Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Percy, ? on GS head unit pre-outs...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-02, 05:05 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Percy, ? on GS head unit pre-outs...

I read an interesting article in a recent car audio mag. An installer had cracked open the stock head unit of an IS300, beefed up the internals, and then added pre-amp outputs so LLC's weren't needed. This sounds like something right up your alley, so it just got me wondering if you'd ever looked into the GS head unit?
Old 08-28-02, 05:51 PM
TXLeXTC
Driver

If no one has the answer, and has a head unit to donate I will figure it out for us all, just dont want to kill my head unit yet
Old 08-28-02, 09:46 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

mumbles, i asked this question maybe 2 weeks ago. I was wondering what the difference in sound would be if I went with some good LLCs v. tapping into the pre-amp. Look at the other posts or do a search.
Old 08-29-02, 12:07 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Percy, ? on GS head unit pre-outs...

Originally posted by mumbles
I read an interesting article in a recent car audio mag. An installer had cracked open the stock head unit of an IS300, beefed up the internals, and then added pre-amp outputs so LLC's weren't needed. This sounds like something right up your alley, so it just got me wondering if you'd ever looked into the GS head unit?
Mumbles,

I looked into the GS head unit (pioneer) and it really can't be practically done. There's one set of outputs for the CD and another set for the tape/radio. You'd need some sort of switcher box AND some sort of circuitry to duplicate the signals from either set so you have more preouts. Not really worth the effort, imo as the preouts (if they can call it that) are so-so at best.

I can understand why the owner of the IS300 went with modding out the head unit. Best reason is that it has the built in 6 cd changer. I can't really think of another reason other than it looks stock, because it basically is.

Notice that the IS300 install has NO processor of any sort. Plus the ingredients are, imo, middle range at best. The turbo is nice though as well as the overall "finish" of the installation.

Percy
Old 08-29-02, 12:06 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Percy, ? on GS head unit pre-outs...

Originally posted by Percy

Mumbles,

I looked into the GS head unit (pioneer) and it really can't be practically done. There's one set of outputs for the CD and another set for the tape/radio. You'd need some sort of switcher box AND some sort of circuitry to duplicate the signals from either set so you have more preouts. Not really worth the effort, imo as the preouts (if they can call it that) are so-so at best.

I can understand why the owner of the IS300 went with modding out the head unit. Best reason is that it has the built in 6 cd changer. I can't really think of another reason other than it looks stock, because it basically is.

Notice that the IS300 install has NO processor of any sort. Plus the ingredients are, imo, middle range at best. The turbo is nice though as well as the overall "finish" of the installation.

Percy
Yeah, now that you mention the bit about the separate outputs, I recall the other message, and cosmetics would be the only reason I'd do this. The installation was pretty nice, and of course the turbo is an added bonus. Is the owner a member of CL?
Old 08-29-02, 01:40 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Eric,

I have no idea if he's a member of CL or not. The article was brought to my attention by John Lai (forgot his user name) who is a member of CL and frequents the IS300 forum as well as IS300.net

Percy