Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subwoofer foam surrounding tore

is there anyway to fix this?
Old 05-10-11, 05:52 PM
93LexusES3
Driver School Candidate

they do sell what's known as "Refoam" Kits...basically it's a kit that includes a Surround,Adhesive and instructions.

they are usually foam but i know they do make Rubber ones which i would more than likely use since it will last longer.

what size is the Subwoofer?

the Size of the Cone as well as the inside Edge of the Speaker Basket?
Old 05-10-11, 07:09 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 93LexusES3
they do sell what's known as "Refoam" Kits...basically it's a kit that includes a Surround,Adhesive and instructions.

they are usually foam but i know they do make Rubber ones which i would more than likely use since it will last longer.

what size is the Subwoofer?

the Size of the Cone as well as the inside Edge of the Speaker Basket?
its a 12 inch sub sir...

JL 12W3, i think the other one has a rip too so now its 2 that i need to tfix
Old 05-10-11, 07:39 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

^ its from "Abuse". Your blasting your sub too much, or over powering it
Old 05-10-11, 07:54 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
^ its from "Abuse". Your blasting your sub too much, or over powering it
i just got these...it had a lil small rip in it though...the small rip turned into a bigger rip..im runnin a 500/1 to it
Old 05-10-11, 11:01 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never heard a sub after such a repair if you do get it fixed let us know if your happy with it.
Old 05-10-11, 11:33 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your subwoofer can be fixed and you can do it yourself. You just have to get the proper size,material and "roll" for your subs. If your subs have a foam surround you should repair them using foam. The elastic properties of rubber are different and you will change how the subs sound if you use it in place of foam.

Here is a link where you can get everything you need. I have repaired many speakers and it is really very simple.

http://www.speakerworks.com/foam_sur...izing_s/63.htm

Good luck!
Old 05-11-11, 02:47 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lev00221
Your subwoofer can be fixed and you can do it yourself. You just have to get the proper size,material and "roll" for your subs. If your subs have a foam surround you should repair them using foam. The elastic properties of rubber are different and you will change how the subs sound if you use it in place of foam.

Here is a link where you can get everything you need. I have repaired many speakers and it is really very simple.

http://www.speakerworks.com/foam_sur...izing_s/63.htm

Good luck!
cool thanks bro ill look into that...
where in tx are u located?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3800235...=263602_309572

would that work?
Old 05-11-11, 07:37 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

I can't really tell from that picture. It seems like a generic stock picture. Look at your subwoofers......measure the distance from inside edge to outside edge of the surround......then measure the width and height of the semicircular part. That will tell you which surround to buy. I would avoid the eBay stuff unless you are very certain what you are buying.

I am in San Antonio, Texas
Old 05-13-11, 04:01 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

From my experience the sub never sounded the same after the repair. Ordered a kit on ebay that said "genuine" surrounds for JL subs. Following the instructions exactly I fix 2 JL w6v1 subs. I took my time and let the glue completely dry before testing it. At medium volume there's a slight popping noise and gets louder with the volume. At moderately high volume you can hear the popping from outside the car.

I thought maybe I screwed up and did a bad job. Ordered another kit and tried it again with same results. You can try it yourself cause the kits aren't that much but I would recommend having a professional shop do it if it's not too much.
Old 05-19-11, 12:46 AM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtgs400
From my experience the sub never sounded the same after the repair. Ordered a kit on ebay that said "genuine" surrounds for JL subs. Following the instructions exactly I fix 2 JL w6v1 subs. I took my time and let the glue completely dry before testing it. At medium volume there's a slight popping noise and gets louder with the volume. At moderately high volume you can hear the popping from outside the car.

I thought maybe I screwed up and did a bad job. Ordered another kit and tried it again with same results. You can try it yourself cause the kits aren't that much but I would recommend having a professional shop do it if it's not too much.
i found one shop that might be able to do it but then i found this page also

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/jl-aud...-fsk-12jl.html
Old 05-21-11, 12:47 PM
Dscustoms
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With cheaper speakers you are better off patching the hole than reconing them. You say small rips, try some black silicone and a small piece of fabric on the not visible side. It's just foam. Sq issues from reconing are usually alignment problems. The coil has to be square in the gap. Its not always easy.
Old 05-22-11, 10:06 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Dscustoms is correct. If there was a sound quality issue or popping after the repair it is because the voice coil was misaligned. Proper repair involves removing the dustcap and inserting shims into the space between the voice coil and the center pole piece. If you insert these at the 12,3,6, and 9 o'clock positions and leave them while the glue on the surround dries you should not have any problems. The subwoofer may sound a little different while the new surround is broken in but after that it should sound identical to how it did when you purchased it. Don't be afraid to perform this repair. Once you do it you will see how simple and cost effective it really is.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-11, 09:26 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lev00221
Dscustoms is correct. If there was a sound quality issue or popping after the repair it is because the voice coil was misaligned. Proper repair involves removing the dustcap and inserting shims into the space between the voice coil and the center pole piece. If you insert these at the 12,3,6, and 9 o'clock positions and leave them while the glue on the surround dries you should not have any problems. The subwoofer may sound a little different while the new surround is broken in but after that it should sound identical to how it did when you purchased it. Don't be afraid to perform this repair. Once you do it you will see how simple and cost effective it really is.

Good luck!
I did remove the dustcap and used shims in the gap on both tries. Someone said that it could be because the new surrounds were not stiff enough and allowing the cone to move too much and the voice coil was hitting the back plate. Sounds feasible since these were ebay kits and may just be cheap generic foam surrounds.
Old 05-24-11, 08:32 AM
JREP
Driver School Candidate

Depending on how bad the rip is and where it's located on the sub you can sometimes get away with just resealing it with clear silicone.

Quick Reply: subwoofer foam surrounding tore