Sponsored by:

Vaistech ML+ Trouble Shooting

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 06:05 AM
Paoloveg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vaistech ML+ Trouble Shooting

Greetings to all Lexus owners. I just bought a 2007 GS300. It comes with Mark Levinson and DVD. No navigation.

I am just installing the ML+. Pairing it with the newest iPod Classic 160GB. Encountered some problems that require some advice.

Problem 1:
When selecting between sources eg. ipod out and ipod video out, music will only be played after holding on to the SCAN button for a couple of seconds and beep sound heard. It is not automatic. Music will be played on a blank screen unless I select CD emulation. Is this normal?

Problem 2:
iPod Video out does not work at all. Audio from video file works ok but no video is seen at all. No page to input password as well. Did I miss out any special cable to connect or setting to be made?

Problem 3:
I installed a back-up camera to Video 3. A new CAMERA button appeared on INFO page. Pressing this button does nothing. When reverse is engaged, screen does not automatically switch to back-up camera. I have to hold on to SCAN, ML+ will show its warning loading page and I can then select Video 3. Rearview image is then only viewable. Is this a limitation or something I did wrongly?

I am left with 1 cable with red, white and yellow because I do not have Video 2 input. I also left with a single yellow cable which I have no idea what it is for.
Thank you

Last edited by Paoloveg; 01-07-11 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-07-11, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

07 gs300? there is no such car. if it's gs300 then i think it's 06. 07 are gs350. this is for US spec cars. are you in the US or some other regions?

if it's gs300, then that might be the problem, because you have a gen4 nav. ml+ only work for gen5 at this moment.

maybe you can look at the following page and tell us which looks like your navigation screen display? that can help determine the generation

http://www.vaistech.com/products/sl2i.php
Old 01-07-11, 01:39 PM
Paoloveg
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I'm not from the US region but from Asia.

http://www.vaistech.com/products/sl2i.php
From this page, my screen will look like something on the 2nd last row, above the MD changer, except that it has the DSP button due to Mark Levinson.

I can browse by playlist but I haven't got to browsing by albums.
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-11, 02:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

in that case seems like you do have the gen5 system (that looks like the interface).

what you went through is somewhat similar to mine, mp3 and md emulation didn't work, cd emulation seems to get something but not all. i saw something similar when i tried to install the ml+ on a ls460. do you have backup camera? if so, what happens if you put the car in reverse?

i think you should shoot and email to vaistech as well and see what they say?
Old 01-07-11, 07:53 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get the beep to enter the programming sequence? If not then it may be because you have a Bluetooth phone connected.

If you been through programming but are stuck in the screen, press and hold the scan button. This should put you back to the regular menu.
Old 01-07-11, 07:55 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Ignore what I just wrote. I have no idea how to use ML+ with regular iPod. I do know that if you want the iPod out and Video out function, you need an iOS4 device not an iPod Classic.
Old 01-07-11, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

with ipod classic, he should at least see the vml interface, but should be in mp3 emulation

ios4 i believe (from apple) are iphone4 and latest itouch
Old 01-08-11, 07:48 AM
Paoloveg
Driver School Candidate

In short, I think the CD-emulation works for playing songs on the iPod. I guess old VML functions work ok. One question though. It doesn't allow me to
select songs via the screen once I am driving. Do I need to do the video in motion bypass
for it to work?

The newer functions for ML+ are the problems. Most importantly, i wanted IPod classic to play on screen. It's strange cos the product comparision chart says it will work. http://www.vaistech.com/products/product_comparison.php

Album art doesn't work but I understand that it requires iOS4. I haven't had
a chance to get my hands on one yet.

Back-up camera doesn't switch automatically when reverse is engaged. I have
to use source selection to switch to backup camera.

Pics or Videos soon...

Last edited by Paoloveg; 01-08-11 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-08-11, 10:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

from what i was told, if you have ml+, program to mp3 emulation, and you put in ipod classic without ios4. it will display show up just like vml
Old 01-09-11, 09:24 AM
Paoloveg
Driver School Candidate

Tried my luck to exchange the ipod classic for ipod touch today at the shop. Surprise! It was done and I got an ipod touch.

Positives are that now, everything works. Ipod out for music with album art and ipod video out as well. Negatives are that it cost much more and 64gb can't fit all my videos in. Still can't figure out why the ipod classic video out don't work because ML+ should just read it like a DVD player to a TV screen. Small disappointment since 160gb is much better for video files and cost much less.

I still not quite satisfied though. I am using NTSC for video and there are fine lines running around the screen consistently. Switching to PAL is worse as there are lines AND static noise. Any advise?

I am also left with the back-up camera problem. I have to manually switch sources by pressing the source selection button, then selecting AV3. There is a backup camera button above the source selection button but pressing that does nothing. Is there a way for the camera to turn on automatically when i engage reverse?
Old 04-05-11, 07:46 PM
EleeGS
Driver School Candidate

Default some questions about ML+

I have a 2008 GS 450h with Mark L and Nav. I somehow jumped into the Lexus's playback screen that shows the iPod file and playlists, but I cannot seem to get back to the ML+'s OSD. In addition, when playing music, theLexus player defeats playlist navigation for road safety. Any ideas how to jump back to the ML + control page?. Any reason the ML+ is affected by the nav,s safety measures?
Old 04-06-11, 03:06 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EleeGS
I have a 2008 GS 450h with Mark L and Nav. I somehow jumped into the Lexus's playback screen that shows the iPod file and playlists, but I cannot seem to get back to the ML+'s OSD. In addition, when playing music, theLexus player defeats playlist navigation for road safety. Any ideas how to jump back to the ML + control page?. Any reason the ML+ is affected by the nav,s safety measures?
Press and hold the scan button to get back into the ML+ GUI.

On my car the Lexus motion lock only affects video playback, not ability to navigate the iPod audio out menus. And for video you can override by entering a 4 digit pin.
Old 04-09-11, 10:29 AM
EleeGS
Driver School Candidate

Default Reset.

Thanks. As it turns out, I needed a reset. Lucky I mounted it in the glove!

I now have other bugs, which I posted in the Vaistech Forum.
1. When music resumes after a blutooth call, the button controls BEEP but do not.dunction. I cannot goto song or playlist selection or anything. to fix this, I have to switch sources then switch back to get those on screen ML+ buttons to function again.

2. in cd.emjlation mode, playlist selection, folder and songs buttons.are ghosted out while driving. I am 100% sure that this not done on purpose for safety as my SLvi on my RX and LS do not have these fundamental player controls defeated during driving.
Old 04-09-11, 12:23 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EleeGS
Thanks. As it turns out, I needed a reset. Lucky I mounted it in the glove!

I now have other bugs, which I posted in the Vaistech Forum.
1. When music resumes after a blutooth call, the button controls BEEP but do not.dunction. I cannot goto song or playlist selection or anything. to fix this, I have to switch sources then switch back to get those on screen ML+ buttons to function again.

2. in cd.emjlation mode, playlist selection, folder and songs buttons.are ghosted out while driving. I am 100% sure that this not done on purpose for safety as my SLvi on my RX and LS do not have these fundamental player controls defeated during driving.
Item 2 is not a bug. It is because the ML+ does not have an override function so is subject to whatever motion locks Lexus chooses to apply in CD MP3 emulation mode.

Only way around this is to install a separate override kit from the prestigious society.