Sponsored by:

Valentine 1 Hardwire question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-02, 10:01 PM
NitroShredder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valentine 1 Hardwire question

Today I removed the hard wiring kit from my BMW to prepare it to install in my forthcoming GS430 =). I didn't manage to remove the wire harness connector. Is it something that can be removed or do I need to get another one from V1 (or Radio Shack?). It's the blue thing that clamps down on the switched wire that everything else then attaches to.

Thanks.

Pete

PS: Meanwhile, I'll use the V1 with the cig lighter adapter until I trade in the bimmer and get me the GS. =)
Old 08-17-02, 11:19 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember a hardwire kit, I just t-tapped my V1 off the cd changer power wire behind the center console (since I'm not using the changer). You should be able to tap power off any live wire with any vampire tap.
Old 08-18-02, 05:51 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Valentine 1 Hardwire question

Originally posted by NitroShredder
Today I removed the hard wiring kit from my BMW to prepare it to install in my forthcoming GS430 =). I didn't manage to remove the wire harness connector. Is it something that can be removed or do I need to get another one from V1 (or Radio Shack?). It's the blue thing that clamps down on the switched wire that everything else then attaches to.
NS, I think its a one-tikme clamp down connection. I bet oyu could find another one at the places you mentioned. Please post where you find a replacement; I'm sure it would prove helpful to others. Oh yeah, and congrats on your upcomming 430!

This is to what you are referring?

More pics HERE
Attached Thumbnails Valentine 1 Hardwire question-forweb107-0763_img.jpg  
Old 08-18-02, 06:02 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hard wire my radar detector off the Power outlet fuse by the left side kick panel. Because that fuse only power the Power outlet only.
You can find the connector at Home Depot or Lowe's at electrical section. If you need any help please PM me.
Old 08-18-02, 02:46 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hardwiring V1

Nitro - do a search on "hardwiring" and you'll find 2 threads - both have pictures included. I used the mirror power since it's switched - V1 comes on when I start up and turns off when I shut down. It's also a short wire from the homelink panel to a high mounted V1 - where it needs to be. Try the search, you'll find everything you need.
Old 04-04-03, 07:07 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Valentine 1 Hardwire question

I found the search info I turned up on the V1 hardwire DYI to be quite confusing (At the least).

Most, if not all, the +12V wires leading to the homelink / sunroof / map lights are not switched power. With the assistance of a friend at a local stereo installation shop, I hardwired my V1 to the rear-view mirror wiring harness which has a ground and switched 12V power that is best to tap the V1 hardwire kit into .

Installation:

Tools required:
1. V1 hardwire kit (power line w/ crimped shielded male connector, ground wire w/crimped "horseshoe" connector, female wire tap).
2. small phillips head screwdriver
3. small flat head screwdriver
4. purchase additional female wire tap
5. purchase additional shielded male connector (will be used to connect to additional female wire tap)
6. pliers
7. wire crimper / stripper

A. Carefully remove clear lens covering map lights using flat head screwdriver
B. Carefully remove homelink cover using flat head screwdriver
C. Remove two phillips head screws in map light area
D. Remove two phillips head screws in homelink area
E. Drop maplight / sunroof / homelink assembly down to expose rear-view mirror wiring harness (located running parallel to windshield near the top of windshield / roof interface)
F. Connect female wire tap supplied in V1 hardwire kit to 12V switched power wire on rear-view mirror wiring harness (use pliers to connect if necessary).
G. Connect additional female wire tap to ground wire on rear-view mirror wiring harness (use pliers to connect if necessary).
H. Remove crimped "horseshoe" connector from end of V1 hardwire kit ground wire.
I. Crimp additional shielded male connector to end of V1 hardwire kit ground wire.
J. Plug power wire of V1 hardware kit into 12V switched power wire of rear-view mirror wiring harness.
K. Plug ground wire of V1 hardwire kit into ground wire of rear-view mirror wiring harness.
L. Route V1 detector "telephone cord" wire through gap at the edge of headliner and windshield area to V1 detector.

Last edited by tomtnc; 04-04-03 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-04-03, 07:24 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Great post Tom! Any pictures?
Old 04-04-03, 07:31 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Great post Tom! Any pictures?
Unfotunately I forgot the camera when we did this yesterday.

I'll remove the map / sunroof / homelink assembly and get some pictures of the exact wires to tap this weekend; maybe someone can host this as a "detailed" DIY on their website.
Old 04-04-03, 07:47 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I'll put it up, or we'll put it in an article on CL.
Old 05-04-03, 08:27 AM
LeXGs43Rx3
Driver

Right now I have my V1 hardwired to the homelink system (red wire to red wire) and the black wire with the U is grounded to a screw. It works fine, apart from the fact that I need to manually turn the V1 on and off. I have tried all four wires coming out of the rearview mirror, but none seem to work for me, can anyone help me out with this? Any tips or anything on what I'm doing wrong?
Old 05-04-03, 08:55 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Default interesting

I'm definitely gonna try this soon... I love the way my whole dash assembly looks with the wood grain kit i added a few months ago, but alas, i have my valentine run off the cigarette lighter, so the ashtray must stay open and make the interior look kinda yeccchhh with an open panel and a big wire....

Can i ask, you guys mount your V1s high, which is good, but do you also put them slightly below the rear view mirror so the rearward sensor can detect, plus you can view its read-out?
Old 05-18-04, 09:08 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Reuse Direct-Wire Tap

The V1 Direct-Wire Tap IS reusable.
Just use care in removing it; the metal will come out of the plastic if not held in place.

Last edited by jonathancl; 06-21-04 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-18-04, 09:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Re: interesting

Originally posted by SC400-V8
Can i ask, you guys mount your V1s high, which is good, but do you also put them slightly below the rear view mirror so the rearward sensor can detect, plus you can view its read-out?
Yes to both questions. The rear sensor on mine (althought it doesn't look like it from the pic) has a clear view of the rear.

One of these days I'll paint the cord tan to match the mirror.

Edit oops, this is answering a question a year old

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-18-04 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 08:15 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I have my V1 at the EXACT location as DaveGS4. I just have the clumsy coiled cigarette wire running up the radio/HVAC controls. I'll hardwire it this spring when I have time.

I thought about having the V1 above the rearview mirror, but I'm afraid that'll hurt rear detection.

Dave seems to be dead on center on the windshield. I have mine a little closer to the driver's side (an inch or so). My arms aren't that long. hehe.
Old 06-13-04, 10:07 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Dave,

Is there a reason why you prefer it to be right below the rear view mirror? Have you tried having it above the rear view mirror? Do you think mounting it above the rear view mirror would hinder rear detection?

Quick Reply: Valentine 1 Hardwire question