Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Component speakers. Are they neccessary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-11, 07:08 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Component speakers. Are they neccessary?

So in my LS400, I've got one speaker working up front, and one in the back. I'd like to replace all of my speakers. What i'm wondering is do you have to use component speakers up front? I'm on a tight budget and don't want to shell out the extra $$$ for components(and I can't find any in 4"). If I do chose normal 4" speakers, what should I look for? 2 way? 3 way?. Particular brands? Will it be a simple unhook the old one, hook in the new one affair?
Old 06-23-11, 07:01 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Components are crucial if you are looking for better sound seperation, imaging, and staging.

But, there is nothing wrong with upgrading with simple coaxials (two-way) or triaxials )three-way. The tough part is the fact that the stockers are only 4" (roughly - Lexus/Nakamichi used an odd size for the speakers. not exactly 4"). The output from the small 4" is really not adequate for the front of the vehicle. Switch to a 5.25" 2 or 3 way and you'll be much happier. Adapters can be found all over the net to switch from the 4 to the 5.25.
Old 07-19-11, 05:44 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

When you say that a small 4" is not adequate, what would it be inadequate for? I guess this is all relative, since different people have different opinions, or listen to different kinds of music at different volumes. I'm not too picky with my audio, I just want it all to work. Will a non-comp just drop right in there?
Old 07-19-11, 08:48 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is your system the factory Nakamichi upgrade or the base Pioneer? You would be better off getting the original speakers off ebay or this forum. You can likely get another 4 inch speaker to fit but it will sound much different. Particularly if you go with a coaxial speaker (tweeter built in). The increased high frequency output from the coaxial will make your system sound like it is lacking in bass output. Also, the plastic enclosures "boxes" that your factory speakers are mounted in are specifically tuned for the speakers themselves. Changing to an alternate speaker will change this tuning altogether.........for better or for worse but it will be noticeable.

Lastly, if your system is a Pioneer system then I have two (maybe four) door speakers in great shape from my 1993 LS400 that I will sell to you if you wish.

Good luck!
Old 07-19-11, 08:51 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh, your original question regarding component speakers...............

Yes, they are much better but you won't get the most out of them without additional amplifier power.

FYI.........Your car actually comes with component speakers. A tweeter is mounted in the upper door "sail panel" and the 4 inch midrange is mounted in the door.
Old 07-21-11, 12:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the advice. That sucks that there really aren't any viable replacement speakers. I know that the fronts are component, but the passenger side one is only plays very quietly. I was looking at doing a full speaker replacement since the back driver's side speaker has no sound at all. I'm on a budget however, which really limits me on component speakers.

Also, the stereo I have is an aftermarket JVC head unit. I don't know what sound system the car originally had.

Last edited by FrankReynoldsCPA; 07-21-11 at 01:00 PM.