Sponsored by:

Changing over stock system, need feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-10, 09:24 AM
Dubzy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing over stock system, need feedback

Hey guys, I have a 2006 ES330 and would like some input on some things I will be doing to my car. I have been going back and forth on what I want but am narrowing it down.

Basically I will be replacing the stock sound system and navigation completely and ebaying it but I can't decide to what extent. I have decided on the AVIC-D3 for the Head unit which I should be purchasing from a friend. I will be getting the Sirius SAT radio add on, as well as the steering wheel controls and possibly a back up camera as well. I also will be getting TV's for the Headrest as well. (Haven't decided on brand or anything for these yet).

I plan on using MB Quart Discus DSH216 6.5" 2-Way Component Speaker System for both front and rear speakers. Will be using some brackets to make sure they fit, and putting some dynamat in the doors as well to seal the deal.

My Friend has recommended a JL Audio Slash Series 300/4 - Amplifier - 4-channel. So I will be looking to see if I can find one used for about $200 or so.

Now I would like any feedback or recommendations on everything so far, as well as I am really not sure what I want to do with the subwoofer/bass. I really like my trunk space and have been playing with the idea of either upgrading the 8in factory subwoofer to like an Infinity or Kicker Comp and then there is the idea of doing some cutting and fitting a 10in subwoofer in there. Also I am not sure about if i should stay with free-air subwoofer or seal it in a box. I would like some clean bass, obviously better than the factory system, but don't need it to rattle the block. Anyone got some ideas on what they think i could do hear that I could be happy with?

Also will the subwoofer need a seperate amp regardless of the size/setup?

Please any recommendations would really help, thank you!
Old 04-23-11, 12:45 AM
93LexusES3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think you should use a Box for the Sub.....but if you can find a sub suitable for free air then that would be ok too...just make sure you High Pass that Free air sub at about 30-35 as your likely going to be reaching excursion limits quickly on such low frequiencies in a free air situation.

as for the amount of power i'd reccomend 75-150 Watts