Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Best Sub Brand?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-02, 03:23 PM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks alot, i now think i get it (hopefully). Thanks for all your help i'll post something in a while once i get my system and get some pix up to show. Thanks again
Old 09-26-02, 04:54 AM
disco_y2k
Pole Position

The best amps by FAR are Lunar and for the money I like Punch HE2 at soundhabit.com they have HE2 12's for $99 EACH, CANT BEAT THAT!
Old 09-26-02, 02:31 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Soundhabbit is gone is no one misses it. They have ripped off too many people.
Old 09-26-02, 05:17 PM
BoNgBlAzE

Amps: US Amps, Orion HCCA and XTR Pro, Zapco ,Brax, Arc Audio
Subs: Digital Designs, Beyond Audio, Shocker Audio, Adire Audio

Alot of it is install though.
Old 09-26-02, 09:48 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Re: WTF??? W7s in IB

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rico's Revenge
[B]

I believe he meant "infinite baffle" or free-air, no "isobaric."

On a $1K budget, it will be tight to get what you are looking for. I am NOT a fan of Audiobahn, but they have their place in a show application. In SPL and SQ competition, they get smoked, we've done it MANY times. On the street...cool.

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Every amplifier manufacturer lies about their amp ratings, it is the buyers responsibility to find out who lies the least.

***Almost every one of them will "lie" to make the numbers. Yes, even Brax does it. Only one I've run into that will absolutely NOT lie about the numbers is McIntosh. You can put them in "real life" situations (in the car) and then measure their distortion, power output, etc and have them EXCEED their specs on power delivery, AT RMS specs, not peak specs. Often times their distortion numbers are LOWER than actually spec'd. Mc rates their distortion at 12 volts, below rated power (where all of the grunge and "dirt" is), from 20 to 20khz at 0.005 percent. One of the larger car audio mags measure the newer Mc (the one with the double autoformers) and the highest they measured was 0.0045 percent. ***

The last thing you should worry about is the wattage rating on a subwoofer. 99 times out of 100 the sub is blown because of distortion, not power. If you get a big power handling sub, say an Orion HCCA and you hook it up to a P.O.S. amp you'll blow it quickly. If you hook it up to a clean "monster" amp it will play forever and at a higher SPL.

The other extreme example is you have a poor quality woofer that says 1000 watts and you hook it up to a poor quality amplifier that says 1000 watts, it will probably play because the amp is really putting out 100 watts of REAL power. Now take the same sub and put it on a Hifonics Z200 which is rated at only 200 watts when bridged and the sub will play louder because the Hifonics is putting out 180 REAL watts. Now hook the sub up to a real deal 1000 watt amp and it will probably catch fire because it can't take the real deal.

***Most subs aren't spec'd for long term IEC ratings. Not even my favorite Velodyne will rate them for long term power, just recommended power. Dyn (there I go again Todd!) will rate them for long term IEC and for short term (10 millisecond peak) of what the speaker can handle. Another point that you make is REAL power from the amp. Most companies will start touting "640 watts!!!" (I'm picking on the Alpine amps here) but if you look closely at the ratings, they're in bridged configuration, at 14.4 volts (not 12 volts) and at moocho distortion numbers. Plus this is for the PEAK rating which is quite a bit higher than the RMS rating. Plus their distortion measurements are taken at 1khz (the lowest region for distortion) and AT RATED POWER, which means that the amps is pushing out as much power as it has. If you measure at BELOW RATED POWER than you get the real numbers of what the amp can do. Remember, "below rated power" has more grunge and dirt to it. IF Alpine measured from 20-20khz, 12 volts, RMS power delivery and below it's rated power limit then you can be sure that the numbers will be drastically different. Basically, it's how much marketing HYPE and FLASHY numbers you can use to "fool" the consumer.***

Percy
Old 09-27-02, 01:11 AM
kidcapp
Lead Lap

i like rockford fosgate amps i have a 1500bd and a 800.4 they run real good i never had any problems
Old 09-27-02, 01:17 AM
kidcapp
Lead Lap

check out ww.CBRstereo.com they have good item and great prices
Old 10-05-02, 02:36 AM
lexus28160
Driver School Candidate

i went to a sanctioned sound off for spl last week. audiobahn had one of their cars there. a guy with titanium eclipse 15's and mmats amps blew everyone out of the water(including audiobahn)! he took home the state record for spl and reality

Last edited by lexus28160; 10-05-02 at 02:37 AM.
Old 10-05-02, 04:11 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

He had a good install then. I was always under impression that 80% is install and 20% is the equipment you use.

Pair a couple of DEI 1100D amps and a DD sub and try to get 170 legal db's out of it. You will reallly see how much the installation matters. It has been done props to Nathan Munsoon.
Old 10-06-02, 04:41 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Originally posted by lexus28160
i went to a sanctioned sound off for spl last week. audiobahn had one of their cars there. a guy with titanium eclipse 15's and mmats amps blew everyone out of the water(including audiobahn)! he took home the state record for spl and reality
The water is a little deeper here in Texas...LOL!! Treo and DD rule all here.
Old 10-07-02, 12:29 AM
lexus28160
Driver School Candidate

well you know the old saying about texans... you're either a steer or a queer.LOL!! i go to alot of soundoffs and have never seen your stuff do any good. but the install is at least 75% of what quality and bass you end up with. i'm just playing with you rico so don't take it personally. by the way,the water may be a little deeper there considering i live in the mountains but the women are alot better looking here.
Old 10-07-02, 11:16 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

LOL!! No offense taken. I'm a New Yorker that has been here for only a couple of years.

I go to a sound off every now and then myself. As a matter of fact if you go to USACi finals in Kansas City in November, you'll see me there. I have the white Sound Q GS3 with the words "Texas State Champion" on the back window. I'll be there with the rest of my team (Team Zier Box) which consists of another SQ TX Champ and 5 SPL trucks, all of which should have TX State Champ in their class after this weekend (and maybe one world record in Stock 601+). We hate losing.

MMATS makes a damn good bass amp, BTW. Usually you would see it paired with a DD and not the Eclipse subs.
Old 10-09-02, 07:55 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face

28160, I'm not buyin' your story about NC women, you'll have to go some to find better lookin' women than in Dallas. :-) And I'm not even from there, so independent opinion, just my two cents (in fun).
Old 10-09-02, 08:33 PM
lexus28160
Driver School Candidate

rico, im interested in the DD you are talking about. im always looking for something new to read up on. let me know something.you never know i might like them as much as that bra size!!LOL thanks
Old 10-09-02, 11:41 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by lexus28160
rico, im interested in the DD you are talking about. im always looking for something new to read up on. let me know something.you never know i might like them as much as that bra size!!LOL thanks
Don't even start on that! During the summer months at the college (where I work) all you see are very healthy D and DD equipped ladies. Never knew they could be large AND extremely firm at the same time! Unfortunately they all go downhill after 25. (sigh.) We even had one completely undo her top in the hallway - she thought nobody was around during that afternoon, plus the 95+ degree weather didn't stop her any.

Percy

Quick Reply: Best Sub Brand?????