Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-11, 10:48 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

OS 4.2.1 and I have the tv out set as NTSC. I'm hoping its something stupid.....just not on my end.
Old 01-09-11, 11:16 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

I went out to the car and plugged it in again to see what would happen. All of sudden it was on the screen. OK I said, now why no sound? I unplugged the touch and plugged it back in and I got "Ipod device not supported" on the Itouch screen. So now after I hit dismiss, I didn't have video but I had sound. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and I never was able to get either to work again. I gave up. When the screen did come up and I was able to see the text, the screen had lines aka noise on the screen. I grounded the ML+ box as suggested and the rockfish cable is a very well built cable on all connections and insulation. I hope it's not a bad cable as I would have to remove the entire center console again to install the new one. I will wait to see what Vaistech has to say tomorrow. I don't think it's my cable only because I am not getting sound out of the I-touch cable or the AV1 input from the other cable.
Old 01-09-11, 11:25 AM
NAK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmade22
The cable I bought is a rockfish and it was brand new so I really can't see it being a problem where I get no video at all.
I believe answer to your problem in your Rocketfish iPod component cable.

Originally Posted by rebs
.... I got mine at Bestbuy; It was a Rocketfish component cable that supposedly worked with Ipod touch's (3rd generation and higher), but I would occasionally get an error message about 2 or more accessories being plugged in at the same time, and the video quality appeared to be poor.
Authentication chip inside Rocketfish cable not working properly! Properly made cable must disable chip if USB connection was activated.

Last edited by NAK; 01-09-11 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-09-11, 12:27 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NAK
Authentication chip inside Rocketfish cable not working properly! Properly made cable must disable chip if USB connection was activated.
I agree - I think this is the reason you are getting the accessory not supported message.

If you go out and get the Apple iPod Component AV cable, note that it is $39.99 at Apple Store, but $49.99 everywhere else.
Old 01-09-11, 04:46 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by batman75

According to NAK toggling this switch will resolve the issue of artwork being under the Vais menu. However I can't comment on that since I have not experienced this. The only bug I have seen is that I get the square artwork if I follow the sequence I posted earlier, and if I don't trigger that then I get the smaller font, small rectangular artwork which is the default setting. I avoid the square artwork because the font is too big.
I've only experienced the artwork partially being under the Vais menu once, but I guarantee you I didn't make any changes through the video/tv out menu you referenced earlier (in between attempts). The only change I made is turning off the car and turning it back on. Perhaps you are saying the Vaistech ML+ doesn't handle widescreen well? I'll make sure I keep it off (not that I toggle that setting anyway).

I have had my steering wheel "skip ahead" controls go dead on me (at least) twice within the last week (once it worked fine when I got out of my car...and I left my ipod plugged in, but the steering wheel controls were dead when I went back to work about 20 minutes later).

After getting some messages from other people experiencing the same results, I'm slowly becoming convinced there is something wrong with the vaistech initialization routine (in conjunction with the Lexus & Apple startup routines)...because it seems I get abnormal results at least 10-20% of the time without even unplugging the iPod.

I love the potential on this device, but yes...I do feel like a beta tester that should get a discount.
Old 01-10-11, 06:48 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

I ordered the Apple cable from best buy and when I went to pick it up from the store this week, it was the wrong one. So with no time to spare, I found the Rockfish on the shelf in the store. I realize that is a big mistake now and I am going to pay for it as I am going to take the car apart once again. Not all of it but most of it. I'm going to talk to Vaistech before I do this just to confirm but you guys are probably right. After I get it installed and my material comes in next week, I will add the install pictures to my 60k thread.
Old 01-10-11, 07:59 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rebs
I've only experienced the artwork partially being under the Vais menu once, but I guarantee you I didn't make any changes through the video/tv out menu you referenced earlier (in between attempts). The only change I made is turning off the car and turning it back on. Perhaps you are saying the Vaistech ML+ doesn't handle widescreen well? I'll make sure I keep it off (not that I toggle that setting anyway).

I have had my steering wheel "skip ahead" controls go dead on me (at least) twice within the last week (once it worked fine when I got out of my car...and I left my ipod plugged in, but the steering wheel controls were dead when I went back to work about 20 minutes later).

