Sponsored by:

Need amp suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 03:25 PM
76mmturbo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need amp suggestions

I've already bought everything but the amp. I have a pioneer 3200bt hu. I have polk mm 5.25 components for the front. They are 200 watts peak and 90 rms each. Polk mm 6.5 2-way in the rear. They are 200 watts peak and 100 rms each. Also one kicker comp 4 ohm 300 watts peak and 150 rms svc 10 inch sub. I'm new to the audio game in general and have around 250-300 to spend on a amp to power this system. I've been doing some reading on the forums before posting this and I'm guessing a 5 channel amp would be got to run this right? If not what would be some good options to run. Any and all suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-11, 05:33 PM
76mmturbo
Pole Position

Looking at one of these. Does anyone know if they're pretty solid?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUNDSTREAM-RUB5...#ht_2401wt_962
Old 06-18-11, 10:34 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Not a bad amp. Soundstream used to be the ISH!!!! back in the day. Their quality fell for a while but they appear to have their ish back together now. Personally I have had good results from their tarantula line of amps. So, I would think the rubicon line should be ok. Can't comment on the price though.

Mack.....Thoughts???
Old 06-19-11, 12:09 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Not a bad amp. Soundstream used to be the ISH!!!! back in the day. Their quality fell for a while but they appear to have their ish back together now. Personally I have had good results from their tarantula line of amps. So, I would think the rubicon line should be ok. Can't comment on the price though.

Mack.....Thoughts???
I agree - Soundstream used to be a very high quality product back in the heyday of car audio. I'm not 100% sold on the idea that Epsilon, parent company of Kole, Fahrenheit, SPL, Power Acoustik, and PPI, along with Soundstream, hasn't completely bastardized them, but it looks like a decent build. I think they are trying to use PPI and Soundstream as "top tier" brands and the others as middle/bottom tier, but that doesn't mean they don't share a lot of the same technology/topology.

One thing I'd be concerned with is why if "premier electronics" is an authorized dealer the warranty is through them. They state at the top it's a manufacturer's warranty, but in the auction it states differently. I'd be leery about that.

If that amp can live up to the specs, and I think it can because they are not outrageous, I'd say it's a good candidate if you want to go the all in one route. In your case, I don't see that being a bad choice. If you were considering any additional upgrades, however, a dedicated power supply for each is essential, IMO, for top performance.

As korsu said, not commenting on price.

Big Mack
Old 06-19-11, 12:58 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im running an ED nine.1 1200 watts @ 1ohm for the price I think its awesome. Now I just need to do the big three and probably a new battery.
Old 06-19-11, 03:01 PM
76mmturbo
Pole Position

Thanks. I picked one up off of another site for about 40 bucks cheaper. I'll comment on it once I get everything hooked up. I think it should be good cause I have no plans for anything more. I'm not much of a audio person just wanted something better than stock after listening to my mom new tsx stock system. Even her stock speakers made mine sound like crap imo. Now I will be happier hopefully.

Last edited by 76mmturbo; 06-19-11 at 05:23 PM.