Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 09:01 PM
sll0037
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm considering ordering a ML+ for my 2008 ISF with Mark Levinson and Navigation, but I have a few questions.

Assuming I order it directly from Vaistech, what have you all been paying for professional install?

I'd also be interested in preferred placement locations for the ML+ on a 2IS (ISF).
Old 12-12-11, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sll0037
I'm considering ordering a ML+ for my 2008 ISF with Mark Levinson and Navigation, but I have a few questions.

Assuming I order it directly from Vaistech, what have you all been paying for professional install?

I'd also be interested in preferred placement locations for the ML+ on a 2IS (ISF).
install should be around 1 hour, so you can check on the rates

for location, pop out the passenger side foot well cover below the knee airbag, there is a perfect spot for you to stick the unit to the bottom of the ac air box (i think) and then put the cover back on
Old 12-13-11, 05:41 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
Has anyone with a 2IS come up with a good place to install the unit yet? Mine is still sitting underneath the carpet by the passenger's feet. The bulge and the way it messes the carpet up annoys me.
Originally Posted by kingme
I'm also looking for a good spot to install the ML+ on the 2IS. Planning on installing this weekend so any help would be appreciated.
Originally Posted by sll0037

When I had mine installed in my ISF they put it under the passenger seat.
Old 12-13-11, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by WReuroR
When I had mine installed in my ISF they put it under the passenger seat.
never tried that before, does it affect any powered control features on the passenger seat?
Old 12-15-11, 09:22 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no one had the issue where the cover art went back to looking stretch vertical? Mine was fixed from a previous firmware update and now it looks like crap again.
Old 12-16-11, 10:34 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a quick question, my car is 07 ML system and did DVD motion hack ( wire cut) would the ML+ Vaistech work? would I have to rewire my cut wire? or leave the way the wire as and hook this ML+ unit to it? thanks
Old 12-16-11, 11:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ohiois350
I have a quick question, my car is 07 ML system and did DVD motion hack ( wire cut) would the ML+ Vaistech work? would I have to rewire my cut wire? or leave the way the wire as and hook this ML+ unit to it? thanks
yes it will. no you don't have to touch your wire cutting, different harness
Old 12-16-11, 06:40 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

....so im assuming everyone elses is fine
Old 12-22-11, 07:16 AM
sosobri805
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, quick question. I'm looking into gettin an ml+ unit, the thing is I have a 120gig iPod classic. I know video out is not supported, but does that also mean I won't be to see the cover art as well? Just want to make sure or else I'll be looking at iPod touch options as well....lol
Old 12-22-11, 11:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

correct, you need ipod touch with ios4/5 in order to utilize the ipod out feature
Old 01-03-12, 11:19 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
Originally Posted by sosobri805
Hey guys, quick question. I'm looking into gettin an ml+ unit, the thing is I have a 120gig iPod classic. I know video out is not supported, but does that also mean I won't be to see the cover art as well? Just want to make sure or else I'll be looking at iPod touch options as well....lol
correct, you need ipod touch with ios4/5 in order to utilize the ipod out feature
Ah, thanks for pointing this out. I've been using my 2g iPod Touch 32gb for the past 3ish years w/ my SL2vi in my '08 IS 350. I'm planning on replacing it soon and thought I would get an iPod Classic this time because for hard drive space I would be getting more bang for buck. The iPod wouldn't do anything more than sit in my car and feed my SL2vi.

But I do want to replace my SL2vi with an ML+ once I get some more information on the unit (things the site doesn't seem very clear on like the Video in, etc). If that's the case, then it seems I really should look into the iPod Touch (3rd generation or later) so I can futureproof myself for the possible ML+ I'll be purchasing.

Any thoughts on which generation of the iPod Touch over the other? I would need at least 32gb size. I know the latest iPod Touch would always be better, but again, this iPod will only be used for providng audio and video content in the car, no other reason. And the older the iPod Touch I get, the cheaper it will be.

Last edited by Shahryar; 01-03-12 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 12:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Shahryar
Ah, thanks for pointing this out. I've been using my 2g iPod Touch 32gb for the past 3ish years w/ my SL2vi in my '08 IS 350. I'm planning on replacing it soon and thought I would get an iPod Classic this time because for hard drive space I would be getting more bang for buck. The iPod wouldn't do anything more than sit in my car and feed my SL2vi but I do want to replace my SL2vi with an ML+ once I get some more information on the unit (things the site doesn't seem very clear on like the Video in, etc). If that's the case, then I really should look into the iPod Touch (3rd generation or later) so I can futureproof myself for the possible ML+ I'll be purchasing.

Any thoughts on which generation of the iPod Touch over the other? I would need at least 32gb size.
yeah if you plan to upgrade to ml+, definitely stay with itouch. i would really really say spend the money and get the latest gen that come with ios4/5 already. i don't think these is a "better" one, so far all the ones i have used are good

most of the problems i have seen so far are with iphone 3g/3gs that got updated to ios4 (or ios5). the hardware in those phones just aren't "appropriate" and although on paper it will work with ml+, but the slower hardware just never been able to keep up and i see a lot of little glitches here and there. with iphone4/4s, i have seen zero problems
Old 01-03-12, 01:29 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^ Thanks for the reply. I just updated my post to clarify what I am asking a little more. I know the newer iPod Touch-es would be better, but for the purpose of solely just using the iPod Touch with the SL2Vi, what are the differences? That's why I'm asking here versus on an Apple forum.

Because I would need such a large hard drive space of at least 32gb to keep my entire music library on and still have room for videos, there would be significant savings in going with an older gen vs a newer one.

I do have the 16gb iPhone 4s so I will be using that off and on w/ whatever VAIS Tech product is in my car when I want to do web audio or video. But probably on longer drives because I don't want to keep connecting my iPhone to my VAIS device and taking off. I'd rather just leave an iPod Touch there that I remove weekly to update the audio tracks and videos on the device. I think newer iOS has Wifi Sync right? So I may not even need to ever remove from my car.

However, from reading your post, I think it's safe to say the 3rd generation of the iPod Touch (the one that came alongside the iPhone 3gs) shouldn't be considered. So it's really between the previous gen and current gen.

If there is no noticable difference and I can save a lot of money on the previous generation 32b or 64gb one versus a current one, I'll just go with the previous.

Last edited by Shahryar; 01-03-12 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 01:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i am not 100% familiar with the generation history on the ipod touch, but i would say those that came out with ios4 already, they are good (never seen a problem). if it first came out with the ios3 but upgradable to ios4, i personally haven't tried any, but i would be a bit cautious
Old 01-03-12, 03:29 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^ Actually, I didn't realize that the current generation was actually from 2010 and came out following the iPhone 4. I thought there was actually a later generation that came after/alongside the iPhone 4s.

So I'm just going to grab the latest iPod Touch. The 64gb one is $365 at Best Buy (plus tax if it's in your state). The reason I'm going w/ Best Buy is because a person over at slickdeals mentioned that if you have any issues within the Apple Warranty period, Best Buy will just give you store credit. If this were to happen after a new generation of the iPod Touch comes out, it would be a nice opportunity to get that version for not much more.

Quick Reply: Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!