Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 11:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by WIZARD1325
2 grips I have with the system

1. Ipod Art doesnt format correctly

2. You have to use the arrows when selecting a folder in your IPOD

I rather it use the arrows to scroll down and touching on the song rather then clicking the enter button

also do older generation Ipods work with this? I tried to plug in a Gen 3 and just gave me a blank screen with IPOD out
Unless I have to put it in emulator mode I forgot how to do this
it needs ios4
Old 10-13-11, 02:58 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it needs ios4
How about iOS5? Has anyone upgraded and tried with the ML+? I'm ready to take the leap but scared.
Old 10-13-11, 03:43 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLS
How about iOS5? Has anyone upgraded and tried with the ML+? I'm ready to take the leap but scared.
Apple still hasn't released official documentation for iOS5, so we do not support it yet. Once official documentation comes out, we will announce iOS5 support. If firmware has to be changed, we already have it ready.

Thanks for your patience everyone.
Old 10-13-11, 07:08 PM
eazybeezy
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,
New to the forum (and any forum for that matter)...I want to thank all the greats of this site and VAIS for the help they have given by posting! I would never have gotten through the install without all your great advice.

Finally got my ML+ and installed into my wife's RX400h, 2007 (no MarkLev.) and am very happy with it so far, however...a few glitches I was hoping someone might help me with...

I only had the video out mode to work for a few hours...and it was working fine, and then after I closed up the console...only CD-MP3 mode is working! when I go to the video graphic mode, I get the blank screen which says "Ipod out" or "Ipod video out" when I enter graphic mode...!!??? The right sided scroll selection is there, and Pandora works fine, and even the backup camera view works (while I am driving which i think is so cool!) but the ipod integration wont work which is why I got the device! except for the first few hours that I installed it!!! i just cant figure it out...i think it is something on the ipod end but cant be sure...

some info: i am using a verizon i phone4 which is the most updated that verizon allows it to be (4.2.10), and also a later generation ipod touch which also supports video out (ios4). I am using an apple component video cord which I bought from apple store, and not a rocketfish...and like I said it was working for a while...

well thats it...i am now enjoying the cd-mp3 version but no real video out or ipod integration as yet. I though of waiting a few days as 'Batman' suggested in one post but not sure if this is waiting with the device disconnected or not (?) I never did actually get any programming beeps when i did the install 'programming.'

on a funnier note, my wife now refuses to drive the car and thinks that I should have left the install to the pros; she is probably right, but in the mean time I get to enjoy the ride and listen to my music while i go to work and she drives my other car!

thanks again for all your posted advice, and let me know if you have any suggestions. thanks!
ez
Old 10-13-11, 11:41 PM
kitchamp
Rookie

Is it possible that you might have jiggled/knocked loose the small connector with the component video pigtail? As I understand it, the audio signal and control signals pass via USB, but the ipod out and ipod video out screen feeds pass via component cable, so I think you might have a problem in that plug being loose. Try to open back and and re-seat this connector (the small black one connected to ML+ box), I hope this helps.
Old 10-14-11, 01:36 PM
lexid7
Driver School Candidate

2008 LS 460
no mark levinson, no self park
installed MLP-10 (MLP-12 is for mark levinson car)
the manual says to use mp3 emulation, but this does not work.
talked to Ben at vaistech, he says to use md emulation, but the method is not in the manual.
went through the trouble shooting and setup together with Ben. trick is to use both switches to turn on/off while programming.

Ben said MLP-10 is still not working with backup camera for this car. and they are working on it.

its nice to have all the features of ML+ but, still waiting for vaistech to fix the backup camera issue for the car.
Old 10-15-11, 06:57 AM
eazybeezy
Driver School Candidate

Hi Kitchamp, thanks for your reply!
I was suspect for this connection from the beginning because the little wires are so delicate. Unfortunately no luck!. I took everything out and made sure that connection was good. the little wires all look fine too. I am still stuck in the same mode where cd-mp3 works along with the audio and pandora and backup cam in graphic mode.

is it possible that i I programmed it wrong, i never really got any beeps. but it working for a while. I am not sure. i know the ipod and cable are working because it works on the tv. going to call VAIS tech on monday and ask. In the mean time I have removed everything completely and may plan to have lexus put it in so I will hopefully keep my warranty. thanks again
Old 10-15-11, 08:14 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by eazybeezy
is it possible that i I programmed it wrong, i never really got any beeps. but it working for a while. I am not sure. i know the ipod and cable are working because it works on the tv. going to call VAIS tech on monday and ask.
Your description sounds normal for when my iPod Touch is first connected (i.e. "iPod out" displays on blank screen), but then shortly after that the menu and controls should appear. It sounds to me like it could be software instead of hardware ... possibly some data (songs) on your iPhone that is hanging it up. Do you have access to another iPhone or iPod Touch to try? Alternatively you could remove all but one song from your iPhone to see if that works. I'm not sure what is going on during that brief pause but always assumed it was collecting the playlists and song info, and in your case that sounds like where it stops.

