Sponsored by:

quick qestion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 07:47 PM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick qestion

whats up guys, ive been researching online for thi and around CL too but havnt really found a straight forward answer that me (a newb) could really understand.

so the question is basically, if i connect 2 subwoofers to lets a an 800 watt amp, are both subs goin to get 800 watts or will they get 400 each?
Old 01-04-11, 10:15 PM
rayy117
Lead Lap

depends on the specs,brand, mono, two channel
Old 01-04-11, 10:33 PM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

Just in general like a mono 800 watt 400rms
Old 01-04-11, 10:58 PM
rayy117
Lead Lap

if its a mono, it'll be 800rms depending on the brand....if its 2 channel 800 watt... it doesnt push exactly 400.... it might be lower
Old 01-05-11, 12:36 AM
Jace_91
Pole Position

the only reason you haven't found a straightforward answer is that there really isn't one, these questions vary greatly depending on the amp. I would look at the research section of crutchfield.com they have a lot of good info on amps
Old 01-05-11, 05:16 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Jace_91
the only reason you haven't found a straightforward answer is that there really isn't one, these questions vary greatly depending on the amp. I would look at the research section of crutchfield.com they have a lot of good info on amps
Incorrect. The amp does not matter - the ohm values do, but only if they are different.

In mono, both subs wired to the amp, they will split the power evenly between them - provided they are the same ohm value (typically 4 ohms each per coil, but check your specific sub for more info). This is true of series or parallel wiring. If there are different values, the one with the lower value would get more power than the other.

Big Mack
Old 01-06-11, 10:10 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

whats the amp make and model so we can give you a straight forward answer.
Old 01-27-11, 11:26 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Incorrect. The amp does not matter - the ohm values do, but only if they are different.

In mono, both subs wired to the amp, they will split the power evenly between them - provided they are the same ohm value (typically 4 ohms each per coil, but check your specific sub for more info). This is true of series or parallel wiring. If there are different values, the one with the lower value would get more power than the other.

Big Mack
Correct and Incorrect BigMack... I might got you on this one. Mack is def right. But some amps such as JBL Crown amps have a patent technology... ie some crazy magical powers.... where they push 1000 watts (not exact specs) no matter what the ohm value or so they state. Correct me if im wrong folks.
Old 01-28-11, 07:07 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Correct and Incorrect BigMack... I might got you on this one. Mack is def right. But some amps such as JBL Crown amps have a patent technology... ie some crazy magical powers.... where they push 1000 watts (not exact specs) no matter what the ohm value or so they state. Correct me if im wrong folks.
What's incorrect? It's Ohm's law - less resistance = more power in any circuit. This is not going to change. The total load isn't the issue. The components of the load are, and that's where it divides.

JBL isn't the only one that does the same power into any load between 1 & 4 ohms. JL Audio has been doing this for years. They change the rail voltage inside to keep the power level constant.

Big Mack
Old 01-28-11, 07:38 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

What's incorrect? It's Ohm's law - less resistance = more power in any circuit. This is not going to change. The total load isn't the issue. The components of the load are, and that's where it divides.

JBL isn't the only one that does the same power into any load between 1 & 4 ohms. JL Audio has been doing this for years. They change the rail voltage inside to keep the power level constant.

Big Mack
Lol I knew it you got me again Mack .... ONE DAY !!!!
Old 01-28-11, 07:51 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Lol I knew it you got me again Mack .... ONE DAY !!!!
I do what I can, mang. I do what I can.

Big Mack
Old 01-29-11, 05:15 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Big Mack does good work. Nothing like practical "in the sound bays" experience.

I always enjoy the show.
Old 01-29-11, 11:56 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

I know... Mack def knows his stuff... thats why when you try and come at someone like him chose your words carefully... if you dont wanna look silly. I have been on the sales side of car audio for years, but only learned what things can do not so much knowledge as to really why or how.
Old 01-30-11, 12:11 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Percy
Big Mack does good work. Nothing like practical "in the sound bays" experience.

I always enjoy the show.
Thanks, mang. I try to keep it fun at the same time.

I know... Mack def knows his stuff... thats why when you try and come at someone like him chose your words carefully... if you dont wanna look silly. I have been on the sales side of car audio for years, but only learned what things can do not so much knowledge as to really why or how.
And thanks to you, too, mang. I like helping out where I can, and I am also very careful to not put out something wrong - don't want anyone letting out the magic smoke, right?

If you do sales, I would strongly encourage you to learn the why/how. It gives you more opportunity to explain why an upgrade might serve a customer better in the long term. Better they spend an extra 5-10% now than 70% more again when they want to do something mo bigga/betta. It also teaches you how to ask better questions when you know the other options that might be possible.

Big Mack
Old 01-30-11, 12:36 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, mang. I try to keep it fun at the same time.

And thanks to you, too, mang. I like helping out where I can, and I am also very careful to not put out something wrong - don't want anyone letting out the magic smoke, right?

If you do sales, I would strongly encourage you to learn the why/how. It gives you more opportunity to explain why an upgrade might serve a customer better in the long term. Better they spend an extra 5-10% now than 70% more again when they want to do something mo bigga/betta. It also teaches you how to ask better questions when you know the other options that might be possible.

Big Mack
Absolutely I should have said that I USED to do sales but I def agree with you. I do have more knowledge that the average joe when it comes to car audio but what I didnt know is how those JBL amps put out that wattage at whatever given load... now Im in a whole different line of work.. I switched to the medical world, so now its just a hobby rather than a career but I def appreciate you sharing some of that magic with me.