Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Do I need to upgrade my alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-11, 06:38 AM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go to Youtube and type in the Big 3 and you will get a very good video on how to do it.

Make sure you buy good wire and good connections. When it come to high end stereos you can go cheap on the hardware; that is just important. What good is the house on the mountain if you don't have a good road to access it? Use Memphis Audio wire; that is the best wire out there and Kicker is just a step down. Both companies still use copper in their wire. 1/0 gauge wire is about the best you can get.

Don't put a bigger pulley on your stock alt...you will burn it up quick. If you have a place near by to get a 200 amp that's awesome. I had to wait 3 weeks for mine to come in.
Old 01-15-11, 12:07 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by jcastaneda
You can go to Youtube and type in the Big 3 and you will get a very good video on how to do it.
Specific to the GS, or generic?

Make sure you buy good wire and good connections. When it come to high end stereos you can go cheap on the hardware; that is just important.
I'm sure you mean you can't go cheap on the hardware, and I agree. That's why I always caution to use quality products.

Use Memphis Audio wire; that is the best wire out there and Kicker is just a step down. Both companies still use copper in their wire. 1/0 gauge wire is about the best you can get.
This is purely your opinion. Wire is wire, provided it is all OFC (not CCA) and intended for car audio use, as the insulation is designed for cars. Unless he used 1/0 originally, that's a huge cost that is not necessary. The overkill is simply not needed. Go with the size you installed for the main line, mang. If you used multiples, be sure to add the sizes up for the upgrade.

Don't put a bigger pulley on your stock alt...you will burn it up quick. If you have a place near by to get a 200 amp that's awesome. I had to wait 3 weeks for mine to come in.
Smaller pulley would run it faster, not bigger. A bigger one would slow it down and be contrary to the purpose. And I agree - being able to walk in and grab one is fantastic.

Big Mack
Old 01-15-11, 01:27 PM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the correction...I meant a smaller pulley.

Looking again at the amps installed here...these are AB amps meaing the pull raw power. The 500.1 pulls 50 amps alone. The beefed up alternator is the way to go. I use to own these amps and they pull a tremendous amount of current and the more you crank it up the more amps it pulls.

The big three on youtube is generic for any car.
Old 01-15-11, 01:41 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thanks for the correction...I meant a smaller pulley.
I know you did, and you're welcome.

Looking again at the amps installed here...these are AB amps meaing the pull raw power. The 500.1 pulls 50 amps alone. The beefed up alternator is the way to go. I use to own these amps and they pull a tremendous amount of current and the more you crank it up the more amps it pulls.
Gotta do the big 3 first. I can't agree to upgrading the alt immediately if relying on the stock wiring and only dimming/fluctuating at idle. If he were dropping it at speed, I'd agree right off, but let's see what the least expensive yet still necessary step does first.

The big three on youtube is generic for any car.
Helpful to a point, but specific app would be mo betta.

Big Mack