Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Valentine 1 Hardwire question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-06, 08:27 AM
cartechpr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will hinder detection and the tint on the windshield will hinder it too.
Old 04-03-06, 03:17 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Attention!

I know this is an old thread buttttt if anyone decides to take a look here....here goes:

Mounting your radar detectors up high will hinder the performance all together. www.radarbusters.com has a few videos and writeups on why this is true. If your radar detector also warns for laser, mounting it up high could make it totally miss a cop using laser all together.

A laser gun at 1/4mile i believe only has a 36" wide beam and if he is shooting it at your low mounted licence plate it could possibly not even hit your mirror area.

I have all of my detectors mounted as low as possible on the windshield. The LX i have in the center just above the wipers. On the LS it is centered and basicly resting itself on the dash due to the wipers resting below the hood line. And on the porsche i have it centered and as low as possible on the window, actually BELOW my wiper arm.

Mounting them in those locationsis all about me attempting to try and recieve laser and radar that is being pointed at the front of my car(s) and not the TOP of my car(s). I have pictures below of the various locations.

I recommend you lower your radar, at least if it picks laser up too to attempt to pick up police speed enforcement equipment better. I have never been cought when ive had my detectors mounted in these locations.

LX470

LS430

Porsche
Old 04-03-06, 08:07 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
I know this is an old thread buttttt if anyone decides to take a look here....here goes:

Mounting your radar detectors up high will hinder the performance all together. www.radarbusters.com has a few videos and writeups on why this is true. If your radar detector also warns for laser, mounting it up high could make it totally miss a cop using laser all together.

A laser gun at 1/4mile i believe only has a 36" wide beam and if he is shooting it at your low mounted licence plate it could possibly not even hit your mirror area.

I have all of my detectors mounted as low as possible on the windshield. The LX i have in the center just above the wipers. On the LS it is centered and basicly resting itself on the dash due to the wipers resting below the hood line. And on the porsche i have it centered and as low as possible on the window, actually BELOW my wiper arm.

Mounting them in those locationsis all about me attempting to try and recieve laser and radar that is being pointed at the front of my car(s) and not the TOP of my car(s). I have pictures below of the various locations.

I recommend you lower your radar, at least if it picks laser up too to attempt to pick up police speed enforcement equipment better. I have never been cought when ive had my detectors mounted in these locations.

LX470

LS430

Porsche
The reason that the V1's have to be mounted high is because it has a rear facing detector. With yours, It's ok to leave it at the bottom because there is no need to have a clear view of the rear. With the V1, it needs to be able to see whats coming behind to be able to give an accurate reading.

Where I have it mounted has no adverse affect on the Laser detection capabilities, as I have been pinged more than once by Smokeys, and had an FHP Trooper friend of mind send test laser shots at my car. I recieved notification every time.
Old 04-03-06, 04:55 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Stage, IMO, I think that's a pretty dangerous location to mount the detector! Imagine getting into an accident and having your face meet the detector! If someone rear ends you going 40MPH, the detector will probably get thrown at your face so fast you probably won't know what hit you.

I mount mine just 1/4 inch below the rearview mirror directly in the center. This way, the rear radar gets a clear view of the rear window.
Old 04-03-06, 11:20 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

the mounting location on all three of my cars doesnt affect my rear protection as my radar is 360 degree proteciton also...ive had a friend, an officer in my town test it with me. They used both LADAR and RADAR. I guess mounting up top doesnt affect yours.
Old 04-04-06, 09:05 AM
indigo4298
Driver School Candidate

High or low, once it detects the laser, its to late. He already has a reading on you. Mounting it higher is better because it gives it a broader view of what is all around you and does not get interferance from the sun reflecting off of your hood. Read about it on Valentines homepage.
Old 04-04-06, 11:30 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

i swirve when it goes off for laser just incase i cought it b4 he got a reading, because then he has to aim agian and ill already have been on the brakes for a few seconds when he finally gets my speed
Old 04-14-08, 05:05 PM
SUPRAboy80
Pole Position

anyone do this yet? who actually took pics?