Sponsored by:

Viper 5901 on gs

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 07:19 PM
vnguyen850
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper 5901 on gs

I've searched, guess I didn't search good enough so I'm posting here. I'm in the process of trying to gather everything I need for the install on the viper 5901 unit.

I have 3 cars I need it installed on. 98 GS300,02 GS300, 04 GS430. I have the (3)viper 5901 Alarm module, what else is needed for this install to make it all work (remote start, door lock/unlock, trunk release)?

From what I understand, I needed the dei xk01 and supposedly you can hardwire so you won't need a bypass module for remote start?

And another source said I will need both the dei xk01 and the pkall.

Now I'm confused, any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-16-11, 06:45 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take them to a shop and have a certified installer do the work.

As an installer myself I have seen TOO many cars come in because a DIYer wired it incorrectly and either blew the door lock switch, can't get the remote start to program, popped the RF key ring, etc.

Save yourself time and money and send them out to get done.
Old 02-16-11, 08:41 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree^^^... remote starters aren't the best DIY as even in a shop they are one of the more difficult items to install. You could have a defective bypass module or starter unit and spend all day trying to figure it out even with the right wiring diagram. Nice unit(s) by the way I have the same unit in 2 of my vechicles its nice to have one LCD remote to control both vechicles sucks that you have 3 vechicles and 1 remote wont control all 3.
Old 02-16-11, 08:57 AM
vnguyen850
Driver

I intended to get it installled by an installer but I want to buy the stuff before i take it to them. the modules you can buy them on ebay for a fraction of what the installers resale them. get my drift?
Old 02-16-11, 04:27 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Very true. There is alot of mark up on bypasses... about $30-50. Easy way to check is to go on the module website (I went to http://www.idatalink.com/search/index/model/313 ) and look up each vechicle (which I did and they require the same module which ever one you pick) and it will tell you what module you'll need. Also, there is a: WARNING: Toyota 80 bit encryption standard key
TB-TL will NOT support 80 bit standard key.
TB-TL WILL support 40 bit keys

The letter “G” stamped on the metal part of the key indicates an “80 bits” encryption transponder key, if you find a G stamped on the key blade you will be required to install using the TB-TL2 firmware which uses the vehicle IMI/IMO wires.

If there is a dot or “O” stamped on the metal part of the key it indicates a regular “40 bits” encryption transponder key and you can use the TB-TL firmware.

On the site I went to. Looks like the module your talking about is from expresskits.
Old 02-16-11, 05:29 PM
vnguyen850
Driver

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Very true. There is alot of mark up on bypasses... about $30-50. Easy way to check is to go on the module website (I went to http://www.idatalink.com/search/index/model/313 ) and look up each vechicle (which I did and they require the same module which ever one you pick) and it will tell you what module you'll need. Also, there is a: WARNING: Toyota 80 bit encryption standard key
TB-TL will NOT support 80 bit standard key.
TB-TL WILL support 40 bit keys

The letter “G” stamped on the metal part of the key indicates an “80 bits” encryption transponder key, if you find a G stamped on the key blade you will be required to install using the TB-TL2 firmware which uses the vehicle IMI/IMO wires.

If there is a dot or “O” stamped on the metal part of the key it indicates a regular “40 bits” encryption transponder key and you can use the TB-TL firmware.

On the site I went to. Looks like the module your talking about is from expresskits.
so you think I should use this module instead of the one from xpresskit?
Old 02-16-11, 05:39 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Up to you... not really sure what your installer would perfer... i have used both types from both companies and had a bit of an issue getting the expresskits to work(eventually did and has been working great for 2 years now). Had an easier time with the idatalink modules. Once again depends on the shop have you contacted them? If so, if you explain your position sometimes they are willing to work with you aka give you a break on price. The place I worked at would, we also offered a lifetime guarantee for the work done and for customer loyalty and ease of install, but everywhere is different.
Old 02-16-11, 05:47 PM
vnguyen850
Driver

Up to you... not really sure what your installer would perfer... i have used both types from both companies and had a bit of an issue getting the expresskits to work(eventually did and has been working great for 2 years now). Had an easier time with the idatalink modules. Once again depends on the shop have you contacted them? If so, if you explain your position sometimes they are willing to work with you aka give you a break on price. The place I worked at would, we also offered a lifetime guarantee for the work done and for customer loyalty and ease of install, but everywhere is different.
the shop I contacted for the work they charge 79.99 for the module, i see them (xpresskit xk01) on ebay for 33.00 shipped. that shopped (which is a viper authorized retailer) said that's what I would need. I pretty much just want to make this a one stop get it done that's why I'm trying to research. Looks like with the xpresskit it controls door locks so you won't have to go into every door and also has trunk release. but that's where i'm confused, will it run remote start. I've spoken to another installer and said it could be hardwired??? so when you get a bunch of different answers that's where you get confused. and I am confused.

