Sponsored by:

Redesign sound system in Lexus rx 400h

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-11 | 11:19 PM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Default Redesign sound system in Lexus rx 400h

Hi everyone,

First off, I am a first time poster, and really appreciate all the good info I have found on this topic from related posts on CL.

I recently bought an '08 RX 400h with factory nav/bluetooth and premium sound system (not ML). Love the vehicle, but as many posters on this forum know, the sound system in this vehicle is flat, crappy and plainly put – it sounds TERRIBLE. I wouldn't classify myself as an audiophile, but I am admittedly obsessed with having the best quality sound possible when listening to tunes (home, car headphones, wherever).

My goal for this vehicle is to add a moderate amount of power, a clean bass and crystal clear sound, while not going completely over the top. Additionally, I want to incorporate ipod integration into whichever solution I choose since the vehicle in its current state somehow doesn't have this functionality. I have a few decisions to make and would really welcome the input. Here is my plan:

#1 Do something about the sound system - Replace factory head or Add an equalizer to factory unit?

If I go with the head replacement (plan A), I was planning to install the Alpine INA-W900bt using a new kit from Beat-Sonic, the RX-82 model. After speaking with Beat-Sonic (which I found thanks to CL), they recommended this kit over the MVA-89 kit due to some known compatibility issues with my vehicle.

From what I've read, the INA-W900bt is a REALLY nice unit in terms of sound, ipod integration, and its user interface.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fVb5qwO...NA-W900BT.html

Unfortunately,I couldn't find anyone on this forum (at least after doing a few searches) who has installed this unit in their vehicle. The big unknown with making this move is whether or not I'll be able to integrate the buttons on the steering wheel (i.e. volume, track change, bluetooth, etc.) and break any of the other built-in functions? Has anyone tried this?

Alternatively, I was just reading about the Alpine PXE H660 (plan B), which supposedly has gotten really good reviews - far better than its predecessory the H650.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pxe-h660/

This would be a more economical option. However, the sound will still be going through the original factory stereo and I will need to add some sort of ipod integration kit (isimple gateway, vais, dice, etc.) if I go this route.

Would it be reasonable to expect a better sound adding the PXE H660 to the factory radio instead of replacing it with the IN-W900bt? The advantage could also be not having to re-integrate the steering wheel buttons.

# 2 Add Sub
I chose 1 Alpine SWR-1243D sub.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rEW9H2m...SWR-1242D.html

# 3 Add speakers
I chose 2 pairs of Image Dynamics TCX65cs for the front and back seats. I haven't gotten these yet, but they were highly recommended. Has anyone listened to this particular model before?
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/prod...1&Product_Id=7

# 4 Add Amp
Originally, I bought the Alpine MRP M1000 (got a sweet deal on it), but after reseraching further, I think that is overkill for 1 R12 sub. Instead, I was thinking of going with the more moderate Alpine MRP M500.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRPM...lpine+mrp-m500

To pair the speakers, I was thinking of going with the Alpine PDX-F6, which isn't cheap but have heard it is a really good amp.

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_500PDXF...F6.html?tp=115

Alternatively, it was suggested I consider the Alpine PDX-5, which I could use to power both the sub and speakers. This would save and space and $, but what I may be losing sound quality and some power.

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_500PDX5...-5.html?tp=115

Any suggestions from those with experience in this area are welcome.
Old 01-18-11 | 03:52 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

Change the speakers, add the amps and use the some sort of processor (Alpine, MS-8) and go from there. It's true that changing to a better HU will yield better sound but that's all dependent on what gear you're running. It's likely that changing everything else besides the HU will satisfy your sound needs, but if it doesn't at least you can identify what's lacking and either change/upgrade it. If you want to just try the MS-8 by itself, you can get it for about $500, add it to your current system, and if it's good enough then you only spent that much. If not, then you can start to add the other pieces.
Old 01-18-11 | 10:42 PM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by veleno
Change the speakers, add the amps and use the some sort of processor (Alpine, MS-8) and go from there. It's true that changing to a better HU will yield better sound but that's all dependent on what gear you're running. It's likely that changing everything else besides the HU will satisfy your sound needs, but if it doesn't at least you can identify what's lacking and either change/upgrade it. If you want to just try the MS-8 by itself, you can get it for about $500, add it to your current system, and if it's good enough then you only spent that much. If not, then you can start to add the other pieces.
Thanks for the practical advice, veleno. Really appreciate the response. Regarding the MS-8, any idea how this compares to the Alpine PXE H66? I watched JBL's video on the MS-8 which was helpful, but would definitely need to research further (wish it was easy to demo).

