Sponsored by:

Tweeter distortion in GS400

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 11:48 AM
docrings
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeter distortion in GS400

I have the stock NAV stereo in my 2000 GS400, and the passenger door tweeter has an intermittent distortion only really noticeable during DJ speaking, or talk radio. It isn't "cutting out" like if the wiring was loose, just distorted.
It only comes on after the amp "warms up" about 20 minutes or so. If I turn down the volume for a few seconds and then back up, the distortion resolves for a few moments.
Is this an "amp" problem or a speaker problem... I suspect the former only if each speaker has its own individual amplifier (does it?)

Is this a common problem with the stock stereo? And what is the best repair?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-02, 12:10 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

From what you're saying, it sounds like an AMP problem. If it was the speaker, the problem would be there all the time, it would not come and go if you turn the volume down and then back up. Sounds like you may have a partially toasted output transistor in your amp, but there could be other wacky things going on. (Yes, each speaker has its own individual amplifier circuit in the 'amp', but some are not directly accessible because they're buried in an integrated circuit.) You may want to have it looked at by an electronics repair shop, assuming you're no longer in warranty, but they may not be able to work on your car effectively. A Lexus dealer, however, will want to swap out your amp and/or other components at your expense, could get ugly. Beware.
Old 09-19-02, 10:09 PM
docrings
Rookie

Thumbs up

Good thing is I just bought the car as a Certified Pre-Owned, so it's got 3 years and about 45,000 miles to go!
At the next complementary oil change, I'll have them replace the amp (not the speaker!)

Thanks!
Doc Rings
Old 09-26-02, 04:28 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I suspect it is the speaker but I'd have to hear it for myself to make a final judgment...

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
www.tmengineering.net
Old 06-13-04, 08:58 PM
GS1day
Driver

Default Speaker loose?

I haven't taken a tweeter apart in one of these cars, but I have seen in others where the tweeter will break loose from the mount, and get lodged in there a little different angle, and the vibrations from the speaker playing would cause the tweeter to vibrate in its spot.

I'd pull open that tweeter and see what it looks like if I didn't have the warrantee. Instead you're smart to just bring it in and let them figure it out, but my bet is on the tweeter mount.

FC
Old 06-14-04, 08:48 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The thread you replied to is pushing two years old.