Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Finally Decided... Just One More Thing..

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-02, 08:16 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Decided... Just One More Thing..

I've decided on the following for my beginning replacement of the stock audio of my 1993 SC 400 after thourough research.

5 1/2 Front and Rear JL XR525CS/CXi speakers.
300/4 JL Amp.
10" JL Audio 10IB4 Infinite Baffle Subwoofer.

I was just wondering if the 300/4 amp is capable of running all this and if there will be any problems.

I am also finding it hard to find the sub. If anyone can get me the 10IB4, i would be very gracious. I e-mailed chronic systems but have received no response.
Old 09-06-02, 12:14 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Hmm

If you run front pair, rear paid and sub...you need 5 channels to run them correctly.

Also, the IB is tough to get because of the high rate of people expecting too much from them and not being too happy.

If you can...build a box..

MW
Old 09-06-02, 12:21 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

So a 5 channel amp would be the same as getting the JL 500/1 right? any suggestion for the 5 channel amp or a better free air sub?
Old 09-06-02, 12:28 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Okay... a 300.4 = 300watts to 4 channels. a 500.1 is 500 watts to ONE channel.

You could get a 300.4 and a 250.1 for all 5 channels.

Or.... If I was doing your system. I would...

Get the XR525CS for the front
Get the 10IB
Get the 300.4

The rear speakers will not help much and also get distorted from the 10inch sub being only inches away. What happens is your trunk is used as a sealed box and the piece that gives the most are the two rear deck speakers...they almost act like ports.

That setup will do a better job for you.

MW
Old 09-06-02, 12:58 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

so if i have only a 4 channel amp but 5 channels.. that means something isnt getting hooked up right? I'm buying the stuff and taking it to an installer so im just wondering what i should know before i take it in there. know anything about the 10 inch OZ audio sub? i've heard its basically the same as the IB4 and i cant find the IB4 but i can get the OZ so im just wondering?

Im really just looking for a better-then-stock free air sound that won't get give me any problems. thanks.
Old 09-06-02, 01:17 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Hey bone,

Quit PM'ing me everything you post here.... I see this thread faster than I can check my PM. You know I see this thread cuz I am the only one responding to it. You also can see that based on the time span than I CHECK THE FORUM OFTEN ENOUGH.

"so if i have only a 4 channel amp but 5 channels.. that means something isnt getting hooked up right?" YEAH....makes sense doesn't it?

"...10 inch OZ audio sub? i've heard its basically the same as the IB4 and i cant find the IB4 but i can get the OZ so im just wondering?" NO.. Not the same and ALL Infinite Baffle woofers are TROUBLESOME. They are not the easiest to tune or get to work correctly.

For that matter, most subs are troublesome if you do not mount them in a specified size enclosure. Speakers have specs. These specs relate to a enclosure size that compliments it. Even IB woofers need certain things constant. For example, if you mounted the IB in a GS400 with volumes of air space below the woofer... it will sound different than the SC400 with a big gas tank within millimeters of the magnet.

Again... IB woofers are equivalent to cutting corners. You cut corners and you get what you get.

Lastly, if you do not have a solid grasp on what this is all going to sound like when you are done, then you should seek the advice of the shop who is going to install it. Let a professional advise you and then hold them to it. I could tell you what to buy, but if the wrencher-boy hacks it into your Lexus and it sounds like POOP then who are you going to be mad at? ME? HIM?

You don't get what you pay for...just for what you demand!!

I did my entire system for less than $600 and it sounds excellent. However the bass hits so hard it rattles the dashboard.
Amps Used Rockford Fosgate (2) 100x2
Clarion 3way x-over with remote bass control
XR525csi
JL W3-v2 12" 2ohm
Fiberglass sub enclosure

MW
Old 09-06-02, 01:24 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Apologies sent. I am really just getting extremely aggravated with the entire situation. I want my sound to be good and worth the money I spend. I have confidence in the front speakers, but beyond that, nothing else. I guess I'll just have to toy with this for awhile and take my time. Once again, sorry.
Old 09-06-02, 01:43 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I would think that there are several members in the tri-states that will recommend a qualified shop to you. You just need to find someone you trust and has the price you like. Then pull the trigger. I have been in car audio, custom home theaters, and computers for over 12years now. It is easy for me to make decisions and know what I am getting. It is always difficult to balance the money spent and the joy you get from it. However, it is easy to equate the corners cut to the pile of junk you will end up with.

I have no intention of going wild with my Lexus on the stereo side. I wanted form, function, and stock esthetics. My Acura had over $15k in stereo/interior mods and was fun but a headache to worry about while trying to sit thru a 2hour movie without checking the pager a dozen times. I would rather spend the $10k on a turbo.

MW
Old 09-06-02, 01:51 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually those power ratings on the 300.4 are not correct.

The JL 300.4 puts out 75w x 4, 75 to each channel
The JL 500.1 puts out 500 x1, sub amp, way more than what you need for that sub you mentioned

JL does make a 5 channel amp that is pretty damn nice, If I remember correctly off the top of my head, its 100x2 front channels, 50x2 rear channels, and 250x1 sub channel. This amp would be perfect for what you trying to accomplish.

Your going to shell out more cash for it, but the 300.4 is not going to "properly" run that whole system. You can do it if you run all 4 speakers off the front channels, then bridge the rear channels to the sub. But doing this you lose fading capabilities, plus you cant properly tune the system to back off the rear fill.

Either buy two amps, one four channel and 1 mono sub amp, or buy the 5 channel JL. Price will be roughly the same if you shop around. I have heard the 5 channel running a complete system and it sounded great.

Hope this helps some, good luck with it.
Old 09-06-02, 12:18 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

TTurboPimp,

What isn't correct?

"Actually those power ratings on the 300.4 are not correct.

The JL 300.4 puts out 75w x 4, 75 to each channel
The JL 500.1 puts out 500 x1, sub amp, way more than what you need for that sub you mentioned"

I dont see the confusion?

75x4=300? So what is different about the power ratings?

My original statement was....

"Okay... a 300.4 = 300watts to 4 channels. a 500.1 is 500 watts to ONE channel."

MW
Old 09-06-02, 02:20 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pcmw,
I took that to mean you were stating 300w to each channel from the wording. Take a deep breath, no need to get offended!!

Obviously Captain Bone isnt the most seasoned person in the car audio field, I just wanted to make sure he new exactly what the specs are, what he should be looking at, and why. My post was meant to be helpful to him, not offend you.
Old 09-06-02, 06:52 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Not offended...

Just thought I screwed up something and then was SHOCKED that I DIDN'T.

Takes more than a message board to offend me!! Steal my car and make me have to hurt someone and I will be offended.

MW