VVTIS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sure, four weeks is a LONG time!
Old 09-24-02, 09:56 AM
frankie04
Driver School Candidate

4 weeks is longer than i wanted to wait...but i've waited this long so 4 weeks is cake!!
Old 09-24-02, 04:56 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well said frankie..considering we've been driving the car without it for a while and now it just around the corner. I know how you guys feel, just right when you ordered something by mail and you sitting around for the UPS truck. All the circuit inside the little box is done by hand( soldering all the small resisters and capacitors) so it will take a while to finish one box. With all the orders from CL and .net, I'm sure Vlad will be busy for the next few month until he can get somebody to manufacturer for him.
Old 10-04-02, 02:23 PM
thinkdifferent
Driver School Candidate

Default IS300

Does this kit work with a 2002 IS300 as well? Thanks
Old 10-07-02, 08:42 PM
Neo302
Driver School Candidate

Hey VVT-i!
I met you at the meet with my brother meet and was drooling over your setup. Man I can't wait!!! You're car is so freakin' tight!!! BTW, thanks for offering to help!

Last edited by Neo302; 10-07-02 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-08-02, 02:13 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

ok so let me try to understand this..... for this whole thing to work on my 2002 rx300 with nav, i would need to buy....
that little black blox on vlad's web site for $300
one extra rgb cable $60
AND that pioneer 7000 unit for around $300 or wherever else i can find it cheaper.
then like a ps2 or dvd player, (which i already have)

so total cost to me would be $660.
is this correct and all the pieces i would need?
Old 10-08-02, 02:20 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

after having said that.... here are my next questions. would i be able to hook up three more tvs' i have two headrest ones and one front dash mount tv. then with all that hooked up would i be able to select what each tv is playing, like my front nav playing navigation and all other tvs playing dvd, or have all three tvs and nav playing a dvd etc. and any other combo.

also would i need to buy an fm modulator, (bc then which monitor, or navigation screen does the fm modulator know to play the sound for)
also does the stock nav voice still work with this setup. basically is the stock settings and nav effected in any way. i want it to still play like its stock.

and can the dvd play on the nav screen while driving with this unit, or only when in park.

sorry for all the quiestions.
Old 10-08-02, 03:50 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Using the rear video and L,R audio out RCA plugs on the GEX-P7000TV you can direct TV tuner, VTR1 or VTR2 (can be DVD player and/or game system) to the rear output jack independantly what is on your navigation screen. You simply use a "Y" RCA adapter or if running multiple screens a video amplifier might be a good idea.

As for audio you can also select your background audio seperate of the video. This is labeled on the navigaiton screen as BGVTR. The GEX-P7000TV comes with a FM modulator that can be active when the switch on the bottom of the GEX is put in stand-alone operation (no IP-Bus input or output). Since the FM modulators allows the audio to be played on your FM stereo, all the navigation voice prompts and functions will still work the same.

The GEX-P7000TV has a green wire to connect to your parking brake switch for safety. This can be bypassed by connecting the the wire directly to Ground. Of course do this at your own risk knowing that it's NOT LEGAL to drive with video in direct view of the driver.

Last edited by LS007; 10-08-02 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-08-02, 04:11 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the reply, still a little confused after reading it 4 times. but basically, it can be done. however ur saying to hook my screens up to a video splitter/amplifier and then connect it to the rear connection. so that would give me all those monitors showing the same thing on the screen. is there another way to hook it up so that each headrest tv and front dash tv can play all different things.
and on another note hooking it up whe way u sugested would that give me the option of playing the navigation on all three screens and the navigation screen?
Old 10-08-02, 04:54 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Navigation can only be displayed on the navigation screen, unless your rear monitors have RGB input (like Pioneer's AVD-W6000) and you have the know how to intercept the navigation systems RGB signals. Vlad's kit WILL NOT provide navigation on any other screen than the navigation screen.

In order to have different video sources on rear screens you will need a multisource switcher, like Pioneer's CD-VS33 (see http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...29,512,00.html) . With this part you can have independant selection of AV sources for your rear displays or by leaving each selector **** in the middle postion (#2) you can have the GEX control the rear displays. You also get a headphone jack and volume control for your 2 rear screens. The front AV jack is handy for plugging in a camcorder or game system. This would give your rear passanges the choice to select video source independant of the GEX or by leaving the ***** in the middle position you (via the GEX remote) are in control of your rear displays! To make this work as described, I'd recommend wiring it up like this.

AV Switcher Output 1 -> Left Rear Display
AV Switcher Output 2 -> Front Dash Mount TV
AV Switcher Output 3 -> Right Rear Display

AV Switcher Input 2 <- GEX Rear Display and Audio Output
AV Switcher Input 3 <- Y adapter(s) <- DVD Player -> Y adapter(s) -> GEX input VTR2

Then use a Y adapter to also run the game system or whatever is plugged into AV Switcher Input #1 to the GEX VTR1 input.

With the AV switcher there is no need for a video amplifier.

Hope this helps or maybe I just confused you more...

Last edited by LS007; 10-08-02 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-08-02, 05:58 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

ok u did confuse me a little more, but i managed to understand it after a while. but i think i would go with a different A/V selector. i want one that can control up to 5 screens. however, does any selector work with the pioneer gex7000. i noticed it has an rca output. so what does that get connected to any old A/V selctor?
also another different question
on the GEX7000 unit, there is another rca type connector and it has the letters OSD. what is that for?
along with that, on the pic in the first page or two, the GEX unit shows like 8 rca type connections. why on the wireing diagram it only shows 4?
sorry once again... this is my biggest question
does the factory navigation ecu wire have to be cut then run into the pba-n1 black box. then run back out to where the cut was made running into the multi display unit? OR are they plastic connection pieces. bc after all this, i dont want to cut the factory wires.
in advance, i want to thank you and everyone helpin out. this is a tough thing to understand when not talkin in person. stereo is my area, not multimedia YET. thanks for being patcient with me
Old 10-08-02, 06:14 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Yes, any AV selector with RCA inputs would work with the GEX rear display output. The GEX rear display output is exactly that... a A/V output for a rear screen. Yes, this makes the GEX a 2 input x 2 output (1 being your navigaiton screen) multisource switcher.

The OSD plug is used to help properly display on screen text when using a standard monitor vs. wide screen monitor. Not required for use in navigation screen applicaiton.

The GEX inputs and outputs are yellow plugs for video and red/white plugs for audio. I think the diagram only shows video.

You might need to ask Vlad about cutting the 4 wires between the navigation display and ECU. See if he has a better solution.
Old 10-08-02, 07:23 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Video-Nav for the info and man you sure know the products. Now you make me thinking of doing the nav on the rear monitors
There's no solution about cutting the wires yet and I talk to Lexus engineer at Southern Area Office in Atlanta and they said they don't know who make the connector or harness for the Nav ECU. They said 3 diffirence manufacturers make them and if you look at the connectors, they really small with tiny pins connectors. We've tried no to cut the wires with the plug and play in mine, but came up with nothing.
Old 10-17-02, 03:06 PM
VVTIS
Driver

Did anyone get it yet? *sigh I guess it has only been 3 weeks
Old 10-17-02, 03:08 PM
kidcapp
Lead Lap

i am still waiting for mine

Quick Reply: Just installed Vlad's Video-Nav I