Sponsored by:

Integration of Nokia Hands free phone kit to LS430

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-02, 01:16 PM
salo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integration of Nokia Hands free phone kit to LS430

I justm got my new LS430 with Nav and Lexus Link and would like to install my NOkia Hands free car kit. This is working well but I have no idea how to get the Nokia to mute the audio system during phone calls. WOuld anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
Old 09-07-02, 01:56 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Accoding to the LS430 Electrical Wiring Diagram (EWD) there are 2 mute wires going to the main amplifier. One is from the "Radio and player" and other from "Stereo component tuner". They are both solid yellow wires on pin 4 of the 12 pin connector and pin 21 of the 25 pin connector at "Stereo component amplifier' in the trunk. Pin numbers are left to right, top to bottom looking into the connector.

I'm not sure of the signals, but I suspect it would be GND or + when muted. I'd test pin 4 of the the 12 pin connector 1st with a volt meter and manually mute your stereo. If you don't get + voltage, try testing continuity to GND when muted. This wire could then be directly connected to your Nokia cell phone mute wire. If you do get a + voltage you can use this to energize a small reed relay to short your Nokia cell phone mute wire to GND.

Oh, also congrats on your new LS430. What color extrior and interior? Any extra options?

Last edited by LS007; 09-07-02 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-07-02, 02:32 PM
salo
Driver School Candidate

Wow, Video Navi

This forum is great. I am not sure about your directions but I will pass these instructions on to my installer who had better be able to understand them.

Am I to understand that the place to connect the nokia mute line to is a yellow wire located in the trunk at the stereo (upper right corner of the trunk)? Is it possible that this wire could be also found on the unused wire harness connecter in the center console where I would have thought the "Lexus" integrated phone would have been installed? I ask this because that is where we installed the nokia phone and it would seem a heck of a lot easier if we could find it there.

BTW, thanks for asking, it is a silver / grey LS430 with the Nav/Lev option. Also installed is the Lexus link which has, since driving the car away, been complaining about an error (backup battery). Me dealer says that it will take up to 2 weeks for the battery to charge, but I really dont think he knows his stuff. It takes less than that to charge the batteries on a Super Class Submarine these days!

Love the car. It is my 4th LS and they just keep getting better!

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry to go on, but given your name I would like to ask your opinion on adding a DVD with monitor (in the headrests).

Best,
Harold
Old 09-07-02, 03:57 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Glad to help.... If you ever wonder about the price for a LS430 all you have to do is look over the wiring schematics of this car and you will know where your money went!

Ok, the 18 pin cell phone connector (C5) under the center console close to rear cigarette plug. It connects directly to the 'Telephone Transceiver and speaker relay' located in the trunk of the vehicle. Unfortunatly it does not appear to have a cell phone mute wire. Here is a list of the pins. The pin numbers go from right to left, top to bottom looking into the connector.

1. UPDT
10. DNDT
11. DT- (shield for UPDT and DNDT)
2. GND
3. C+B
4. T-A+
5. T-A- (shield for T-A+)
6. MOSR
7. CHAG
8. PWR
12. HLED
13. R-A+
14. R-A- (shield for R-A+)
15. HSW
16. CACC
17. OPT

None of these appear to be a mute wire, unless the OPT has a special function. No documentation on these wires. However the 'Telephone transceiver and speaker relay' has a light green wire w/ red stripe listed as MUTE (TMUT) that goes to 'Stereo component amplifier'. This wire can be found on pin 3 of the 16 pin connector going to the stereo component amplifier. Or pin 15 in the 20 pin connector on the Telephone transceiver and speaker relay. There is also a telephone Audio - and +, but appears to only come out the rear left speaker (just like Lexus Link). Of interest was the diagram showing the telephone transceiver and speaker relay on the left side of the trunk (other side from navigation computer). That might be a little closer.

Nice colors... I have the UL Silver with Black interior.

Let me know how your phone mute works out.
Old 09-07-02, 04:03 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

On the subject of headrest monitors. I've selected Pioneer AVD-W6000 6.5" with AD-HM6000 mounting kit. Going for a 7" monitor might be too big. The AD-HM6000 will make it look real nice, but it does have a black trim ring so I don't know how that would look with a gray interior. I haven't put the monitors in just yet, so I don't have a picture. As for DVD players there are many choices, but I like DVD changers like Pioneer's XDV-P90 or Alpine's, clarion's etc.
Old 09-07-02, 04:05 PM
salo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again kind sir. Can these schematics be purchased anywhere or are they strictly for the eyes of those chosen few?

I assume the UL is for Ultra Luxury. Wow, you really went top of the line. He tried to talk me into that but the only one who uses the back seat regularly is my Cairn Terrier and somehow she never complained about the fact that they dont recline or have their own HVAC controls.
Old 09-07-02, 05:34 PM
salo
Driver School Candidate

R U the Vlad they are talking about in setting up the Nav system to act as a DVD player?
Old 09-07-02, 06:00 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

The Lexus Electrical Wiring Diagram (EWD) is available from Lexus parts department at your dealership. Probably special order and expensive ~$200. You might find a Lexus part discounter on the net. The other good guide to have is the Repair Manual Volume 2 that will show you to take stuff apart and trouble shoot! It also has basic stereo schematic if that is all you need from the EWD.

I'm not Vlad, but have sold many video navigation kits for Acura and Honda cars. I've also done modifications on Pioneer GEX-P7000TV's, just like Vlad's.

Last edited by LS007; 09-08-02 at 03:20 AM.