all in all i think I will be ordering the xpresskit xk01, let's see if i will or what I will need for the remote start part of it. the seller on ebay is willing to flash the module with the correct firmware. I hope this will go with ease.
Old 02-16-11, 07:17 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vnguyen850
the shop I contacted for the work they charge 79.99 for the module, i see them (xpresskit xk01) on ebay for 33.00 shipped. that shopped (which is a viper authorized retailer) said that's what I would need. I pretty much just want to make this a one stop get it done that's why I'm trying to research. Looks like with the xpresskit it controls door locks so you won't have to go into every door and also has trunk release. but that's where i'm confused, will it run remote start. I've spoken to another installer and said it could be hardwired??? so when you get a bunch of different answers that's where you get confused. and I am confused.

all in all i think I will be ordering the xpresskit xk01, let's see if i will or what I will need for the remote start part of it. the seller on ebay is willing to flash the module with the correct firmware. I hope this will go with ease.
A little confused now... You have 3 viper 5901 a remote starter and alarm combo... but you only want to hook up the alarm part?
Old 02-16-11, 08:55 PM
vnguyen850
Driver

A little confused now... You have 3 viper 5901 a remote starter and alarm combo... but you only want to hook up the alarm part?
lol, no. what I'm trying to do is get whatever is needed to make a viper 5901 work on a 98, and 02 gs300, and also on a 04 gs430. Those are my person cars, I have 3 viper 5901 and I want them installed with every option the viper has.
Old 02-17-11, 05:19 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Just be careful of one thing. While I personally don't see any problem with buying items on ebay, if there is a defective piece you may run into warranty issues. For this reason, any personal work I do I purchase material through my shop. They are authorized Autopage and Idatalink dealers so I have the ability to warranty a brain that goes bad 24 months after the install. With an ebay piece you probably wont have that luxury.

That being said, these are your personal cars so there is no worry of customers coming back to you, but it may be something you might want to consider. Either way good luck!

As far as modules go I prefer the idatalink ones. I find them easier to use and program. Plus they can be connected to Autopage units data2data!!! Xpresskit is Directed Electronics brand (ie Viper) so they do interface well with DEI units.

If you go Idatalink then the ADS-TB module can be used for all 3 cars. This is an immobilizer bypass only. the 40/80 bit item refers to the firmware on the PC that is flashing the module.

The TBXKEY from xpresskit will work just fine for all three but you will need to bury a key in each of those vehicles. The Idatalink is a programmable unit that learns the RF signal.

If you don't want to lose a key on each vehicle then you would need to go with the xpresskit PKALL.

Last edited by mkorsu; 02-17-11 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-17-11, 01:03 PM
vnguyen850
Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Just be careful of one thing. While I personally don't see any problem with buying items on ebay, if there is a defective piece you may run into warranty issues. For this reason, any personal work I do I purchase material through my shop. They are authorized Autopage and Idatalink dealers so I have the ability to warranty a brain that goes bad 24 months after the install. With an ebay piece you probably wont have that luxury.

That being said, these are your personal cars so there is no worry of customers coming back to you, but it may be something you might want to consider. Either way good luck!

As far as modules go I prefer the idatalink ones. I find them easier to use and program. Plus they can be connected to Autopage units data2data!!! Xpresskit is Directed Electronics brand (ie Viper) so they do interface well with DEI units.

If you go Idatalink then the ADS-TB module can be used for all 3 cars. This is an immobilizer bypass only. the 40/80 bit item refers to the firmware on the PC that is flashing the module.

The TBXKEY from xpresskit will work just fine for all three but you will need to bury a key in each of those vehicles. The Idatalink is a programmable unit that learns the RF signal.

If you don't want to lose a key on each vehicle then you would need to go with the xpresskit PKALL.

Thank you for your input. I spoke with the install shop again today and he looked into his "what is needed" for that vehicle and he insist that it only calls for the 5901 and the xk01. He said that the remote start can be installed by hardwire. We will find out if there are more charges come Tuesday when he does the initial install for this. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 02-17-11, 02:00 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by vnguyen850
Thank you for your input. I spoke with the install shop again today and he looked into his "what is needed" for that vehicle and he insist that it only calls for the 5901 and the xk01. He said that the remote start can be installed by hardwire. We will find out if there are more charges come Tuesday when he does the initial install for this. I will keep you guys posted.
I'm unsure what your installer means by "hardwired", but good luck. If he tries to bait and switch by saying that he found that "extra" parts and labor are required part of the way through the install have him take out what he did and find another shop.
Old 02-17-11, 08:24 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

You do realize you can go directly to the DEI site and build the system and it will tell you what you need, right? (I am being facetious, but the tool is on there.

Your installer is incorrect. You will need a bypass module for each car, as your keys all have transponders in them. This is the only way around it. The modules should be around $50 from a reputable dealer, but if you're buying 3 and having them do the install, ask for a break. You may very well be able to get them for $40-45, which is pretty good for an authorized sale.

I'm going with Korsu on this - I would be very cautious from what you've said about the installer. These cars, while challenging, shouldn't cause confusion for a qualified and experienced tech. I would ask around a bit and see if there is someone who is more confident and competent in his or her abilities.

Big Mack
Old 02-17-11, 09:39 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Agreed "Hardwire" is a term alot of people use to confuse people who aren't 100% update on their knowledge with remote starters... although what the installer could be trying to tell you is that there is a data module that may do the features for you or modules that require hardwire - to the door locks and trunk etc.

Quick Reply: Viper 5901 on gs