Sponsored by:

PICS: Final touches to system

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-02, 08:48 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PICS: Final simple touches to system

Hey guys, well I finally got off my lazy butt and finished the touch-up part of my system. The touch-up included new PG Battery clamps in a "black chrome", a PG circuit breaker, and a fuse holder.
BTW: If you haven't seen my system yet, click on the link in my sig and scroll through the pics.. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails PICS: Final touches to system-ken-s-audio-017.jpg  

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 08-21-02 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-21-02, 08:51 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

PG Circuit breaker and fuse holder
Attached Thumbnails PICS: Final touches to system-ken-s-audio-018.jpg  
Old 08-22-02, 12:33 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very cool but u have TEIN right? how do u adjust stiffness with that cover?
Old 08-22-02, 11:30 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb Suggestion

LX - Nice install!! Here's a possible trouble-preventing idea for ya. I had a 150 amp Phoenix Gold circuit breaker on my S-10 & although they R generally trouble free, I had mine freeze up ( in the closed position, no less!!:eek: ) after about a year of being under the hood. Fortunately the downstream fuse system did it's job & I suffered no major damage but i'd suggest that u trip the breaker every few months of so to make sure that it doesn't do the same thing to you. I'd hate to see a sweet sytem like yours suffer a meltdown!!:eek:
Old 08-22-02, 12:15 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexusRules
very cool but u have TEIN right? how do u adjust stiffness with that cover?
haha...I just take the covers off. No big deal. I like them covered so no dust or water gets into the coilover. I was told by the installer that if dust and water get into the dampening screw it can build up and make it difficult to turn when trying to adjust. I just want to be safe...

Gene: Thanks for the heads up. Man, I didn't even think of that. I'm glad nothing serious happened to your old system. I probably will trip the breaker every 2 months or so... Thanks again.

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 08-22-02 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-22-02, 12:28 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. I also had a circuit breaker get stuck on my first install. They are convenient, but regular fuses tend to be more reliable. You probably wont have any problems, but hopefully everything has built in fuses just in case.
Old 08-22-02, 03:31 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mean Gene:
I have the same breaker as well. What do you do about the charge on the cap (if you have a stiffening cap) when you trip the breaker? Do you just do it quickly, within a few seconds, to avoid the current from hell when you re-engage???
Old 08-22-02, 04:51 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Not a Problem!

Eng - The capacitor just stores energy ( in farads ) for use by the amp. It won't hurt anything to trip the breaker as long as the system's not powered up ( especially if the cap's already charged ). The breaker/fuse setup on the power wire is a safety measure to guard against electrical problems downstream of the battery ( like an amp grounding out ). The breaker will be overloaded beyond it's amperage rating & will trip. The cap's just along for the ride. However, I'd exercise caution when charging a discharged cap back up to full power. I've seen more than one explode when suddenly hit with a full 14 VDC. Most cap companies include a resistor with their caps to slowly charge the cap up ( takes less than a minute generally ). U can also do the same thing by using a battery charger with an adjustable output feature. Just hook up the cap & slowly increase the voltage/charge coming from the charger. Just periodically trip the breaker with the system off & verify that it trips & resets so that if U DO need it, it'll function as designed. Personally, I'm with Sirs - I like to use Maxi-Fuses because I can see that those have melted just by looking thru the waterproof cover.