Sponsored by:

Audio Improvements

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-02, 11:22 PM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Audio Improvements

I just got my lexus '96 model and those who are familiar with it will realize that the stereo isn't all so easy. Can you guys give me some tips on what stereo with cd would be a good fit for the car. Should i use double din or single.. if so will i have to customize the outer area of the stereo if it doesn't fit?

I also have some questions dealing with the sound... The two back speakers in the rear of the car which came standard, are they worth the time to update and get better quality speakers?

Im planning on buying some amps and subs.... Which brands do u suggest?

One last question which is just out of curiousity... Are there sub cases available that have lighting of color that project through maybe a glass casing for the subs.. just wonderin... it would be nice if you could answer some of the questions lata
Old 08-23-02, 05:39 PM
stevie
Driver

Before replacing the head unit and buying extra amps, change the speakers for good aftermarket ones. That will give the the biggest sound improvement for your dollar, as the stock Lexus speakers are dire.

You might well be happy with that upgrade and not need to go any further. You will not be happy if you change the electronics without upgrading the speakers first.

We all have our preferences for different brands. You would do well to try to find a good dealer and take a listen using some CDs that you're familiar with. Easier said than done, I know. Try not to fall for the hype.

Stevie
Old 08-26-02, 06:07 PM
sxa67
Driver School Candidate

i know how it is, i'm having trouble getting a cd changer installed in my 95 es-300!!!
Old 08-26-02, 10:47 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

stevie, do you recommend any particular speakers for the upgrade?
Old 08-27-02, 12:40 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beginner question:

Say you're keeping stock HU and amp and replacing speakers as suggested. Does watts matter? Nice speakers are rated at like 150W and more. Would that be too much or does that not matter.
Old 08-27-02, 01:41 PM
stevie
Driver

I can't help you very much with the choice of components. Most people on this list have much more knowledge of what's available than I have.

As a general guidline I would say choose a five inch component system to fit the plastic 'pods', choose a polyprop cone rather than metal or paper and make sure you get a one inch dome tweeter rather than anything smaller. For the rears, choose a coax version of your front speakers, if available (which will probably have a smaller tweeter, but that's OK).

For the sub, I would recommend the Vifa 10" free air mounted on a 1 inch thick birch ply (if possible) baffle under the rear parcel shelf to replace the stock woofer, but some others here seem to like the JL free air. You won't be able to get a demo of the Vifa, however, as it's really only available mail order.

Stevie
Old 08-27-02, 11:45 PM
stevie
Driver

Your Lexus amplification system isn't powerful enough to really overdrive or blow any reputable car audio speaker.

Ignore the watts. The more reputable the company, the more accurate their power handling figures. The less reputable ones exaggerate and/or mislead.

A *genuine* 50 W rms power handling for your door speakers and 100 W for your subwoofer is plenty for the stock amps, and probably twice what you have at the moment.

Stevie
Old 09-25-02, 05:50 PM
fog80
Driver

ok but how hard is it to add a new head unit?

what would i need other than the actual head unit?
Old 09-26-02, 08:35 PM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

96 ES...no sub.
i have a 95 es and i've done everything except the HU; i've already got the CD changer and i like how it looks.
if you're gonna keep the HU and just want to change the speakers for now, don't get something rated very high. like someone said, about 50 rms (100w max) is kool. with the very little power comming from the stock amp, at high volume it's just going to be straining for power asked by the speakers.
if you're going to do an amp upgrade also...maybe in the future, then go for it and get speakers that you'll want to keep. they will sound like crap at high volumes at first, but when you get the amp, it's all good.
Old 10-09-02, 05:53 PM
fog80
Driver

Originally posted by stevie
I can't help you very much with the choice of components. Most people on this list have much more knowledge of what's available than I have.

As a general guidline I would say choose a five inch component system to fit the plastic 'pods', choose a polyprop cone rather than metal or paper and make sure you get a one inch dome tweeter rather than anything smaller. For the rears, choose a coax version of your front speakers, if available (which will probably have a smaller tweeter, but that's OK).

For the sub, I would recommend the Vifa 10" free air mounted on a 1 inch thick birch ply (if possible) baffle under the rear parcel shelf to replace the stock woofer, but some others here seem to like the JL free air. You won't be able to get a demo of the Vifa, however, as it's really only available mail order.

Stevie
have you installed a component set in your es300?

how do you fit the new tweeter in the old ones place?
Old 10-10-02, 02:04 PM
stevie
Driver

I have a GS300 (Is the es300 an American model?)

I did a straight swapout of the tweeter, using silicone to hold it in place. It was very straightforward.

Stevie
Old 10-10-02, 02:07 PM
stevie
Driver

I used Scotch tape to hold it firmly in place while the silicone dried overnight.

Stevie