JL 10w7

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 07:56 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Referring to an old thread but,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...56k-no-no.html
in post # 20 he asks if you can remove the stock sub and in post #22 the audio guy says he did it a bunch of times in different vehicles and it didnt make much difference. What's all of you takes on this?

BTW i went to the audio shop today, they showed me how to pull the sub enclosure out of the way to adjust the gain, bass eq, and low pass filter. So that is not a problem anymore. They said that the "booming sound" will differ from song to song and that is my major complaint about the sound, sometimes it's way too much.

They said the solution would be a gain input control (which would be connected and put in the cabin of the car so I could adjust without going into the trunk).

BUT I think that will not even be the solution, since i already adjusted my gain to the lowest setting. The bass is still booming like crazy on some songs but it def. made a huge difference for the better.

On another note they told me that my box is wrong and that only JL sub enclosures will work so much better than any custom box built to spec. For some reason the w7 is like this and not other JL models. They told me they made multiple boxes, trying to reproduce the same sound as the JL box and they said nothing could do it. So basically i need to get the JL box for it to work best, but it is way too expensive, but they had a resonable price of $325 (retails about 590)
Old 04-06-11, 09:29 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
On another note they told me that my box is wrong and that only JL sub enclosures will work so much better than any custom box built to spec. For some reason the w7 is like this and not other JL models. They told me they made multiple boxes, trying to reproduce the same sound as the JL box and they said nothing could do it. So basically i need to get the JL box for it to work best, but it is way too expensive, but they had a resonable price of $325 (retails about 590)

RUN!!!! RUN FROM THAT SHOP AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!

That is the biggest load of ish I have ever heard!!!! Only a JL box works best!!!!??? Pure bull!!!!

To prove my point, I had a student one class (I teach enclosure design and custom fabrication) that had a 12w7 in the ported JL enclosure.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_e...u=1&page_id=18

I'm not badmouthing this enclosure at all. It is in fact a very good, nice enclosure. But there are gains to be had. We redesigned the enclosure and ended up with a much larger enclosure. (don't remember the specs offhand, this was about 2 years ago). End result was bass so loud it actually would unlatch his trunk latch of the trunk on his Lincoln LS. Never did this with the JL box and his amplifier was the same for both enclosures.

Your shop seems to filled with a bevy of untrained backyard installers that believe they know the answers to everything audio related. This is the kind of shop that gives our entire industry a bad name.

IMHO a good installer is one that doesn't know everything but will admit that and inquire and research to learn more.
Old 04-06-11, 09:31 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
mkorsu any recommendations for a shop in NJ to get the stock sub removed. I have family in piscataway about 1.25-1.5 hours away from me to give you an idea. Cuz i dont want my leather seats butchered.

Sure do. ME!!!! I live the next town over from Piscataway!!! Middlesex NJ!!!! PM me.
Old 04-06-11, 07:39 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Sure do. ME!!!! I live the next town over from Piscataway!!! Middlesex NJ!!!! PM me.
If you're going to help him, please make sure he knows how to correctly adjust his amp. I have a feeling the reason he's feeling it's too boomy is because the bass EQ is maladjusted horribly.

And good for you for wanting to help a fellow brother out.

Big Mack
Old 04-07-11, 08:32 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Big Mack
If you're going to help him, please make sure he knows how to correctly adjust his amp. I have a feeling the reason he's feeling it's too boomy is because the bass EQ is maladjusted horribly.

And good for you for wanting to help a fellow brother out.

Big Mack
I finely got it right. My bass eq is at 0 lol. It was the gain that was too high and it was distorting, right now the gain is at about 10% and the LP filter is at 85Hz. Seems to be hitting all the notes and it sounds great now and it's bumpin with no distortion.
Old 04-14-11, 01:40 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran mine sealed for years, then went to ported. Never looked back after that. Sadly I had to sell it because my wife and I had a baby and the stroller doesn't go well in a trunk with a 10W7. Search for some of my threads and you'll see my old setup.