... and may plan to have lexus put it in so I will hopefully keep my warranty. thanks again
At best the dealership will likely refer you to a reputable local installer (that's what mine did when I asked about adding the PS Hack), and at worst they will make a note to deny related warranty work now knowing that a non-factory device is or will be added. My installer offered to reverse their work should I need to bring it to the dealership to prevent the possibility of this becoming an issue. I'd suggest asking ViasTech for a list of local authorized install shops and take it there if needed. Good luck!
Old 10-15-11, 08:33 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by VaisTech
Apple still hasn't released official documentation for iOS5, so we do not support it yet. Once official documentation comes out, we will announce iOS5 support. If firmware has to be changed, we already have it ready.

Thanks for your patience everyone.
I went ahead and upgraded to iOS5 on my iPod Touch 3rd Gen figuring that I could restore from the backup if it failed to work with the ML+. Pandora and iPod out mode still appear to work. At first I was just getting a blank screen with "iPod Out", so I switch to Pandora and that worked immediately. Then switched back to iPod Out and that came up after a longer than normal delay. I couldn't get the "iPod Video Out" mode to work, but didn't spend much time trying. I'm planning to stick with iOS5 for now, with hope that video out (rarely use) and speed may improve with next firmware update. Would also love to see Spotify support added (Pandora and Spotify rock!)
Old 10-15-11, 07:22 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

... Then switched back to iPod Out and that came up after a longer than normal delay. I couldn't get the "iPod Video Out" mode to work ...
Tried it again later and iPod Video Out worked, but can't get the iPod Out to work (blank screen displaying "iPod Out" only). Looks like I'll need to restore back to iOS4.
Old 10-17-11, 09:57 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

I finally took a plunge and got an iPhone (and I'm sorta missing my Android device, but that's for another thread).

iOS 5 is not working for me with the ML+, at least not on a consistent basis. I always get audio and steering wheel controls, but I only get the display about 10% of the time. I haven't figured out the common denominator yet, but I do think I'm behind one rev on my ML+ firmware, so I'll investigate that as well.

Just as a sidenote: I'm a little disappointed Vaistech doesn't already support iOS5. I know some people will be like "Well it just came out". However the reality is Apple allows you to signup as a developer for just $99/year and you get access to all their iOS pre-releases and documentation (plus they allow you to ask questions about API's, etc)....

...Since there hasn't been any significant changes in iOS5 in months (especially from audio/video perspective) there is no reason VaisTech couldn't be like other Apple Integrated Partners and be ready when new Apple products (or operating systems) are released.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-17-11, 10:57 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Thank you Rebs for your suggestions.

As for all certified Apple hardware developers MFI documentation was made available on Friday the 14th (the day iPhone 4s went on sale). We did have all beta versions tested while they were released, and do have a version available to be compatible with iOS5. We are doing the final testing (if you don't mind) with some final changes per now available documentation and are getting ready to have new firmware available by mid next week.

BTW, more new features are also coming in the new version.

Thanks everyone for your patience.
Old 10-17-11, 03:47 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by VaisTech
... new firmware available by mid next week.

BTW, more new features are also coming in the new version.
Thanks for the update on the update. I'll just enjoy CD-emulation mode until then. Can't wait to see what the new features will be.
Old 10-17-11, 04:55 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 208 Likes on 138 Posts

Is this why my ipod/Vaistech screen looked different today?!

Note: I havent driven my car since Thursday night.
Old 10-17-11, 06:17 PM
eazybeezy
Driver School Candidate

Hi Kyls,
Thanks for your suggestions. I was, in fact, trying multiple devices. an iphone, an ipod touch and an ipad, all with ios4. the iphone had only three songs and one video. the songs were bought through itunes so i would think they are legit...and they worked when the device was working. I only got the lockout code screen a few times and video out worked for the video after inputting the correct code. i also had the controls for ipod out working too...but only for that short time.

In the mean time, I spoke with VAIS and they are going to check out my pigtail and the unit for me.
good luck with ios 5 and the new update...

Quick Reply: Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!