Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 02:20 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
^ The good news is that should Apple add touch functionality through iPod out, we should be able to upgrade out ML+ firmware to take advantage of it. I hope to see that come to fruition sometime soon.
Yes we should be able to do that. But we won't be able to have swiping because our resistive touch screens. I was hoping Lexus would have capacitive touch screens in the next gen models, but it seems they went backwards to more primitive mouse tech from the 1980s.
Old 12-28-10, 02:41 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Yeah, no multitouch possibilities either given the nav screen technology. Oh well.
Old 12-28-10, 07:01 PM
supags
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay related to this...i'm planning on buying this product but I also want to add a 15" sub or 2 12" which ever would sound nice in the 06 gs. can anyone recommend anything. how this can be done in a proper clean way. thanks
Old 12-28-10, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by supags
okay related to this...i'm planning on buying this product but I also want to add a 15" sub or 2 12" which ever would sound nice in the 06 gs. can anyone recommend anything. how this can be done in a proper clean way. thanks
06 gs? you have gen4 system, ml+ needs gen5 i think?
Old 12-29-10, 10:56 AM
Esquire08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by supags
Get a premium 12" sub and be done with it. Image Dynamics is my favorite. I had two 12" JL W3v2's in my old IS300. They both crumbled after five years' use and I replaced it with one Image Dynamics 12" IDQv.3 and it hits just as hard and with much more accuracy. Plus, you get to save trunk space.
Old 12-29-10, 11:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

The VaisTech website says ML+ is Gen 6 compatible: http://www.vaistech.com/products/product_comparison.php Am I missing something?
Originally Posted by batman75
Yes - Vaistech stated in their forums that the version they launched last week (which I have) works on both Gen 5 and Gen 6 with touch-screen nav.

They will be launching a version for Gen 6 with joystick in about a week.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6025972-post4.html

seems like it will be available next month
Old 12-29-10, 03:21 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

I couldn't see anywhere where you can control play, pause, rewind, fast forward for videos. Can you do that?
Old 12-29-10, 03:45 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AznJason
I couldn't see anywhere where you can control play, pause, rewind, fast forward for videos. Can you do that?
You can do that, but for videos all the controls are from the iPod or iPhone touch screen. There are no video controls on the nav screen.

Apparently this is an Apple limitation - Apple doesn't support external interfaces for video.
Old 12-29-10, 03:48 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Ahhhh... that probably explains why it stopped working on my SL2Vi after I stupidly updated to 4.0.2 and why it'll probably never work. I used to be able to FF when I still had iOS 3.x. Might still be worth upgrading to the ML+ to get the better video quality though.
Old 01-01-11, 07:12 AM
LLaPan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NAK
1. iPhone/iPod volume has nothing to do with "line out" or "USB Audio" outputs. It is only works for your headphones or bluetooth audio.

3. I do not recommend you to use "Sound Check" functionality (turn it OFF and keep it this way) on your iPod/iPhone, unless you want to get additional distortions. This technology same as ASL. Dynamic volume adjustment can not give you quality sound. Same thing about EQ. EQ settings on your iPod/iPhone designed for your headphones, not for Lexus or Toyota amplifier. They have own EQ controls...

5. You can not compare two audio sources, unless you are playing exactly same song (same volume, same digital gain settings, and etc.).
NAK,

Thanks for the advice. 0n your para. #2, I had already reached the conclusion that both the EQ and the Sound Check settings on my iPhone's iPod should be set to OFF; but thanks so much for confirming that my conclusions were indeed correct. With respect to your comment about the ASL setting via my Lexus stereo control, are you advising that I should set that to OFF also?

With respect to your para. #5, I wasn't trying to compare two settings, as in they were ""wrong" and I was trying to fix them, I am merely trying to adjust default volumes so that when I cycle through modes on my Lexus stereo (particularly when cycling from Vaitech's iPod Out to the native Lexus FM1 and FM2) that I wouldn't be blasted out of my seat or fry my speakers. To get the loudness I like in iPod Out (playing on my non-mark Levinson sound system), I have the volume set to 45. To acheive my preferred loudness in FM, my car speaker volume is only set to around 30. Thus, when I've been playing music in iPod Out, then switch to an FM mode, the 45 volume setting plays my FM music at a hair-raising level. Don't have the same problem in iPod Video out because the Vaistech loudness control isn't greyed out, and I have it set to +9 to match the FM mode loudness, and thus no manual adjustment of my car radio volume is required. So now we've come back full circle to my original question: why is the iPod Out volume adjustment greyed out so I can't make the same type of volume adjustment as I am allowed to do via iPod Video Out. BUT, now that Vaistech has replied that iPod Out volume adjustment is greyed out on purpose (although I'm not very clear on their explanation of "why"), I have applied the volume fix you suggest, via the iTunes program, and have set all my iPod music to play at a higher default percentage (150% of normal). I had applied this wholesale increase in music volume via iTunes once before, then later undid it, because if you are not 100% consistent at applying the "150% of normal" setting to all new music, as it comes in; then you end up with stray songs being played at the lower, normal volume. (Remember, I have Sound Check set to off, for better music quality). Since I can't find a default way to set iTunes to always save new music at the level 150% of normal, I guess their is no elegant solution of my problem. I'll just have to make sure I never forget to make the "150% of normal" adjustment on every new piece of music I purchase via iTunes, or load via other sources.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-01-11, 04:26 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Does doing the 150% volume via iTunes affect sound quality at all?
Old 01-01-11, 10:14 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