After getting some messages from other people experiencing the same results, I'm slowly becoming convinced there is something wrong with the vaistech initialization routine (in conjunction with the Lexus & Apple startup routines)...because it seems I get abnormal results at least 10-20% of the time without even unplugging the iPod.

I love the potential on this device, but yes...I do feel like a beta tester that should get a discount.
I really think there is something faulty either with your ML+ unit or your iPod. I honestly haven't had any of the issues you describe above. In fact the operation of my unit is highly consistent, and the only time I get something unusual it is following a fixed and specific sequence.

You seem to have randomly occurring errors which suggests a faulty product somewhere.
Old 01-10-11, 08:12 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by batman75
I really think there is something faulty either with your ML+ unit or your iPod. I honestly haven't had any of the issues you describe above. In fact the operation of my unit is highly consistent, and the only time I get something unusual it is following a fixed and specific sequence.

You seem to have randomly occurring errors which suggests a faulty product somewhere.
Normally I would agree, but I've spoken with other people experiencing the same problems, so I (unfortunately) think it's just a software bug (especially since Vaistech as gotten some issues like the misshapen artwork & screen noise reproduced in their lab).

I should add my iPod Touch is almost brand new (bought it the same weekend as the installation) and it has worked flawlessly with every other device/dock I've utilized except the ML+

Having said that, NAK messaged me and said he believes the display issue is completely Apple's issue and it (basically) has to do with "iPod Out" interface (intermittently) outputting the wrong resolution (and used the (non-locked) widescreen setting you referenced earlier as justification). After hearing his explanation, that theory seems a little more plausible to me.

I guess time will tell. :-)

Anyone got any good iPod dock solutions they care to share (my search in the Club Lexus forums hasn't had any great results)?

Last edited by rebs; 01-10-11 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-10-11, 08:34 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmade22
I ordered the Apple cable from best buy and when I went to pick it up from the store this week, it was the wrong one. So with no time to spare, I found the Rockfish on the shelf in the store. I realize that is a big mistake now and I am going to pay for it as I am going to take the car apart once again. Not all of it but most of it. I'm going to talk to Vaistech before I do this just to confirm but you guys are probably right. After I get it installed and my material comes in next week, I will add the install pictures to my 60k thread.
I had the Rocketfish cable, and had the same problem. Yay for Apple and there digital authentication chip ;-)
Old 01-12-11, 02:25 PM
morellana4
Driver School Candidate

Default Having a problem... need help

I have a lexus gs350 Can anyone tell that has installed the ml plus if they disconnected the battery or just plugged in the unit? ...can any one tell me if they did disconnect the battery did they get a check light or any light in the dash come on when they reconnected it? ....I disconnected the battery installed the unit and it was working fine but when i went to drive the car I couldnt take the car out of park and my lights in certain places weren't working.... i then completely removed the unit and took to a repair shop where they repaired the problem. i want to reinstall but i'm scared that i may do the same and cause another 300 repair. please help me
Old 01-12-11, 05:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i never had to disconnect battery on any of the installs
Old 01-13-11, 08:37 AM
morellana4
Driver School Candidate

Default ml plus install

rominl ...so you installed with the car off and plugged it in and had no problem? just want to make sure. Just got my car back and everything is good.I want to keep it that way.
Old 01-13-11, 08:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup, i don't really touch the battery. just install with the car shut off, make sure everything is plugged in and secure before i start the car for initialization / programming.

of course, the official words are to disconnect battery, and i can't make any guarantee that everything is 100% fine with the battery in place. i am just saying on my installs it worked
Old 01-14-11, 11:02 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

ML Plus update is available on our ftp site. Please email info@vaistech.com to request user name and password.
Old 01-14-11, 11:58 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VaisTech
ML Plus update is available on our ftp site. Please email info@vaistech.com to request user name and password.
Wow. Thanks for turning around an update in just a month, especially with the holidays.

I just sent the email.

Can you share which issues the update addresses?

Last edited by *Batman*; 01-14-11 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!