Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 03:07 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rebs
I would find it very interesting to do a blind test with the same media and see how many people notice the difference and how much is placebo.
When I first got my SL2i-UP I did a back to back comparison of the same tracks on CD and Sl2i-UP and found the SL2i-UP output to be noticeably inferior. I did the same with the new setup and found them to be on par.

In the GS460 ML system it is certainly not placebo. It is a stark difference.
Old 01-04-11, 03:28 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
Do you have any pictures? Did you have to cut or modify anything? I put it on the floor under the carpet.
No, I don't have pictures and I didn't cut or modify anything. There are basically two cutouts on the back of the glove box. One is for the air filter, I have no idea what the other one is for, but it's a snap off or snap on situation. I'm currently routing the cables through that opening, but taping the cables to the back of the glove box so it doesn't interfere with the airflow. I may change that mount in the future, but I really don't want it under my carpet because I want easy access and decent ventilation.

I bought my cable from VaisTech... what do I need the DRM chip for? ... What cable did you replace? The VaisTech component/USB cable with Apple's?
My cable was from Bestbuy, so I can't speak to the VaisTech cable. If you do some research on the latest apple devices and their latest cables you'll find out a little more about device compatibility with cables, DRM chips, and the video tax. I'll just say I tried 2 non-apple cables that were supposed to work find with my device, and they both sucked, so I ended up reading a lot about the latest apple devices and cables. Having said that, the VaisTech cable might be fine.

Do you have Mark Levinson audio? If not, your music is analog to the amp (instead of digital to the amp), so you would hear less of a difference.
Yep I have ML and I'm using Apple lossless audio files (directly from FLAC). I'm not saying there is no difference, but it's minimal and I'm betting most people would really have to listen really hard to hear it.

I get the same delay with 3,000+ songs on my brand new iPod touch. It's usually not more than 1/4-1/2 a second, but still annoying.
Unfortunately, mine sometimes lasts 3-5 seconds and it appears to be random.

I should add, I do like this device. It's one of the better devices I've used. If someone asked me to rate it, I'd probably give it 3.5 / 5 stars.

Last edited by rebs; 01-04-11 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 03:35 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by batman75
When I first got my SL2i-UP I did a back to back comparison of the same tracks on CD and Sl2i-UP and found the SL2i-UP output to be noticeably inferior. I did the same with the new setup and found them to be on par.

In the GS460 ML system it is certainly not placebo. It is a stark difference.
I'm definitely not doubting your experience; I'm just sharing mine. For what it's worth, I had 2 friends that felt the same way about the differences between the iC and the ML+. There may be a difference, but would I say it's a night and day difference using the same quality files? Nope.

However, I would ask that if anyone performs this test themselves they use a lossless format. I keep hearing a lot about lossless MP3's, but I haven't seen too many people that have actually transferred lossless MP3's to their iPod ;-). I would highly recommend going directly from DVD/CD to Apple lossless or FLAC (and then convert to apple lossless). Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-04-11, 03:58 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My cable was from Bestbuy, so I can't speak to the VaisTech cable. If you do some research on the latest apple devices and their latest cables you'll find out a little more about device compatibility with cables, DRM chips, and the video tax. I'll just say I tried 2 non-apple cables that were supposed to work find with my device, and they both sucked, so I ended up reading a lot about the latest apple devices and cables. Having said that, the VaisTech cable might be fine.
Do you think having a non-Apple cable might explain my static interference? Seems like a cable should either work or not...
Old 01-04-11, 04:16 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Do you think having a non-Apple cable might explain my static interference? Seems like a cable should either work or not...
I COMPLETELY agree!

However, that's not really the case with Apple. I guess my URL's aren't coming through. Just go to ilounge.com, click reviews, and look at the cable reviews. Make note of how you need a cable with "Apple device authentication chip inside" (in many cases) for full audio and video functionality.

As far as Vaistech's cable being an issue...I don't know because I didn't buy it. I would think Vaistech tested with their own cable, but having said that...I don't know that for sure.

I did have some fuzzy-ness (horizontal interference) prior to switching to the Apple cable ($39 @ the Apple store)...however I also switched a couple of other things at the same time I installed the new cable. I re-encoded the movie and changed how my cables were routed, so I can't say definitively that specific issue was related to the cable.

Sorry, I wish I could be of more help. All I could say is it might be worth a try (if you wish to expend the resources).

Last edited by rebs; 01-04-11 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 04:39 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

^ What do you mean changing how the cables were routed? Just shuffling things around to avoid pinching? Did you have the horizontal interference in videos only? Because I'm getting it when just looking at the regular iPod Out menu.
Old 01-04-11, 04:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahahaa, seriously, you'd think cables are just that, cable. especially when it's digital info
Old 01-04-11, 04:55 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

^ What do you mean changing how the cables were routed? Just shuffling things around to avoid pinching? Did you have the horizontal interference in videos only? Because I'm getting it when just looking at the regular iPod Out menu.
Well I don't believe there was any pinching, but I decided to tape things better just to ensure that it wasn't happening....it was more for my own sanity...

If I remember correctly, I had horizontal interference on both the iPod Out and iPod Video out, but only when it was actually getting a feed from the iPod touch (not prior to it getting plugged in). It was just way more noticeable/annoying on the video feed.

If you wanted, you could hit the apple store, buy the cable, and just test it directly from the ML+ prior to routing it to where ever your mount is located, and see if that resolves your issue. It may not fix your issue, but based on what you are telling me it sounds like it's definitely worth a shot. What generation/model iPod do you have? Just an FYI: Mine is the 32GB Ipod touch 4th generation; I purchased it this past weekend.
Old 01-04-11, 05:02 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

^ Okay, I guess I'll just try Apple's official cable. Bastards.

