Sponsored by:

Kicker Free Air Vs Stock Nak Sub

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-02, 05:06 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kicker Free Air Vs Stock Nak Sub

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if the sub upgrade is worth it, my car is going in tomorrow morning unless I hear that the upgrade isn't worth it, its costing me quite a bit to install it, they quoted me 4 hrs + parts, which will be atleast 300+ CAD not to mention the amp and sub that I already bought. Is the sound that much better? Hoping someone can post before tomorrow morning. Thanks.
Kicker 10c and Phoenix Gold Amp are going in.
Old 08-27-02, 05:30 AM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

if they do it correctly, you won't regret it It sounds absolutely awesome.
Old 08-27-02, 07:09 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch
Old 08-27-02, 07:46 AM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude....the price doesn't sound right for 4hrs plus parts. parts should run you about $70 max, plus another $90 max for labor. that's $160 in my book. you should shop around a bit before you dive in. get real, it doesn't take that long to slap an amp and one sub in. i put a 12" Kicker in my rear deck in the LS4 off of the factory sub and it sounds great and it only took half an hour.......i wouldn't do it if i were you.
Old 08-27-02, 11:45 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Thats what I thought about the price... 300 after labour and parts :eek: . I guess I will see what happens, I am going in today, I have shopped around, the two best installers in town, both quoted me the exact same. It really sucks living in such a small city, also that price is Canadian so 3 hundy is only about 2 in the states. I am going to see if they can mount a 12" in there for me, I think that might make it more worth while. I am gonna talk to them about the price. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-27-02, 02:03 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What are they doing? Why are they charging so much? You can do it yourself pretty easily. Do you know where they plan on mounting the amp?

Another thing...how come your guys' subs sound so great? I put in a Pioneer 10" free air and a 150W Pioneer amp and it's not THAT great sounding. Did I do something wrong?
Old 08-27-02, 02:14 PM
ScrewFace
Rookie

I still have not purchased my SC300 as yet and would like to know if anybody has ever bolted a non Free Air 10" or 12" Sub to the rear deck and then build a sealed box around it.... is there even enough clearance to attempt this?

Thanks
Old 08-27-02, 03:14 PM
SilverLS400
Pole Position

well i got a10in KIcker Freeair sub in a tube and it sounds good from the nak. amp. It took me 30 min to install....shouldnt be more than 200 seeing that sub is discontinued and its take bout a hour to run wires and stuff. Dont let the pull u that its a lexus so its takes more time crap...

Thats and easy DIY install...
Old 08-27-02, 05:54 PM
2Lexos

Originally posted by howiedoit

Another thing...how come your guys' subs sound so great? I put in a Pioneer 10" free air and a 150W Pioneer amp and it's not THAT great sounding. Did I do something wrong?
yeah....but the only way to find out what you did wrong is to take it to a pro

at 10" sub w/amp should be rockin' your car.....i did DirectQL's car with same step up only it was rockford equipment. now he has more bass than he know what to do with....
Old 08-27-02, 05:58 PM
2Lexos

Originally posted by ScrewFace
I still have not purchased my SC300 as yet and would like to know if anybody has ever bolted a non Free Air 10" or 12" Sub to the rear deck and then build a sealed box around it.... is there even enough clearance to attempt this?

Thanks
good thinking but it's not that simple.......what you would have to do because of the limited clearance is build a box, then channel the sound up to the stock hole in your rear deck. it's hard to explain but i did it for the first time in a GS3 about 6 yrs ago with 3 JL w6's.......can you say slammin':eek: but when you get your car i can help you design the box no problem.....
Old 08-27-02, 06:05 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

nice avatar Phoenix

Last edited by E39; 08-27-02 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-27-02, 06:24 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Is there an easy drop in replacement for the 10" factory unit that would be a major improvement? Would still use the factory amp, just looking for deeper, slightly stronger bass.

That gas tank gets pretty close to the magnet on a deep 12" sub. It would have to be a pretty shallow (cheap?) 12" to fit the stock location.
Old 08-27-02, 06:28 PM
ScrewFace
Rookie

2Lexos, do you have any pictures of the setup you did in the GS300?
Old 08-27-02, 08:01 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by ScrewFace

Thanks
Most 10" subs that handle upwards of 200W have large magnets -- large enough that the magnet will sit on the fuel cell. I have a 400W free-air Pioneer sub (I keep forgetting to look up the model/part number), but it sits on the fuel cell. And this sub isn't even that deep. From the mounting point to the top of the fuel cell, you have only about 6.5" of space. Most 10" subs will occupy most (if not all of this space). So, if I'm reading your question correctly, NO, there is no way you can put a box under the stock subwoofer opening. 12" subs are out of the question.

What you can do, however, is build a box that would sit to the rear of the fuel cell, and remove the stock subwoofer completely. That would allow "sound" to travel to the interior of the car, since there is a solid metal panel that separates the trunk from the rear passenger seat.
Old 08-27-02, 08:07 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by howiedoit
What are they doing? Why are they charging so much? You can do it yourself pretty easily. Do you know where they plan on mounting the amp?

Free-air subs can never sound as good or hit as hard as sealed or ported speakers due to their infinite baffle nature. However, one thing that you can to make the sound better with free-air subs is give that thing more power.

My Pioneer sub is rated at 200W RMS and 400W peak, but I'm driving it with an Orion Cobalt 2100 bridged. Some people think I have at least 12-inchers in the back until they pop my trunk. They find one measely 10" free-air POS sub.

Quick Reply: Kicker Free Air Vs Stock Nak Sub