Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Which sound proofing material is better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 03:22 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ethan, I have used several of the CAE products. I have not used the others so I don't have anything to compare to. I just liked the technology behind the CAE products and the family of materials. So far, everything is performing as advertised. Application is easy and so far, all adhesives have stayed stuck. No smells at all. I may be experiencing a placebo effect but I swear that the doors get a much more solid "thunk" with the sound deadening material applied. Also used the Percy recommended Deflex behind the large door drivers which can only be described as strange but something is sure making the front dyns hit very well on the low end.
Old 09-03-02, 05:35 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Deflex is good for both. Mass loading of the panels and eliminating the standing waves. My midbass has improved big time after I put in the Deflex pads.

My car is all torn apart again. Installing the 8's in doors, changing out the HU, adding another 2.5k of A/B power
Old 09-03-02, 06:24 PM
stevie
Driver

>Deflex is good for both.

How did you get them to stick. Retro?

Stevie
Old 09-03-02, 06:44 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ron430:
No you are not crazy, no placebo effect with Cascade on doors. I was always complaining about the cheap empty sardine can sound of the rear doors in my GS, especially if you let the door handle slip and spring back down. This is almost completely gone after application of CAE sheets inside the rear doors - doors sound like a Mercedes (cough-cough) now. I still like Dynamat Extreme better, though......
Old 09-03-02, 07:55 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

engin-ear Thanks. I hesitated to post that it made a Lexus seem more solid, but it did. I wouldn't call the stock "tinny" but getting as much sound/vibration deadening material and the Deflex as I could (both inside the door cavity and under the inner panel) really made a difference. I hate to say it but it does come up to that Merc "thunk".

stevie - There is a black Loctite CA glue, don't remember the number right now, that is very high strength even in an environment where there are shock impulses. I used this stuff after cleaning the surface with isopropyl alcohol and the Deflex really stuck. The downside? If you work with CA glue you get used to picking the stuff off of your hands afterwards. Well, when it is black, you really see where it is and it is a PITA to get off your skin.
Old 09-04-02, 03:58 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Silicone glue works best. You can always use 3M glue but that is not as good as silicone. Don't forget to wash the pads in soapy water and rinse them before install.
Old 09-04-02, 05:49 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a 50 sq. ft. roll of RAAMmat for a discounted price of about $60 thanks to my bud Retrodrive and here's what 21 sq ft. will do for your back seat of a SC400. This took me 3-4 hours, and I've never smelled it in my car once it was installed:

If you'd like to try some out Ethan, swing by on your next trip to Bev Hills and you can have the rest of the roll !

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 09-04-02 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-04-02, 06:05 PM
stevie
Driver

Ron/Retro,

We seem to have different glues this side of the pond. Would the silicone glue be the silicone sealant that you use so seal edges in bathrooms?

Stevie
Old 09-04-02, 06:05 PM
stevie
Driver

Perry, that's a true work of art.

Stevie
Old 09-04-02, 08:26 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

stevie - The silicone adhesive is pretty much the same the world over. It probably works but the instructions with the Deflex recommend using a CA (superglue) adhesive. The Deflex also has a low tack adhesive on it already with a plastic mask (sort of like plastic food wrap), the idea is that the low tack adhesive holds it in place while the other glue you use cures. I did not clean the Deflex at all, I just left their adhesive on and added the extra adhesive and slapped the whole thing in. As Percy mentions in THE BOOK you need to cut the Deflex in half as there is a reinforcement on the inside of the door panel, I just centered the Deflex behind the speaker, figured out how to cut it so it would lay above and below the brace and glued it in. More difficult to describe than it is to do.

Not sure about the current standing in the UK but Loctite is a fairly world wide organization, probably have some distribution set up there.
Old 09-06-02, 04:35 PM
stevie
Driver

Ron,

Aha, superglue! I understand that. I've never come across the abbreviation CA before, but it's certainly handy for people like me who can't spell cyanoacrylate (without looking it up first).

I have tried superglue on Deflex, but a) it's expensive stuff if you use it over a large area, and 2) it's hopeless on wood because it just sinks straight in. I appreciate we are talking about sticking the panels to metal here, though.

Loctite is, as you say, worldwide and indeed very active in the UK. Still, I've never seen their black superglue in the stores here.

Stevie
Old 09-06-02, 05:23 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry about that. I guess I should have identified it better. Just for info, the superglues come in various viscosities and in order to use it to bond something like Deflex to a very porous surface like wood or particle board, you would probably have to use one of the gel ones to prevent it from just whicking into the wood. I actually have seen the black CA in our hardware stores now so it is probably coming.
Old 09-06-02, 06:15 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
<snip...>
If you'd like to try some out Ethan, swing by on your next trip to Bev Hills and you can have the rest of the roll !
Perry, that truly is a work of art! Mucho props!

Instead of giving the rest away (but I'd be happy to have it!), I suggest you use some inside your doors and over your trans tunnel. Makes a world of difference!!

-Walter
Old 09-06-02, 06:22 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/For...ML/000676.html

Might be interesting for you guys.
Old 09-06-02, 10:58 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That IS good reading, Pete!

waltermulli and stevie - thanks for the kind words.
I only offered my remaining RAAMmat to Ethan since he was very nice to me at the Fontana and Carson meets, so I thought I'd return the favor.

But you are right- if he doesn't want it, it may be a better idea to just keep it around so I can slap on a layer of RAAMmat everytime I open up another part of my car. Sorry, Lvangundy (who wanted to buy the rest of my RAAMmat roll)!

Quick Reply: Which sound proofing material is better?