On the other hand, what do you guys think is the downside to replacing the HU? Since everything goes through this unit, it feels like the logical place to start. Additionally, I want to add ipod integration (with a really good UI) ASAP and don't want to burn $$ on an ipod add-on product (i.e. VAIS, Dice, isimple, etc.) that I wouldn't need should I decide to install a new HU after the fact.

Update: Since initially posting this (above) response, I found this active thread on VAIS' new ipod integration model, the ML+ which looks to have a pretty good UI.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...sl2i-user.html

If I coupled the ML+ with a sound processor, Veleno's recommendation of leaving out the HU replacement deserves stronger consideration in my mind. I would get a better (but not the best) sound and to navigate my ipod through the factory screen pretty efficiently (at least according to the above thread) and retain all of the factory controls (i.e. steering wheel buttons, sound on factory nav, etc.).

On the other hand, the cost of the ML+ and something like the MS-8, is roughly the same as the INA-W900bt and Beat Sonic install kit. If I did replace the HU with the INA-W900bt and added a more inexpensive sound processor, such as the Alpine PXA-H100, I would likely end up with better sound and have a superior ipod UI (sorry VAIS).

Those that have added an aftermarket HU, in particular those with the 2nd gen RX vehicles, what has the downside has been in your experience? It looks like there are tradeoffs with either approach and it is getting to be an increasingly difficult decision.

Last edited by chitownduc; 01-19-11 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added Update after learning about the ML+
Old 01-19-11 | 10:51 AM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

added update after viewing ML+ thread (see above)
Old 01-20-11 | 05:31 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

I can only think of a couple downsides to adding an aftermarket HU.

1. Loss of steering wheel controls
2. Non flowing look of HU
3. Extra wiring
4. Loss of OEM navigation (you may get this back with an aftermarket HU but not all are all in one, some need extra pieces)

However, there are some HU's that I've heard of that have modules that allow you to keep your steering wheel controls functional with the new HU, I'm just not sure which specific models those are and/or work with.

I just saw a BNIB MS-8 selling for $500. I'm not sure what price you were looking at for it but that's about as cheap as you're going to find BNIB. I have seen some sell for a little less (maybe $450) but still in great condition. Again, if you find that the MS-8 is not working for you you can sell it for almost what you got it for (considering you purchased it at my prices above), then you can go the other route. In the end you at least tried almost all possible options and found which works best to you, which is what it's about.
Old 01-21-11 | 03:33 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

If you are serious about sound and i see that you are, think of insulating the car, since more power increases unwanted chassis noises. I have the ML (plus aftermarket sub) and at medium volume, rattles happen, you won't enjoy the car as much. So add insulation on the bill.
Old 01-21-11 | 06:02 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

since you also want sound quality, have you thought of adding seperates up front instead of just speakers?
Old 01-22-11 | 12:04 AM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blueshark
If you are serious about sound and i see that you are, think of insulating the car, since more power increases unwanted chassis noises. I have the ML (plus aftermarket sub) and at medium volume, rattles happen, you won't enjoy the car as much. So add insulation on the bill.
Would something like this do the trick?

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_...bulk_paks.html

Any idea how difficult/timely this stuff (or similar) should be to install?
Old 01-22-11 | 12:09 AM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sffd103
since you also want sound quality, have you thought of adding seperates up front instead of just speakers?
I was originally planning to go with components in the front and back - Image Dynamics CTX 65cs

However, I recently demo'd the Focal 165 V30 components and I thought they were sweet. I believe I'm gonna go with these instead - just trying to find the right price. I read that Pacificstereo.com had a great deal on them over the holidays, but I missed out.
Old 01-22-11 | 12:25 AM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by veleno
I can only think of a couple downsides to adding an aftermarket HU.

1. Loss of steering wheel controls
2. Non flowing look of HU
3. Extra wiring
4. Loss of OEM navigation (you may get this back with an aftermarket HU but not all are all in one, some need extra pieces)

However, there are some HU's that I've heard of that have modules that allow you to keep your steering wheel controls functional with the new HU, I'm just not sure which specific models those are and/or work with.

I just saw a BNIB MS-8 selling for $500. I'm not sure what price you were looking at for it but that's about as cheap as you're going to find BNIB. I have seen some sell for a little less (maybe $450) but still in great condition. Again, if you find that the MS-8 is not working for you you can sell it for almost what you got it for (considering you purchased it at my prices above), then you can go the other route. In the end you at least tried almost all possible options and found which works best to you, which is what it's about.
I've been reading up on the MS-8 and I think I'm gonna take your advice on this one. I think this is the right sound processor for me. Any idea the best place to mount the display screen? I'd like to hide it if possible?
Old 01-22-11 | 12:44 AM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Arrow

You guys have all been super helpful with your suggestions and thoughts.

