Sponsored by:

Navigation Speed Sensor Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-02, 07:42 PM
mrlexusmn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Speed Sensor Bypass

I got the information on is300.net. Didn't know if anyone here would be interested in knowing this.

http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic...194&highlight=

I did the mod this morning. It works great. It allows you to input addresses and waypoints while the car is moving. I bought a 3 dollar rocker switch and that was about all it took. I mounted the switch under the armrest on my IS300.
Old 09-08-02, 10:05 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Thanks for the pointer. I'm going to do this mod for my LS430, but with a twist. I'm going to trigger a timer ($15 http://www.hobbytron.net/UK197.html) for 30 seconds to 1 minute every time the 'Destination' button is pressed. No hole to be drilled to mount a new switch.

Last edited by LS007; 02-14-03 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-08-02, 11:37 PM
VVTIS
Driver

Sweet! How hard would the install be to do a timer? Would it be possible on the IS also?
Old 09-08-02, 11:58 PM
mrlexusmn
Driver School Candidate

The timer does sound like a good idea for an LS. Unfortunatly it takes quite a bit longer to input addresses in a IS300 due to the lack of touchscreen capabilities. You could probalby put in an address in a minute, but I don't think I could. (the IS is run with a toggle joystick, you have to scroll through the letters and numbers and hit enter for each one.) Then once the timer goes out, you would loose signal and would either have to stop the car or hit the "destination" button, which would erase the data you were inputing. I do notice that if you leave the bypass button on the nav goes all goofy and looses the correct position. It's really weird and hard to explain without seeing it. If you have timer set too long you won't like the way it acts. Either way, good luck!
Old 09-09-02, 12:38 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

would these be the same wires for an rx. also why cant u leave the switch permantly switched on. in reading the other forums threads, they say funky things start to happen. like what??? why does the ecu need to know the car is moving?
Old 09-09-02, 12:50 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

The timer is adjustable up to 5 minutes, so it would also work with the IS navigation where the input time would be longer. With a timer it's always assured to go back to 'normal' speed pulse input. Have you noticed that your location needs to be recalibrated after disconnecting the speed pulse wire several times?

To hook the timer in you simply intercept the speed pulse wire with the common and normally closed relay contacts (provided on the PCB of the kit). The tricky part would be understanding how the navigations 'Destination' button is wired and how to integrated the kits push button in parallel. I suspect the destination button contacts between GND or a low + voltage.
Old 09-27-02, 10:01 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Well it's done. I've bypassed my speed pulse wire for the navigation system in my LS430. It was real tricky getting the timer wired into the existing Destination and Map/Voice buttons. Now I have approx. 3 minutes of destination input every time the Destination button is pressed (signaled with a green LED behind the top multi-function display) then the navigaiton returns to normal. If you ever press the Map/Voice button it stops the timer immediatly. In the LS both the Destination and Map/Voice buttons have 2 sets of contacts on the PCB for the conductive circles in the rubber pad to make contact. I ended up using one set of contacts for start button (Destination) and another set for the stop button (Map/Voice) of the 555 timer circuit. The speed pulse wire is simply then interupted by the timers relay.

To those at home, don't open up your navigation display. It's a puzzle of interlocking PCB's.

Last edited by LS007; 09-27-02 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-29-02, 05:36 PM
mrlexusmn
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by VideoNavi
Well it's done. I've bypassed my speed pulse wire for the navigation system in my LS430. It was real tricky getting the timer wired into the existing Destination and Map/Voice buttons. Now I have approx. 3 minutes of destination input every time the Destination button is pressed (signaled with a green LED behind the top multi-function display) then the navigaiton returns to normal. If you ever press the Map/Voice button it stops the timer immediatly. In the LS both the Destination and Map/Voice buttons have 2 sets of contacts on the PCB for the conductive circles in the rubber pad to make contact. I ended up using one set of contacts for start button (Destination) and another set for the stop button (Map/Voice) of the 555 timer circuit. The speed pulse wire is simply then interupted by the timers relay.

To those at home, don't open up your navigation display. It's a puzzle of interlocking PCB's.
Congratulations. Sounds like you did a good job. I'm sure you will love the mod you did, I am impressed.
Old 10-28-02, 10:57 AM
splogue
Driver School Candidate

Is it fairly easy to find the wire in an LS430? I'd like to try adding a bypass switch, but I don't want to start disassembling things. I tried that with a walkman a long time ago and never did get it all back together again!

I read the detailed instructions for the IS car, but the wires are in different locations on my LS, so they don't help much.

Thanks for any help,

Sean
Old 10-29-02, 06:13 PM
Lexdub99
Driver

Default how do you do this in a gs

Can this be done in a gs400 let me know please.
Old 11-01-02, 03:48 PM
kpura
Driver School Candidate

Has anybody tried this on the SC430?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin