Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Do I need to upgrade my alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 01:39 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do I need to upgrade my alternator?

I need some advice.
I have an 02 gs430 with stock navi. I installed a rf3sixty.2 along with all dynaudio speakers, 3 amps. PPI pcx-2200 (200X2rms) for fronts, PPI pcx-280 (80X2rms), and a PPI pcx-2125 for sub (500x1rms). There's also a cap in the car.
My problem is and has been for a few years now. If i listen to my music loud, or turn up the bass and I am stopped at a light, my navi will turn off and the battery light will show up on my dash board. Goes away if I give it a little gas. Also if I use A/C or anything else electrical it will do the same. I have switched the stock battery for one from costco. Does the same thing. My car will always start so it never completely drains the battery.
I know this must be overworking my stock alternator, but it does continue to work. Also would doing the big 3 solve this issue, or do I just need an upgraded alternator. Or possibly a deep cycle battery. (I am looking for the most economical alternative)
I also have a few tv's in the headrests but they are not wired up.....yet.
Thanks in Advance
Old 01-11-11, 03:13 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

If it is only doing it at stoplights, you are overwhelming the stock charging system - but just barely. I would highly recommend going the big three to start, see if it alleviates the problem. Bigger battery won't help. All batteries do is store a charge. If upgrading the wires doesn't do enough to stop it, it's time to upgrade the charging system.

Question, though...why didn't you upgrade the negative cables when you installed the gear? This is a common issue that many who install more electronics in their cars see, so I'm curious why shops aren't really requiring it from the start (if you went to a shop).

Big Mack
Old 01-11-11, 03:17 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Big Mack
If it is only doing it at stoplights, you are overwhelming the stock charging system - but just barely. I would highly recommend going the big three to start, see if it alleviates the problem. Bigger battery won't help. All batteries do is store a charge. If upgrading the wires doesn't do enough to stop it, it's time to upgrade the charging system.

Question, though...why didn't you upgrade the negative cables when you installed the gear? This is a common issue that many who install more electronics in their cars see, so I'm curious why shops aren't really requiring it from the start (if you went to a shop).

Big Mack
Thats what I was thinking. Since it barely does it, I'm hoping the big 3 will solve the issue. I don't want to have to upgrade the alternator if it's not really necessary.
Also I did the install myself. I have thick wiring (i think it was 0 gauge) for the power to the amps and the ground for the amps, but I never upgraded any other wiring on the car. Any recommendation on what gauge wire I should use for the big 3. Also I'm guessing I should just get my own cable instead of buying a grounding kit, right?
Old 01-11-11, 04:28 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by LALEX1
Any recommendation on what gauge wire I should use for the big 3?
Yes. Right here:

I have thick wiring (i think it was 0 gauge) for the power to the amps and the ground for the amps.
Now, about this:

but I never upgraded any other wiring on the car.
Probably should remember to always do that.

Also I'm guessing I should just get my own cable instead of buying a grounding kit, right?
Yes. Don't overpay for someone crimping on the terminals. Just buy the same size wires for each, crimp on some quality connectors, secure them properly, and move forward.

Big Mack
Old 01-11-11, 06:02 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Default ...................

Thanks Big Mack
I'll be picking up some 0 gauge wire and will do the big 3 upgrade. Hopefully this will work and I won't need a new alternator.
Old 01-11-11, 06:22 PM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are running that many watts then I think that the big 3 is a good start but a stock alternator does about 90 amps. The car itself uses roughly 60-70 amps if I am not mistaken. I upgraded my alternator to a 200 amp and also put a 1900 cold cranking battery in the back that runs the stereo system. Make sure you have good grounds to the chassie and that each amp is independently grounded. You should use at least 4 gauge if not bigger. Also make sure you are putting the grounds on bare metal. Make sure you use the same gauge ground and power wire.

Hope it all works out for you!
Old 01-11-11, 08:03 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Can you share on how you did the big 3, i want to take that route also.
Old 01-12-11, 04:30 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like there's something else going on there. I don't think that those 3 amps alone will do this to the electrical system.

Big, what do you think? I know many people who have not done the big 3 with no issues with the stereo/electrical system. Just seems like there's something else causing the problem.

Do you have the amp gains turned up all the way?
Old 01-12-11, 08:09 AM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by veleno
Sounds like there's something else going on there. I don't think that those 3 amps alone will do this to the electrical system.

Big, what do you think? I know many people who have not done the big 3 with no issues with the stereo/electrical system. Just seems like there's something else causing the problem.

The reason I believe its the amps is because when I unplug the power to the amps. Everything works perfectly. In fact I just have to pull the power to the 3sixty and then everything works perfectly. So the amps are actually still on just not being used. It only happens when I start turning up the volume or the bass. If I keep the bass turned all the way down, and keep the music at a moderate level then everything works great, but if I turn on the a/c and stay at idle for a while, then the battery light will eventually come on....until iI give it some gas that is.
I have found a company that sells 200amp alterrnators for 200bux. Doesn't seem bad, but how about if I do the big 3 and put a smaller pulley on my stock alternator? Any suggestions?
Also my gains are all 1/4-1/2 up.

Last edited by LALEX1; 01-12-11 at 08:11 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-14-11, 03:11 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

anybody?????????
Old 01-14-11, 03:39 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by veleno

Veleno,

I do think that the amps can do this since it's only at idle. Assuming he's using 50% of the power and those amps are 80% efficient, he's drawing down about 50A. He said the problem vacates when he's moving, which lends me to believe that it's barely overcoming the alternator that is not spinning as fast. He's done the test I would, which is eliminating the load he thinks is causing the problem, and it's all working well save for another load being presented (A/C).

LA, I would still do the big 3 to start. You don't want to spin the alt any faster on the stock brushes, as it will give you very little gain and will certainly shorten the life it has remaining. I wouldn't buy the other alt just yet. Do the upgrade, check all your connections at that point (positive and negative), and rediagnose. If the problem persists, it may be time to upgrade.

The unfortunate fact is that these cars have a TON of power accessories and not a lot of extra current on tap. Just out of curiosity, where did you find a 200A alt for $200? I just did a sweet (AKA: cheap) upgrade in my DD. It uses the same alt as a truck, and it bolts right in, so I grabbed one for $78 and gave myself an extra 50A.

anybody?????????
Patience, mang! We all have to sleep sometime.

Big Mack
Old 01-14-11, 03:51 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Thanks Again BigMack. I will be doing the big 3 upgrade and I'm ordering some 0 gauge wire asap. I will also look into some good terminals for the wire.
The 200amp alternator is an ebay alternator but the shop is local to me. 2 miles away. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...Q5fAccessories

Not sure how reliable these are but there are plenty of 200amp alternators on ebay for less than 200.00
Old 01-14-11, 05:23 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Thanks Again BigMack. I will be doing the big 3 upgrade and I'm ordering some 0 gauge wire asap. I will also look into some good terminals for the wire.
You can find good terminals on ebay or your local audio shop. They may, if you buy from them, even crimp them on for you if you know the proper lengths since large crimp on connectors can be somewhat difficult to do.

That alternator is for a 400, not a 430. If they have one for a 430, though, seems fair. I'd definitely look there since they are local to you.

Big Mack
Old 01-14-11, 06:30 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Big Mack
You can find good terminals on ebay or your local audio shop. They may, if you buy from them, even crimp them on for you if you know the proper lengths since large crimp on connectors can be somewhat difficult to do.

That alternator is for a 400, not a 430. If they have one for a 430, though, seems fair. I'd definitely look there since they are local to you.

Big Mack
I spoke to them directly. They have one for the 430. Same price. I can pick up anytime. I explained my situation to them and they told me to make sure I asked them for a smaller pulley whenever I decide to order the alternator.
Thats why I was asking in this thread about adding a smaller pulley to the stock alternator.
Anyway I will update once I get my big 3 finished.
Old 01-14-11, 08:39 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Sounds good, mang. I may look into a hi-po alt at a later date, but not needed right now.

Keep us posted on the big 3 - useless without pitchers!!

Big Mack

Quick Reply: Do I need to upgrade my alternator?