Here's the current plan:

Phase I
sound processor - JBL MS-8
1 12" sub-JL Audio 12W3v3-4 - demo'd it the other day. Liked better than the Alp R12's
mono amp - Alpine MRP-M500? - Is there a better amp out there to pair with 12W3v3-4 at this price point or slightly higher?
Q: What would you recommend for pairing with 12W3v3 which has optimal continuous RMS at 300W?
component speakers (2 pairs for front and backseat) - Focal 165 V30
4 channel amp - Alpine PDX F4 - wanted the F6 but the budget is maxed.

Phase II - alternative # 1
ipod integration - add Vaistech ML Plus to existing factory stereo
insulation (sound deadening) - dynamat extreme bulk pack(?)

Phase II - alternative # 2
stereo install kit - Beat Sonic RX-82
ipod integration - replace stereo most likely with Alpine INA 900/910bt
steering wheel integration - PAC Audio SWIJACK

Last edited by chitownduc; 01-22-11 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-26-11 | 01:28 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

I have an 06 RXh and replaced my ML system with the following:

Alpine W505 w/ jdm double din bracket (Toyota)
Blackbird BT/Navi
Steering wheel controls
Alpine PDX-5 controlling the speakers
Alpine Type-S Coaxials that replaced all stock door speakers
Infinity Basslink I powered sub (200w)

*and a ton of Dynamat

I'm currently researching another upgrade:
Replace front coaxials with Alpine Type-R 6 1/2" components
Replace Infinity Basslink powered sub with Alpine or Image Dynamics amp + sub
Old 01-29-11 | 08:08 PM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tod071
I have an 06 RXh and replaced my ML system with the following:

Alpine W505 w/ jdm double din bracket (Toyota)
Blackbird BT/Navi
Steering wheel controls
Alpine PDX-5 controlling the speakers
Alpine Type-S Coaxials that replaced all stock door speakers
Infinity Basslink I powered sub (200w)

*and a ton of Dynamat

I'm currently researching another upgrade:
Replace front coaxials with Alpine Type-R 6 1/2" components
Replace Infinity Basslink powered sub with Alpine or Image Dynamics amp + sub
Nice work. How does it sound? How were you able to successfully integrate the alpine w505 with all steering wheel controls? I have heard from a few folks that not all the buttons will integrate (e.g. bluetooth buttons) with most alpine head units.
Old 01-30-11 | 09:46 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chitownduc
Nice work. How does it sound? How were you able to successfully integrate the alpine w505 with all steering wheel controls? I have heard from a few folks that not all the buttons will integrate (e.g. bluetooth buttons) with most alpine head units.
Yes the steering wheel unit was optional, but it works. My 06 only has volume up/down, and track up/down, and they both work flawlessly.
Old 01-31-11 | 01:06 AM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Hey all - This weekend, I wanted to share with you progress (and unexpected findings) I made with my project.

The plan was to keep the original head unit and connect it (via adapter) directly into the aftermarket equipment. However, we found during the install that the factory amp is required to be integrated in order for the head unit to work properly. What we found is that the basic audio controls (i.e. volume, fade, balance, treble, bass, etc.) cannot be modified in the oem head unit without the oem amp.

Conclusion: keeping the oem HU and bipassing the oem amp is not an option.

This leaves my system in a hold state until next weekend, most likely, when we'll rewire and tune. The revised plan is to rewire from the oem amp resulting in the the data transfer flow looking something like this:

oem stereo -> oem amp -> isimple audio conversion adapter -> alpine pdx f4 amp -> focal 165 v30 component speakers
oem stereo -> oem amp -> isimple audio conversion adapter -> alpine pdx m6 amp -> JL 12W 3v3 sub

Even if I were to add the JBL MS-8 sound processor to the mix, I would still not be able to bypass the oem amp which I believe will degradate the final sound. This was not anticipated.

Q: Considering I was opting to keep the oem dash look and full system functionality (e.g. integrated steering wheel buttons), is it reasonable to think that the ms-8 can still output a superior sound opposed to adding a quality (sound) aftermarket head unit?

I've got a couple days to rethink and refine my strategy.

Suggestions and shared experiences are welcome.

Quick Reply: Redesign sound system in Lexus rx 400h