Sponsored by:

Radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-02, 02:58 PM
Bret
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio problems

When driving sometimes with the windows down, I like to turn the radio up pretty loud. I have a 99 RX300 with the nak. system and was just wondering what is causing my radio to mute (still on but no noise not evern when changing from CD to radio or vice versa) . Also I have noticed it more after washing , but this just might be my imagination because it has happened when covered with dust. PLEASE HELP < ITS DRIVING ME NUT ...

PS. IT only happens when the volume is turned up more than half way
Old 09-11-02, 05:37 PM
Handogen
Driver

Let me get this straight... your radio mutes in these conditions;

1. Windows rolled down
2. Volume turned up more than halfway.

... and it tends to be worse after you wash it, though you're not really sure?

The conditions you describe don't make much sense. . why would the windows being down have any effect to the radio? I would venture to guess you have a short in your wiring from 1 - abusing your stereo (likely) or 2 - having faulty equipment.

"Do you read the Bible, Bret?" - (sorry, couldn't resist)

Hando
Old 09-11-02, 08:00 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Makes lots of sense

Many CD players have a relative humidity detection device that causes them to completely shut down. Additionally if condensation forms on the disc surface it WILL mute.

Alabama...

In May of 01 as we neared Birmingham early in the evening I encountered condensation forming on the outside of my windshield resulting from the A/C cooled interior!

Windows down, HIGH humdity, no benefit from A/C dehumdification! Not so sure of AL but Memphis sure does.

Just washed it!

Inside and out?

Run some water (not too much) from a garden hose into the airflow inlets just under the rear hood lip and make sure the drain for that area is open and it runs through onto teh ground. You might want to also check to see that the A/C evaporator condensate drian is open to free flow.

OR.

BASS really up high?

Jarring the CD player with high Bass output will make the CD sound like a record skipping, mutes, but then continues, mutes again, etc.
Old 09-11-02, 11:13 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bret,

Welcome to CLubLexus. I've moved this thread to our Lexus Electronics forum. I hope you'll find the responses you need.

Good luck.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 09-11-02 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-12-02, 12:36 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's another guess based on the limited information you provided:
You may have something (an electronic part) going into thermal shutdown. You roll the windows down, so now you're turning it up and calling for more bass, hence more current, and something overheats over a period of time. Does the muting cycle over a period of minutes? (allowing whatever it is to cool down for a bit and return to normal operation)
If you can determine that this is the case, you may have a bad stock amplifier that needs to be replaced.
Old 09-17-02, 02:50 PM
Bret
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

sorry about the windows confusion ...I did mean I turn the radio up louder with them down and ususally this is when it happens .. Basically it happens when I drive with the volume up loud longer than 10 min or so ???????
Old 09-18-02, 12:16 AM
Beaker
Driver School Candidate

I'm gonna guess that you had the volume a little higher than half way up.....
Had my system do that once, I mistakenly had the volume cranked up during a quiet piece of music, and when the noisy stuff started the Amp said "enuff', and shut down for a few seconds, long enuff to turn the **** down a bit (a lot!)

It's shut down or spray paper cone parts all over the inside of the interior........ sort of a re-settable fuse.
Old 09-18-02, 12:32 PM
Handogen
Driver

Bret,
I found myself completely "utilizing" the power of the stock stereo system. I decided to have the Infinity Basslink installed in the back area. Now I'm completely satisfied with the sound and I never had to turn it up over halfway.... unless the CD or radio station signal quality is bad. ..

Take care,
Hando