio button on the dash. But you are right - when this issue is occuring it takes a couple of days to disappear.

I haven't had the backup camera flickering issue again. Only happened once.

I still don't know how to switch off the backup camera mode. Once I activate it, I end up with the problem that the camera stays on when I switch out of reverse, and I need to hit Audio/Maps/Climate to get rid of it.

Originally Posted by idengrenme
also does anyone notice a popping sound coming from MLQ+ when playing music ("ipod out" mode specifically)? I am trying to trace this problem down now. Switched to satellite and didn't notice the popping. Going to play the same music over DVD-burned MP3 and see if there is a difference.

Could be a wiring problem, but want to make sure others aren't having the same problem.
I never encountered this issue. The one constant has been outstanding audio peformance in iPod Audio mode.

Quick Reply: Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!