I got around to installing the VaisTech ML+ in my IS350 yesterday. So far, I'm very happy with the unit. I have Mark Levinson audio as well and the change from analog (I used to have an SL2i-UP) to digital audio is definitely noticeable, although batman75 seems to be more enthusiastic about it. All my music just seems to be more "crisp," especially with the highs and mids. Unfortunately for me, my excessive midpipe drone takes away from the audio experience just a bit.

The graphical interface is also very cool. It's much more intuitive and slick than the OEM-style menus of the SL2i-UP on other iPod kits. However, like others, I wish you could touch on the menu items to select them, instead of using arrows and an enter key.

I do have a few qualms though. First, I don't know exactly where to put the unit itself. I saw this VML installation in a 2IS, but the ML+ unit is much thicker so it doesn't fit in that area under the glovebox. Anyone know a good spot? For the time being, it's underneath the carpet where the passenger's feet are, bulging out like a tumor. There's some foam padding there I could cut into to make it more flush, but I'm going to wait to see if there's a better option before I bust out the box cutters.

Other issues/glitches I'm having:

1. The interface screen constantly has "static," kind of like an antenna TV station with reception problems.
2. The buttons (forward and back) to toggle between tracks on the steering wheel and dash ONLY go forward. I have to click on the back arrow on the nav screen to go back a track. This is a major glitch and inconvenience.
3. Every so often the buttons to toggle between tracks on the steering wheel and dash won't work at all, but the nav screen buttons still work.
4. Is it just me, or is the album art squeezed horizontally so that everything looks skinnier?

Anyone else having these problems?

Last edited by brociouz; 01-01-11 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-03-11, 10:09 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Another glitching I'm experiencing, the rear view camera stays on even after I shift back into drive. I have to hit the Audio button to get out of it. Anyone else having these glitches? Maybe it's a 2IS thing...
Old 01-03-11, 12:04 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I have Mark Levinson audio as well and the change from analog (I used to have an SL2i-UP) to digital audio is definitely noticeable, although batman75 seems to be more enthusiastic about it. All my music just seems to be more "crisp," especially with the highs and mids.
My sense is the higher end Lexus model, the more pronounced the difference. The LS guys rave about the sound quality difference. I find on the GS you notice the increase in crispness you have seen, but you also notice a lot more range to the notes.

Anyone know a good spot? For the time being, it's underneath the carpet where the passenger's feet are, bulging out like a tumor. There's some foam padding there I could cut into to make it more flush, but I'm going to wait to see if there's a better option before I bust out the box cutters.
I mounted it in the same place. On 3GS bulge is noticeable but not horrible. I'd be hesitant to cut into the padding myself.

1. The interface screen constantly has "static," kind of like an antenna TV station with reception problems.
Haven't had any of this. This sounds like either an install problem, a cable problem or a defect in the device. Take a pic and post it. Also share with Vais.

2. The buttons (forward and back) to toggle between tracks on the steering wheel and dash ONLY go forward. I have to click on the back arrow on the nav screen to go back a track. This is a major glitch and inconvenience.
In my car I can use the steering button to go back and forward except when in shuffle mode. In shuffle mode it just moves to next song.

3. Every so often the buttons to toggle between tracks on the steering wheel and dash won't work at all, but the nav screen buttons still work.
Haven't had this issue either.

4. Is it just me, or is the album art squeezed horizontally so that everything looks skinnier?
Yes it is. I noticed this in the promotional pre-launch pics too. I discussed this Vaistech before buying the device. It turns out that the pixels on the Nav screen are not square, and because the iPod pushes out the album art as being an even pixel height and width, it appears squeezed by the non-square pixels on the Lexus nav screen.
Old 01-03-11, 12:08 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Another glitching I'm experiencing, the rear view camera stays on even after I shift back into drive. I have to hit the Audio button to get out of it. Anyone else having these glitches? Maybe it's a 2IS thing...
I experience this whenever I engage the rear-view camera button and then don't switch off the camera feature. If the camera-on feature on the VML is switched off, this issue should not arise. In other words the problem is caused by the camera-on feature of the ML+ not disengaging by itself when you switch the car off, but staying engaged. You must manually disengage that feature.

I am not sure how I disengaged it, I just fiddled with the buttons till it was off. And I haven't touched it since and the rear view camera is working normally now in sync with the reverse gear.

The documentation they provide on these features is pretty appalling. Doesn't explain much.

Quick Reply: Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!