I'm using a 64GB 4th Gen iPod touch. I'll try plugging my iPhone 4 in too to see if that helps any (it shouldn't).
Old 01-04-11, 06:26 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

^ Okay, I guess I'll just try Apple's official cable. Bastards.

I'm using a 64GB 4th Gen iPod touch. I'll try plugging my iPhone 4 in too to see if that helps any (it shouldn't).
I was wrong.

I upped the contrast and brightness to the default values, which really makes the black levels crappy, but is probably appropriate in the sun...and well I'm still seeing some horizontal interference. I do believe it's loads better than my other cable (but that could be psychological), and bottom line...unfortunately the horizontal interference is still there...and will probably drive me crazy.

I may try re-grounding the device...but I can't say I'm convinced this is the root cause.

I also tested the "back" button on the steering wheel while on all songs with *no* shuffle, and it skipped ahead a song every time I hit it. /sigh

Did I say I give this system a 3.5/5 star review? I might mean 2. The sound is nice, but the back button not working on the steering wheel, and the horizontal interference with the display (when the screen is at the default values) are issues that should be solved in beta imho.
Old 01-04-11, 06:57 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The display issues you and brociouz are having sound terrible. I wonder whether it is just a dud device.
Old 01-04-11, 08:29 PM
NAK
Rookie

I upped the contrast and brightness to the default values, which really makes the black levels crappy..
I do not think black level on "iPod Out" and "iPod Video Out" the same. To me "iPod Out" looks brighter. I do not think it is done this way by VAIS. When you adjusting brightness and contrast of video signal you can boost artifacts and noise dramatically. Did you check brightness and contrast adjustments on your display (Lexus settings)? Is your iPod fully discharged or close to this? Try to turned off iPod and see if it's make any difference. If so, maybe source of this noise iPod itself (LCD backlight for example).
Maybe you have another noise source in your car.
In my car for example when battery not fully charged and cold outside backup camera produce terrible diagonal interference.
I may try re-grounding the device...but I can't say I'm convinced this is the root cause.
Proper "grounding" can make huge difference.

I also tested the "back" button on the steering wheel while on all songs with *no* shuffle, and it skipped ahead a song every time I hit it. /sigh
Yes it is a bug!
Old 01-04-11, 08:58 PM
NAK
Rookie

Another glitching I'm experiencing, the rear view camera stays on even after I shift back into drive. I have to hit the Audio button to get out of it. Anyone else having these glitches? Maybe it's a 2IS thing...
This is actually not a ML+ glitch. It is normal Lexus behavior. You can disconnect ML+ with Camera active as a last source and you will still have camera ON (figured out this during my installation)... Just push "MAP" to change default source and next time you drive you will get MAP on your screen instead of Camera.
Old 01-04-11, 11:38 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NAK
I do not think black level on "iPod Out" and "iPod Video Out" the same. To me "iPod Out" looks brighter. I do not think it is done this way by VAIS. When you adjusting brightness and contrast of video signal you can boost artifacts and noise dramatically. Did you check brightness and contrast adjustments on your display (Lexus settings)? Is your iPod fully discharged or close to this? Try to turned off iPod and see if it's make any difference. If so, maybe source of this noise iPod itself (LCD backlight for example).
You might be right about it being an intermittent noise. On the drive home from the gym, it looked a little better. I'm a little confused on why this would only appear on this device though; I've never noticed any noise on my DVD's, Satellite radio, etc. Ironically, the Ipod out looked worse than the iPod Video out.

The investigation will continue this weekend.
Old 01-05-11, 09:26 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

I ran into another glitch this morning, I couldn't disengage shuffle. I would just keep pressing the shuffle button and nothing would happen (the shuffle icon remained in the upper right of the screen). I tried holding it and still nothing. It only went away when I turned my car off and back on.

The sound is nice, but the back button not working on the steering wheel, and the horizontal interference with the display (when the screen is at the default values) are issues that should be solved in beta imho.
I agree 100%. It honestly feels like I'm Beta testing. I mean really? The back button on the steering wheel doesn't work? I made sure on my drive to work this morning, and it doesn't work regardless of shuffle settings, whether you're in Playlists, Albums, Songs, etc.

Originally Posted by batman75
The display issues you and brociouz are having sound terrible. I wonder whether it is just a dud device.
I was wondering that too, but having a second person with the same problem is beyond coincidence I think.

Originally Posted by NAK
Did you check brightness and contrast adjustments on your display (Lexus settings)?
I never changed my settings, but I can try playing with it later. The problem is of course that I have my screen settings the way I want, I shouldn't have to make the screen brighter or dimmer as a workaround.

Originally Posted by NAK
Is your iPod fully discharged or close to this? Try to turned off iPod and see if it's make any difference. If so, maybe source of this noise iPod itself (LCD backlight for example).

I'll try this as well, but again, this is something VaisTech should have figured out during Beta testing.

I wonder if there's any useful info in this TSIB for 2IS owners: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-released.html

Originally Posted by NAK
This is actually not a ML+ glitch. It is normal Lexus behavior. You can disconnect ML+ with Camera active as a last source and you will still have camera ON (figured out this during my installation)... Just push "MAP" to change default source and next time you drive you will get MAP on your screen instead of Camera.
When I put my car in reverse and the backup camera turns on, that's normal Lexus behavior. When I shift into Drive and it's still on, that's a glitch. Thankfully, it hasn't happened to me in the last couple of days.

Quick Reply: Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!